PDA

View Full Version : Please, can we just use words?

Karl Brogger
09-17-2009, 5:27 PM
LOML, ROFLMBOWWTCEAC, RAS, etc....

By the way, the middle one would be: Rolling On Floor Laughing My Butt Off While Watching The Cat Eat A Cheeto. (Oops, sorry, meant BTW)

I'm twenty eight years old, and I can't even keep up with this crap. The number of times I have to google something is getting tiresome. I'll even take the days of spelling Nazi's above the over use of acronyms.:mad:

glenn bradley
09-17-2009, 5:44 PM
Time marches on. . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=56320

DAMHIKT had me going for quite awhile.

Jason Beam
09-17-2009, 5:49 PM
IME, trying to get a bunch of people to speak the way I want them to has never gone over well.

What gets me most is people who use the acronym then parenthetically tell me what the acronym means - what's the point of abbreviating if you're spelling it out again?!

Just gotta roll with the punches, I guess.

When everyone else uses then/than correctly, maybe I'll stop using acronyms :P

John O'Brien
09-17-2009, 6:01 PM
Since the subject was bought up, what is a BORG??? I gather it means a Home Depot or Lowe's, but what does it actually stand for.

I'm curious.

John

ROY DICK
09-17-2009, 6:34 PM
Big Orange Retail Giant.
Roy

Dave Johnson29
09-17-2009, 6:38 PM
What gets me most is people who use the acronym then parenthetically tell me what the acronym means - what's the point of abbreviating if you're spelling it out again?!

As a former Journalist for many years of my life, it is the standard style to use caps for the words you are about to acronym, then follow that in parens with the acronym. Thereafter in the text you can use the acronym.

Old school, I guess I never see it these days. Ahh Progress Ain't It Nice (APAIN) ;):D

Art Mulder
09-17-2009, 6:40 PM
Big Orange Retail Giant.
Roy

Yes, but you can't forget that it also pays homage to the Borg of Star Trek, for their large square boxy spaceships, and their penchant for moving in and assimilating/taking-over/eliminating the competition.

It's one of the better acronyms out there. :rolleyes:

Jason Beam
09-17-2009, 6:42 PM
As a former Journalist for many years of my life, it is the standard style to use caps for the words you are about to acronym, then follow that in parens with the acronym. Thereafter in the text you can use the acronym.

Old school, I guess I never see it these days. Ahh Progress Ain't It Nice (APAIN) ;):D

I had wondered if that was the reason. But sometimes these people only use it the one time! Force of habit, maybe? Might as well just type it out without the acronym to begin with, says I! :D

Rick Moyer
09-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I agree with you Karl, but it is a losing battle. I have unfortunately now gotten to the point that I wave the white flag and sometime use them myself. I try to restrict this to when it's a pointed topic where most reading the thread are in tune with the subject matter, but I think this type of communication is inevitable.
I told my wife years ago that I was going to become a curmudgeon long before my time:p!

David Epperson
09-17-2009, 11:21 PM
TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Corporate America has been using TLAs for decades and the gigantic one I work for even has a TLA encyclopedia....

Josh Reet
09-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Just google anything you don't get. If you can't find an answer for it in the first 10 google results, then it's a safe bet that nobody else knows what it means either. And if that's the case, you can probably just ignore the post and not be any worse for the wear.

A lot easier than being "old man grammar" and trying to push a string. People are lazy and internet lingo is only going to get worse. Go read the kiddies at yahooanswers if you don't believe me.

Mike Henderson
09-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Corporate America has been using TLAs for decades and the gigantic one I work for even has a TLA encyclopedia....
What about the acronyms that require more than three letters?

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2009, 7:46 AM
What about the acronyms that require more than three letters?

Mike

They use FLAs.....FLAs......4-letter acronyms and 5-letter acronyms but no encylclopedia of them. You are on your own with them.:confused:

Jerome Hanby
09-18-2009, 8:07 AM
People don't/won't even use a Browser that has a spelling checker (or they just ignore it). I assume they never proofread what they type. And from the dearth of post that have an edited tag, never correct anything even if they do notice it. At least the acronyms get spelled correctly

Al Willits
09-18-2009, 8:10 AM
Its the way of the inner net it seems, you think this is bad, try reading some text messaging once.

