PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee CMS anyone?

Sylvain Deschamps
09-17-2009, 2:15 PM
I bought the Milwaukee 6950-20 dual bevel CMS at HD and returned it. Nice looking tool, 12 inch blade with digital readout, good critics on the web. But to tilt left or right required excessive force and did not ease up even after 3 to 4 minutes of tilting. I investigated the mount and mecanism without dismantling it in order not to compromise the warrenty. I just couldn't tilt it without forcing it excessively. So I returned it for refund. Has anyone else here tried it or has purchased it? I am wondering if it's a bad batch sent to my area. I visited another local tool store who also had it and there floor demo was as hard if not more. Also the right side adjustable fence could not be adjusted because of a flaw in the conception of the sliding shoulders of this part. It simply could not be slid over to the right because of a protruding piece of molded aluminium that should not be there. The tool guy at HD new about the problem and said that Milwaukee was doing something about it. But meanwile the are still selling for 700$ plus taxes. (thats 850$ up here)

Mike Henderson
09-17-2009, 3:13 PM
I can't comment on the Milwaukee but I bought a Bosch 12" dual bevel CMS and have been very satisfied with it - accurate, easy to use, and seems to hold up well.

It's pretty heavy though. Probably not a good choice for a portable saw.

Mike

Rob Haskell
09-17-2009, 3:20 PM
Hi-I've had the 12" for about 6 months. No problems so far, changing the angle
is just right. I agree about the bump in the extrusion, can't figure out why that's there. Since you've brought it up, I'm going to cut it out. My one complaint is the dust collection connection. They still haven't come out with an adapter to connect to a hose. I emailed them about it and they responded but that saw has been out for quite awhile now and no solution but duct tape.
Don't know if I'd recommend any other brands. The new Makita with the double rails has some detractors. If you want good dust control there's the Milwaukee and the Festool.

Sylvain Deschamps
09-18-2009, 9:33 AM
Thanks for the response. I need a dual cms with digital readout for it's accuracy. At least that what I thought I needed. Even though my tablesaw sleds and incra system are very accurate, some cuts are too long and require more space than what I have at the TB. Anyway this brings me back to the thinking process of need verses necessity.

Benoit Bissonnette
09-18-2009, 9:50 AM
I have the 12" Milwaukee SCMS and have no problem with changing bevels and/or miter angles. The lever at the back has 2 positions. Lifted half way and you get the usual preset angles, lifted up totally and it's free to move anywhere. Of course, it's a big heavy machine but it moves very smoothly.

The non-sliding "problem" of the fence on the right side is obviously a "bug" but you can grind it off. I wouldn't reject this SCMS based only on that small annoyance.

The digital readout is quite amazing. I've just built an exterior structure with some angles in there and I calculated them all in a CAD drawing. I've replicated those angles on the saw and everything came up perfectly. I think it's probably the best SCMS, by a small margin, on the market right now.

Good luck.

Benoit