PDA

View Full Version : two gloats in one

John Pratt
09-17-2009, 4:15 PM
It has been a pretty good month for acquiring wood for me. Last month my installation (Army) got rid of an old equipment trailer (the kind that hauls dozers and such). I got the 10 - 8/4 X 12" X 20' planks (free) from the floor of the trailer which to my surprise turned out to be Purple Heart. Apparently it is the best wood for the trailers because it doesn't splinter like softer woods.

That is only gloat #1.

Yesterday a friend who knows I do woodworking directed me to a guy getting rid of a bunch of black walnut. I called and he told me he had about 70bf for $50. When I arrived I found it was only 40bf, but it was not walnut... it was Wenge. I didn't want to take advantage so I told him what he had, but he still only wanted $50. Looks like I am going to have some planning for projects for these finds.

I am as giddy as a school kid. To top it off my new TS arrived today, (Delta 36-L352). It should be interesting to see if it lives up to all the reviews I have read. I won't be putting it together for a couple weeks though. I am moving the shop to a larger space (40'X80') and won't be set up for a while.

george wilson
09-17-2009, 4:24 PM
How much sand and dirt are ground into those trailer boards? I'd hate to put it through my planer. Be careful.

Stephen Edwards
09-17-2009, 5:40 PM
How much sand and dirt are ground into those trailer boards? I'd hate to put it through my planer. Be careful.

I keep a set of planer knives just for such material as this. In fact, to me it would be worth ruining a set of brand new knives (depending on what kind of planer you have, of course!) to get past whatever amount of sand and dirt may be ground into the PH. With my limited experience of working with PH, it's dense. My guess is that whatever sand or dirt may be in the wood, it probably isn't very deep below the surface.

Sounds like you have a right to be giddy! Enjoy your scores.

Chris Tsutsui
09-17-2009, 5:50 PM
The value of the PH should justify new blades anyways.

John Harden
09-17-2009, 5:53 PM
Yeah, you have a right to be giddy. Those are great finds!!!!!

Any idea what projects you'll use the purple heart for?

Regards,

John

Kent A Bathurst
09-17-2009, 9:20 PM
. ............I am moving the shop to a larger space (40'X80')............

Excuse me, but by my count that is 3 gloats.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-17-2009, 9:28 PM
You suck.....

Everyone repeat after me....

You suck......

NICE!!!! Wood envy.

David Christopher
09-17-2009, 9:31 PM
Excuse me, but by my count that is 3 gloats.

4 gloats 2 kinds of wood 1 40X 80 shop and 1 new table saw

Keith Christopher
09-17-2009, 11:01 PM
No photos no gloat !

John Pratt
09-18-2009, 8:54 AM
Thanks for the advice on the PH. I have used salvaged lumber on a number of occasions and you can bet that the wood will be checked extensively before it goes on any of my machinery. However, they really don’t look that bad. Other than a good layer of dust, I am not even sure they ever had a vehicle on these boards. There is not a chip or dent in them. Not sure what to make out of them yet. For me, the whole planning process of the project is what I enjoy. I usually spend twice the time to three times planning as I do building. It is when a project is over that I get kind of a let down. My wife says that women get (PPD) Post Partum Depression and I get (PPD) Post Project Depression.
I think the Wenge will be my biggest conundrum for a good project, and the fact that I have to take some extra precautions when working with it. Last time I worked with a sizable quantity, I wore a mask, but not goggles (just standard eye-pro) and I had a minor reaction to the wood. My eyes almost swelled shut, and I was dizzy for a couple days. I should have known better given the properties of the wood.

Since I am moving into the new shop which is a lot bigger, I am keeping my old saw (Delta 36-714B hybrid) and will probably use it for plywood products and pine. It was just too underpowered to work thick or harder woods. It will be nice to have two saws dedicated to separate functions.

Mike Cruz
09-18-2009, 2:04 PM
And urine....

Kyle Iwamoto
09-18-2009, 3:00 PM
Got a metal detector?
Woodcraft has a small cheap metal detector. I had reservations about it working, but it did find a broken off nail in some old mahogany flooring I had recycled. I couldn't see it from either edge, since it had broken off in the board. Save a blade and it will pay for itself.