PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and a half.

Jason Roehl
09-15-2004, 7:56 PM
Mr. FedEx paid me a kind little visit today. About a month ago, I was minding my own business at the Indiana State Fair, when lo and behold, there was a booth in the commercial building set up by a Little Giant Ladder sales rep. I listened to his spiel, told him I'd think about it and give him a call. Well, I didn't make it back out of the building before I had to go back. I had now seen both the LG and the Werner knock-off (which I was strongly considering at 1/2 the price of the LG), and was duly convinced the LG was better. I got a "show special," so I got not one, but TWO accesories with it, plus free shipping. So I selected the work platform and a leg leveler (handy when painting exteriors), all for $380 including tax.

The half-gloat is that there is something orange that runs at 13,500 rpms in a brown truck somewhere betwixt Lake Havasu, AZ and here. It's useful to turners, and replaces a couple items that got stolen from me a couple months ago. Oh, and it will help keep me warm this winter. (This is the WOODWORKING-related part).

Rob Russell
09-15-2004, 8:16 PM
You'll like the Little giant. I have one of the 26', type 1A ladders. I needed the height for wiring a 14' ceiling and other stuff. It's a great ladder and i've gotten mucho use out of it.

Now the bad news. You should have gotten 2 platforms. You stand on one and use the other as a work platform, paint stand, etc. Given your profession - I'd order a second platform now. I have 2 platforms and am glad that I do. I've hardly missed the leg leveller. There were maybe 1 or 2 times it would have been nice, but I used both platforms a lot.

Rob

Jason Roehl
09-15-2004, 8:48 PM
Now the bad news. You should have gotten 2 platforms. You stand on one and use the other as a work platform, paint stand, etc. Given your profession - I'd order a second platform now. I have 2 platforms and am glad that I do. I've hardly missed the leg leveller. There were maybe 1 or 2 times it would have been nice, but I used both platforms a lot.

Rob
That was probably my biggest internal debate. I figured I'd give the platform a try before I went for two. I got the leveler because there have been WAY too many times I did things off of uneven ground outside, in a risky manner. I'm not getting any younger, and I have several dear to me who need my provision, hence the leveler. So it's not really bad news, just delayed good news. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Jason, I just bought what I believe is the 22' LG. Used it to paint my new shop. Love it! I got one stand wished I'd got two. I've always been afraid of heights even as a kid when I worked for my father on oil rigs. Since breaking my back, I'm scared to death of heights! One more fall might make me a paraplegic! I greatly appreciated the LG while painting my shop. My neighbor came over....looked at it and he might borrow it when he paints his shop. His has 14' walls so he can park his RV in it. In short.....I don't think you'll regret it!