PDA

View Full Version : You guys asked for more pics!

Bob Winkler
09-16-2004, 7:44 AM
I've attached some slightly diffferent projects coming from my workshop.

The first pic is part of a raised paneled dining room made with mdf. First big project made with mdf, and was happy with the outcome. Got a lot of use from my raised panel router bit. Because I made everything (panels, baseboard, rails, stiles, chair rail), I could size it exactly for my wall lengths, and to fit under windows, around doors, etc.

The next pair of pics I'm especially proud of. Not because of the difficult woodworking involved, but because of my solution to the problem. I needed a dog gate to keep puppy contained while we weren't home. But I didn't like the idea of the typical "baby gate." So I integrated a sliding panel into the base cabinet "L" in my kitchen. I used oak to match the cabinets, and in the "open" position, most guests never even notice that there is a gate there. See the open and closed pics to see what I mean.

Gary Max
09-16-2004, 7:52 AM
They are both very cool. The wife really likes the gate you built.
Thanks for posting the pics

Tyler Howell
09-16-2004, 8:02 AM
Another hit out of the park!;)

Jason Roehl
09-16-2004, 8:03 AM
I like 'em both, but that dog gate is ingenious! Great thinking!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2004, 8:31 AM
Great solution and followthrough!

Bob Hovde
09-16-2004, 8:54 AM
Good work, but if that's a puppy, you'll need a higher gate.

Bob

Michael Stafford
09-16-2004, 9:01 AM
Great idea on the gate. But puppy looks like he's thinking" You're not so smart, I'll still get in the dining room and mess the carpet on Thanksgiving morning".

Bob Winkler
09-16-2004, 9:04 AM
Good work, but if that's a puppy, you'll need a higher gate.

Bob
I think the picture makes her appear bigger than real life. In any case, she's not much of a jumper, especially if she can't see what's on the other side.

Let's hope she's finally done growing.

Now if she were only a shop dog like many of you guys have. She runs like heck whenever I turn on any power tool. Maybe I need to move over to the Neanderthal world to keep the shop quiet.:D

Non

Russell Svenningsen
09-16-2004, 9:17 AM
What a great idea! Tremendous!

Pete Harbin
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Very nice. Looks sharp.
Bob H beat me to it...if that's a puppy... :eek:

Does the sliding panel have a drop down foot, or meet up with another piece when it's in puppy containment mode?

Pete

John Miliunas
09-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Bob, super job on both projects and that "gate" idea is simply awesome! :D Very well done, indeed!

On another note, the fact that she runs when a power tool is turned "on" is a GOOD thing! Animals have much more sensitive hearing than we do and excessively loud noises can actually be hurting them both, at the time it's happening, as well as permanent degradation. :( Just enjoy her outside the shop and both of you will be happier in the long run! :) Anyhow, thanks much for the pics! Nice work. :cool:

Bob Winkler
09-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Very nice. Looks sharp.

Does the sliding panel have a drop down foot, or meet up with another piece when it's in puppy containment mode?

Pete
The piece of corner trim I made actually extends all the way to the floor and provides support in the containment mode. It slides easily on my ceramic tile when moving. As far as meeting with another piece, I was lucky in that it snugs against a drawer pull of a wall mounted desk, so Nikki can't force it open by pushing it. If I had to I could provide a mating piece.

Or since I'm a EE, I could just electrify it :D . Just kidding!!

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 1:01 PM
EE? Cool...me, too! :) Nice solution, Bob. I love those little things that just make a situation perfect.

Now tell us about that Queen Anne sofa table in front of the nice panelling on your wall! ;)

Bob Winkler
09-16-2004, 1:58 PM
EE? Cool...me, too! :)

Now tell us about that Queen Anne sofa table in front of the nice panelling on your wall! ;)
Gee, Chris, here I thought you were a professional garage remodeler :D :D .

The dining room side table was unfortunately a purchased piece that surprisingly appeared while I was away on business.:eek: My SWMBO is funny like that- she often surprises me. All I can say is that it matches the cherry dining set we had, and it didn't take a year to build.

Jerry Olexa
09-16-2004, 2:29 PM
Bob Great job. Like your approach on the pet gate. Good solution. My wife likes your paneling as well as your choice of furniture. I'm afraid it'll cost me $ later. Good pics.