PDA

View Full Version : Mullberry Tree Wood

Mac McAtee
09-15-2004, 7:43 PM
Had a Mullberry tree die in the woods behind the house. Let it alone for about a year. Trunk something like 6-8" dia. Cut it down, split up some of it for wood to use in the BBQ smoker. It is a good lite smoke flavor if you are in to that.

Took about 3 ft. of the main trunk and split it down the middle with a froe. Took the bark off of it, but that was not much of an issue, in that it was falling off the wood anyway. This eveining I cut a 12" long piece off of one of the halves. Squared up two surfaces and cut a bunch of 3/4" pen blanks out of it. I didn't count but 30-40 of them. It is a beautiful yellow color with brown streaks at each growth ring.

Will Mullberry hold the yellow color? Will it all turn brown over time?

I can take a picture of the blanks and post, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Greg Heppeard
09-15-2004, 7:45 PM
I'd like to see them...I'm sure others would too.

John Shuk
09-15-2004, 8:06 PM
A friend has told me that he thinks he could fool Alan Lacer with a piece of Mulberry if he told him it was Osage Orange which Alan claims as hi Favorite turning stock . If it is like Osage it will turn a gorgeous brown over time. Maybe Mulberry will too. Enjoy the wood any which way though!
John

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 8:07 PM
Mac,

You know the drill, Buddy...we need PICS!! :D

Mac McAtee
09-15-2004, 8:29 PM
Here is a picture of the fresh cut blanks. I cut them around 12" long and will cut them in half at a later date. The yellow looking ones are the Mullberry and to the left the brownish ones are a pear tree that I got part of about 6 years ago.

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 8:34 PM
I've seen a lot of folks turn things from mulberry...I even have a couple hunks on my shelves that I got from a local woodworking friend. I believe that it will brown out a bit like any wood will with exposure to UV and oxidation, but it's still a pretty wood. Enjoy!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2004, 11:25 PM
I did several bowls about 18 months ago out of Mulberry. The grain has "browned" up, but the basic color is still yellow. They have NOT been in sunlight, which, I believe, would increase the color change. The graining should make an interesting pen.

Have fun turning them.

Bruce

Paul Downes
09-15-2004, 11:40 PM
I've used mullberry as a bow wood. It has a lot of string follow but it will make a descent bow if you recurve the tips. It does oxidize to a light brown color over time.

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 3:02 PM
Nice stuff, Mac!

Bill Grumbine
09-16-2004, 3:20 PM
A friend has told me that he thinks he could fool Alan Lacer with a piece of Mulberry if he told him it was Osage Orange which Alan claims as hi Favorite turning stock . If it is like Osage it will turn a gorgeous brown over time. Maybe Mulberry will too. Enjoy the wood any which way though!
John

Hi John

Yes, mulberry will turn a very pretty golden brown, but no, anyone who is familiar with both mulberry and osage will not be fooled. While they are similar in color and grain, they are not similar enough. Mulberry is yellower, while osage has an eletric orangey yellow to it when freshly cut. Additionally, while both are ring porous woods, mulberry is coarser in its grain and pores. The bark is fairly different too.

Bill