PDA

View Full Version : radial saw attatchments - help

eric staalsen
09-17-2009, 1:30 PM
I have an old radial saw where you can flip the saw over and use the other arbor as a molder, router or planer I believe- Where can I get my hands on such attatchments for this use of the saw - Please help

Stephen Tashiro
09-17-2009, 1:52 PM
Better mention the make and model of the saw. ( "old" did make a lot of tools! )

Jim O'Dell
09-17-2009, 2:13 PM
I'm going to guess it was a Craftsman, but could be wrong. I have a molding head that I used on mine at one time. Motor is too slow for much routing. May work with big panel bits. The molding head made pretty rough cuts, again I think because of the speed. Craftsman may still have some of these available. But I tell you, that molding head is scary!! I don't mind using a RAS, but I'll never use the molding head again.
I also had a chuck head that would screw on the shaft. Can't imagine using it for a drill press, though. :rolleyes: Jim.

Fred Hargis
09-17-2009, 2:56 PM
I'm also guessing it's a C'man, although some of the later Dewalts had a threaded arbor on the right side of the motor as well. There's a lot of this stuff sold on e-bay, and you might watch the FS sections of some of the woodworking forums.

mickey cassiba
09-17-2009, 3:36 PM
Delta does as well on their "shopmaster" RAS, thogh it is also a little weak to be running a moulder head on. The moulder head is not in the new catalog. I'll look up the number when I get home.

Matt Day
09-17-2009, 4:36 PM
I've got a bunch of attachments for my C'man RAS such as moulder cutters. I don't think I'll ever use them, and when I move I plan to get rid of the whole thing and send in the motor for the $100 rebate. If you want to pay shipping, I'll see what I have and send it to you.

Louis Brandt
09-17-2009, 5:00 PM
I also have the molding head and the various cutters that came with it for my 1960's Craftsman RAS, and I agree with Jim. I wouldn't recommend that anyone use a molding head on a RAS. I've used my RAS for cross-cutting, cutting dados, I've used the chuck attachment to use it as a drill, and I've even done a few rip cuts with it (although I don't do any ripping on it anymore), but the one thing that I would never recommend to anyone would be to use the molding head. It just looks too dangerous to me.
Louis

Howard Acheson
09-17-2009, 5:57 PM
I have an old radial saw where you can flip the saw over and use the other arbor as a molder, router or planer I believe- Where can I get my hands on such attatchments for this use of the saw - Please help

Sears has them for their RAS and I believe they will fit other manufacturer's RAS's.

Peter Quinn
09-17-2009, 8:59 PM
DeWalt made them as well. There is a molding blade guard for sale on Ebay presently for older DeWalts in the shaper cutter listings. You can use a Magic molder head I believe, but you will need hold downs, feather boards, a guard (which could be shop made into a fence), and a power feed wouldn't be the worst idea either.

Loren Hedahl
09-18-2009, 8:57 AM
Montgromery Ward (remember them?) sold a radial arm saw that had gearing on the opposite end of the motor to produce router-like rpm's. I don't remember if it had a chuck or a collet setup.

I've got a friend that had one in his garage a bunch of years ago. It had been his dad's and was among a bunch of tools his dad brought over when he sold his house to go full-time fifth wheeling. Don't know if he still has it!

eric staalsen
09-18-2009, 9:57 AM
It's a Black & Decker Model 1714 - The balde says RPM's 4,400 - Then on the opposite side it has a spindle that says RPM's 17,600.