PDA

View Full Version : Question about attaching a table top on long tables

Larry Feltner
09-17-2009, 8:32 AM
I have built some relatively short tables and I have always attached the tops with figure 8s along the width of the top to allow for expansion and contraction across the grain. I am thinking of building a much longer piece. So my question is when building a long table, such as a sofa table, or a TV table, what is the best way to attach the top. It doesn't seem like it would be enough to attach it with figure 8s at the end of the table, leaving the middle of the table with no attachment points. I have thought about putting a cross member in the frame in the middle of the table and putting a screw through the middle of the cross support into the table top to provide additional strength. This would still allow some movement in the top. Is there a better way?

Jamie Buxton
09-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Does your long table have aprons? I just screw the long aprons directly to the top, in the middle of those long aprons. The top is going to expand and contract, but not a great deal -- maybe a sixteenth or an eighth. The aprons will bend to accomodate that. Near the ends, I don't use the direct-screwing. I use figure-8s or the like on the short aprons, as close as I can get to the long edges of the top.

Chris Friesen
09-17-2009, 10:52 AM
A number of possibilities are discussed at the link below. The wooden clip (aka "button") is probably the classiest option.

http://www.benchnotes.com/Fastening%20Table%20Tops/fastening_table_tops.htm