PDA

View Full Version : Carter Bandsaw Guides, etc

Mike OMelia
09-16-2009, 9:56 PM
I have been reading about carter guides and have been thinking about upgrading. I was especially intersted in the stabilizers. If you were going to "carterize" your bandsaw to the max, what parts would you replace? I am only concerned with guides (upper/lower), stabilizers, etc.

Mike

Mike OMelia
09-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Maybe I should be more specific. I have a 3hp Jet 18". The guides are rollers, not cermics. Maybe someone has converted the Jet 18" using Carter parts?

Mike

Stephen Edwards
09-17-2009, 12:43 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. If we already have a BS with with the stock roller guides that came with the saw, say a Grizzly or a Jet, for example, what would be the advantage, if any, of "upgrading" to the Carter guides?

Are the bearings a higher quality? Is the whole thing more stable, easier to adjust, etc.?

Is there something in particular about your current roller guides with which you're dissatisfied?

glenn bradley
09-17-2009, 12:51 AM
My Griz 17" has double rollers on each side of the blade and a rear bearing as well. I noticed one bearing was a bit sluggish and so ordered an upgraded set of 10 (there's 8 in the guides) for about $15. A cleaning of the bearing cleared up the sluggishness for now and I am prepared for a swap when needed.

On the other hand, my dad's 1950 Delta 14" was like a new saw with the carter hex shaft guide setup swapped out for the stock steel rub bars. As Stephen states; if your current guides are good quality and functioning correctly, the improvement would be less if any at all IMHO.

If your guides are lacking, a simple (and inexpensive) bearing upgrade could be all your need. If your current carrier and the mechanisms themselves are poorly designed; I can say the Carters are pretty top notch in design and execution.

Stephen Edwards
09-17-2009, 1:47 AM
My Griz 17" has double rollers on each side of the blade and a rear bearing as well. I noticed one bearing was a bit sluggish and so ordered an upgraded set of 10 (there's 8 in the guides) for about $15. A cleaning of the bearing cleared up the sluggishness for now and I am prepared for a swap when needed.

Same here. I'm not yet sure if the ones that I bought are an "upgrade" but I'll find out when I swap 'em out. They're actually skateboard bearings that are the same size as the Grizzly bearings on my saw. 10 of 'em for $14.95. We'll see how they work out.

Rick Moyer
09-17-2009, 7:14 AM
I had a bearing seize (well really it didn't seize, just grinding some) on my G0555. I replace the bearings with some I bought from a local bearing supplier. I took them in and showed him the old ones for reference. He asked me if I wanted the same cheap Chinese ones or the better ones. I hadn't said what they were off of, he could tell from the markings that they were import bearings. I opted for the better (more expensive) ones as he really seemed to know his stuff. Whether these are better or not, time will tell. I can't remember how much, but I think they were roughly twice as much $.

Mike OMelia
09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I think the reason I started going down this path was for the stabilizer. I read about how you could more effectively cut tighter radii with the Carter stabilizer. My bearing guides are fine, but Iturra (sp?) seems to like non-moving ceramics. Then, when you go to Carter's site, they say "this stabilizer is meant for this and that kit"...

Mike

Stephen Edwards
09-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I think the reason I started going down this path was for the stabilizer. I read about how you could more effectively cut tighter radii with the Carter stabilizer. My bearing guides are fine, but Iturra (sp?) seems to like non-moving ceramics. Then, when you go to Carter's site, they say "this stabilizer is meant for this and that kit"...

Mike

Last night, after reading this thread, I visited the Carter site and watched the guy cut with the stabilizer for one of those "this or that kit", as you mentioned. I hadn't realized that with the stabilizer you don't use the bottom bearing guides.

As for the stock bearings that come on Grizzly, Jet, etc., I'm still in a learning curve. While shopping around on the net it seems that the bearings that fit the G0555, (not sure if that's the same bearing on the larger Grizzly saws), is a common size bearing for skateboards. They are available in what appear to be different grades of quality and price.

I have noticed that the bearings that come with the G0555 series do get "sluggish", as Glenn said. In fact, I've had a couple to completely freeze up on me. I think that happened because I had them too tightly against the blade. Now, I leave just a bit more space between the bearings and the blade. I don't notice any difference in the quality of a resaw operation.

When the bearings have become sluggish or frozen, this was my solution to get them back in service, at least for a while:

I soaked the bearings overnight in kerosene. The next day I blew them out with the air hose. Then, I rubbed white lithium grease on both sides of the bearing and blew that inside the bearings with the air hose. That seemed to help a lot on most of the bearings.

Like I said, still learning...............

Howard Acheson
09-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe I should be more specific. I have a 3hp Jet 18". The guides are rollers, not cermics. Maybe someone has converted the Jet 18" using Carter parts?

Mike

Why do you think replacing your stock guides and guide system with the Carters would be an "upgrade"? If you think your current roller guides are inferior, all you need to do is buy some aftermarket roller bearings from any machine shop supplier. You can buy a lifetime supply of replacement roller bearings for the cost of the "Carter system".

Now the stabilizer is a different story if you run narrow blades.

glenn bradley
09-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm not yet sure if the ones that I bought are an "upgrade" but I'll find out when I swap 'em out.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The original bearings come in shielded, sealed and double sealed versions. I went for double sealed at the recommendation of several folks here at the Creek. Price difference on a set of 10 was $4 more for double sealed so, why not ;-)

Ed Moehlenpah
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
is it Grizzly 16"

GRI1 - Fits Grizzly 16" saws only.
?
Ed