PDA

View Full Version : What goes well with colored acrylic?

Steve Clarkson
09-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I was thinking about making a Halloween clock using orange and black acrylic. I was thinking about cutting out a design (cat, witch, etc.) in black and using the orange as the background......but what should I mount it on that would look good? A wooden plaque? Use a metal picture frame? I don't want it to look cheesy.

I was running into the same problem when I wanted to use a piece of white acrylic as the face plate on a plaque.......I wasn't sure that white acrylic and oak would really match......maybe a cherry piano finish or a black wood of some type?

So what does acrylic look good on?

Rodne Gold
09-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I would use another piece of acrylic as a backdrop , black would go well, so black , orange , black...
If you are gioing to use wood use a dark wood with it all , not oak , what would go well is a wood with a dark reddish stain..heres a pic with a dark wood

Darren Null
09-17-2009, 12:02 AM
You could do a pumpkin-shaped clock and have green leaf shapes as the base. Acrylic or painted wood- dealer's choice

Steve Clarkson
09-17-2009, 7:25 AM
Rodney....that's very sharp looking......is the gold lettering ink (looks printed) or paint (like rub n buff) ? What if it was white acrylic.....think it would still look good against a dark wood background?

Darren.....great idea about the green! I just happen to have some!

Thanks!

Rodne Gold
09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
It's gilders paste - like rnb but thicker and less runny and about 1/5th of the price for triple the volume - applied with a toothbrush and excess taken off with a cloth dampened with turpentine - as you can see , by the dates , it still looks good many years on.
I would use dark wood with white , for contrast....
Go have a look at the plaques on my site
http://www.tokerbros.co.za/plaque_shield_ppx.htm

Steven Wallace
09-17-2009, 2:52 PM
A cold beer goes well with just about all of my acrylic projects.:)

Bill Cunningham
09-22-2009, 8:07 PM
I was thinking about making a Halloween clock using orange and black acrylic. I was thinking about cutting out a design (cat, witch, etc.) in black and using the orange as the background......but what should I mount it on that would look good? A wooden plaque? Use a metal picture frame? I don't want it to look cheesy.

I was running into the same problem when I wanted to use a piece of white acrylic as the face plate on a plaque.......I wasn't sure that white acrylic and oak would really match......maybe a cherry piano finish or a black wood of some type?

So what does acrylic look good on?

Using orange and black, it's kinda hard 'not' to look cheezy..ha..
I have used engraved and cut shapes embedded into the wood for custom plaques..Wipe-on/Wipe-off a little acrylic colour to add some shading etc..