Once in awhile I get them on my phone and I just delete them, if you can spend the time to text me in some other language, you can call or leave a verbal meassage...imho :D

Al...who thinks the grammar police are just as bad.

Alan Zenreich
09-18-2009, 8:14 AM
As long as we're being specific.

An editor once corrected me when I mentioned that TLA was itself a TLA (Three letter acronymn)

She pointed out that abbreviations pronounced as a series of letters are not an acronymns, but instead an intialisms. So because TLA is pronounced "Tee Ell Ay", it is an initialism. The same goes for FBI.

An acronymn is an abbreviation that is pronounces as if it were a word. For example BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant) is pronounced as a a single syllable. NATO is prounounced as two syllables.

Often the word acronymn is used instead of initialism.... but that doesn't make it correct.

Chuck Saunders
09-18-2009, 8:18 AM
Geez, what next a war on contractions? The problem is not wanting to go back it is what is coming -- text speak. Wait till reading posts is more like reading license plates.

John O'Brien
09-18-2009, 8:23 AM
A friend of mine had a tie that said;

IITYWTMWYBMAD

It was written multiple times as a design on the tie. He wore it to many parties and meetings at restaurants.
Inquisitive people would ask the meaning and he would say;

If I Tell You What This Means Will You Buy Me A Drink

Needless to say everyone did. :D

John

John Pratt
09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I, for one, am not one of the tech savvy individuals, but I have learned to just roll with it and try to figure them out.

Thanks for the link, though. That will definitely be helpful in the future.

If you really want to see a lot of acronyms, hang around a military post for an hour. After 24 years in the Army, I used acronyms that I didn’t even know what they meant. Everyone just understood what the thing was. They have meetings at the pentagon about projects and missions where people sitting at the table making decisions don’t even understand that acronym is being discussed. They have a 300 page book which list meanings and doesn’t even scratch the surface.

This is from an actual email:

The CO and the XO want a MTG regarding a CIF issue concerning the upcoming FTX and ARTEPs. If the PSGs and 1SG can create a TL with DTG the OPORD should happen WOAH.

Lee Schierer
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
[COLOR=black]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
This is from an actual email:

The CO and the XO want a MTG regarding a CIF issue concerning the upcoming FTX and ARTEPs. If the PSGs and 1SG can create a TL with DTG the OPORD should happen WOAH.

Makes perfect sense to me.....

Lee Capt. USN (RET)

Jim Koepke
09-18-2009, 1:14 PM
There could be a book thicker than Webster's Unabridged Dictionary to cover all of these initializations, condensations, acronyms and abreviations.

Here are a few that were not on the list linked to above and one restatement for FUBAR. As said, I have never heard of FUBAR ending with Being All Right. The closest to that is FUBYGOI.

AKA - Also Known As
AOBTD - Another One Bites The Dust

BFF - Best Friend Forever
BM - Bad Message, Bad Man, Big Mother, Bowel Movement
BO'd - Back Ordered
BTB - Bite The Bullet
BTBO - Buy The Big One
BTYL - Back To You Later
BYF - Bring Your Friend(s)

DA - Darwin Award, presented to those who have removed themselves from the gene pool in an inglorious manner before reproducing another idiot.
DANWDRL (Dan With Darrel)- Driving At Night With Daytime Running Lights, the actual act or doing something sumb like hunting bear with a sling shot.

FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond Any Redemption, if it is FUBAR, it is never all right.
FUBYGOI - Fouled Up, But You'll Get Over It.

JBYMATFP - Just Between You, Me And The Fence Post...

TTWP - This Too Will Pass

YCJCYAQFTJB - Your Curiosity Just Cost You A Quarter For The Juke Box (may be out dated, seen in old night clubs.)

jim

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-18-2009, 2:12 PM
why? .......