PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone actually cut aluminum foil?

Dmitriy Kumets
09-16-2009, 5:26 PM
I've done some searching and read through the responses but haven't actually seen anyone that has tried to vector cut aluminum foil. I get about using shiny side down but will household foil cut? Anyone have approximate settings?
Thanks,
Dima
ps- I am looking to use the foil as a conductive material for a battery holder hence I am looking at household foil instead of laserfoil.

Garrett Nors
09-16-2009, 5:48 PM
I've done some searching and read through the responses but haven't actually seen anyone that has tried to vector cut aluminum foil. I get about using shiny side down but will household foil cut? Anyone have approximate settings?
Thanks,
Dima
ps- I am looking to use the foil as a conductive material for a battery holder hence I am looking at household foil instead of laserfoil.

I have never tried but I have always been told that my laser (45w) is no where near powerful enough to cut through dense metals, no matter the thickness. I was told that I'd need a 300+ watt laser to do metal cutting.

When I laser on metals there is never a mark or scratch or anything in the metal...so it does literally nothing to the metal's surface. I even tried 5 speed 100 power 5000 frequency and nada.

Frank Corker
09-16-2009, 5:53 PM
I have, I used scissors. If you think you are going to cut foil, forget it, not going to happen.

Dmitriy Kumets
09-16-2009, 5:57 PM
I have, I used scissors. If you think you are going to cut foil, forget it, not going to happen.

lol... ok... reality is a pain

Doug Griffith
09-16-2009, 6:21 PM
I sometimes use it as a cutting resist when I build MDF fixtures. After MANY passes it more or less just turns black and burns away.

Bruce Volden
09-16-2009, 7:07 PM
I have never "intentionaly" cut foil. I used it for underlayment in trying to keep my bed "nice" and have easily cut it with 25 Watts. Sorry but, I don't remember the settings :(. If you do get where you want to go with the foil how will you keep it fron crinkling?? I do some inlay work now you got my mind wandering!!! Darn you Dmitry :D

Bruce

Dan Hintz
09-16-2009, 7:51 PM
I have to wonder what would happen if you lay a piece of paper on top of a completely flat piece of foil (no airspace)... for thin foil (the cheap stuff), it can't be terribly different than some of the foiled cardboard pieces that cut like butter.

Peck Sidara
09-17-2009, 9:50 AM
It's not likely to happen using a low to medium C02 laser. A YAG or similar wavelength like our FiberMark Ytterbium Fiber laser can do it.

I've cut thin steel shims as well as different foils. The FiberMark isn't intended for vector cutting metals but for some of the applications we've come across, it's doable with good results.

Bruce Boone
09-17-2009, 2:01 PM
I use aluminum foil duct tape on the bottom of my carriage specifically because it doesn't burn. Sometimes you get reflections off metal parts, and I melted my X axis rollers once due to those reflections. I made another roller on the lathe and used the foil to keep that from happening anymore. It has worked fine.

Bill Cunningham
09-22-2009, 7:52 PM
It's not likely to happen using a low to medium C02 laser. A YAG or similar wavelength like our FiberMark Ytterbium Fiber laser can do it.

I've cut thin steel shims as well as different foils. The FiberMark isn't intended for vector cutting metals but for some of the applications we've come across, it's doable with good results.

Peck!! Would it burn the copper off a copperclad circuit board? Could I use it to etch circuit boards?

Peck Sidara
09-22-2009, 8:50 PM
Bill,

We had numerous inquires for such application, mainly for prototyping circuits. The FiberMark can remove the copper clad but it's a slow process (think spot size 10X smaller than C02, removing all the copper clad less traces). 2ndly alot of heat is being applied so there's chance of the copper clad delaminating.

It can do it for them one-offs but I wouldn't sell you a FiberMark with this as a primary application.

HTH,

Bill Cunningham
09-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Well, there goes another brilliant idea up in smoke.. so to speak.. Thanks Peck..

Dan Hintz
09-23-2009, 8:14 AM
Bill,

We had numerous inquires for such application, mainly for prototyping circuits. The FiberMark can remove the copper clad but it's a slow process (think spot size 10X smaller than C02, removing all the copper clad less traces). 2ndly alot of heat is being applied so there's chance of the copper clad delaminating.

It can do it for them one-offs but I wouldn't sell you a FiberMark with this as a primary application.

HTH,
Peck,

For prototyping, there's rarely a need to remove all copper (raster etch)... in most cases, all that's required is a vector route around the desired tracks, leaving a gap of 5mils or so. If the beam width is in the area of 1 mil, that's 5 or so vector runs around the board... I would think you could handle that without a problem. A sizeable board could be done in a couple of hours, no?

Peck Sidara
09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Dan,

If that's the case then yes, I say it's much more feasible then ablating the entire surface and will result in faster cycle times. Might be a new market to pursue for existing FiberMark owners and may help justify purchasing a FiberMark for those looking.

But if you're looking to ONLY dabble in PCB fabrication/design, cost of machine is too much compared to current method(s). If you're looking for full production, the FiberMark doesn't offer the needed thruput.

Dave Johnson29
09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Peck!! Would it burn the copper off a copperclad circuit board? Could I use it to etch circuit boards?

Bill,

The best idea for prototype and low production of circuit boards is a CNC engraver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQsAi_eRAI

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Aluminum will 'cut' in a CO2 laser, but it isn't the laser that cuts it.

Lay a piece of cut-able material on top of the foil, like mat board. The out gasses will melt through the foil. It isn't pretty, but with some 'sperimenting you may get decent results.

I've cut through window screen doing this. It took many repetitive cuts in the same spot through wood veneer, but it did 'cut'.

Dan Hintz
09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I suggested laying paper on top, but no one seemed to bother trying...

Tim Wooldridge
09-24-2009, 5:27 PM
Im pretty sure my 35w can vector through foil. Let me find out for sure. I have tried cutting through 1/8" stainless steel, and one slow pass will give me a permanent "scratch".

Bill Cunningham
09-24-2009, 9:55 PM
Im pretty sure my 35w can vector through foil. Let me find out for sure. I have tried cutting through 1/8" stainless steel, and one slow pass will give me a permanent "scratch".

Your not really getting a scratch, the heat is sucking the carbon in the stainless to the surface. If you go slow enough, you 'can' mark stainless with a C02 machine, but it's sloooooooow and not nearly as good as a shorter wavelength machine.. It's too slow to be of any commercial value in most cases