PDA

View Full Version : Home again only to discover...

Jason Tuinstra
09-15-2004, 6:29 PM
My family and I are finally home safe and sound. I lost my wallet at LAX, so if any of you California guys find it, just send me a private message and we'll take care of the details :D

The trip was a success! I met a ton of people, and as far as I know, SMC grew by one from my trip as well. I'm hoping to see a message pretty soon from the right Rev. Leo deVos.

I visited his shop, and it's quite nice. There is a slight problem with this new creeker though- he collects and uses these antiquated tools called "planes." My highly technically advanced Canon 300d didn't like this and showed its disdain for "planes" by not taking in-focus pictures. Take that! Okay, I forgot that I had turned off the auto focus.

Leo introduced me to a native wood called Rimu (I think the spelling is right). It's listed as softwood, but it is actually quite hard. The color varies, but the heartwood is a nice brownish color, not unlike cherry.

Anyway, we had a great time and look forward using our modern conveniences again, like central heating and cooling. :D Now I need to catch up a bit on the messages. I took a couple days off and it looks like you guys have been busy!

The first picture is Leo showing me what these big metal things with blades do :D The second picture is of a gift Leo made for my family out of Rimu - the coasters are pictures of various Kiwi flowers. He was quick to tell me that it was all planed and not a bit of sand paper touched it. Finally he was talking my language and then he said, no sand paper. Huh???

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 6:48 PM
Welcome back, Jason, and sorry about your wallet. Mark Singer is the closest one I know to LAX so he'll have to help you out! :)

That is a nice little coaster holder. Did you bring home any of this Aussie wood? :D

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 8:59 PM
Yea, those plane-thingies are the coming thing... :D

'Glad you had a great trip, Jason. Welcome back.