PDA

View Full Version : grandfather passed away...

curtis rosche
09-16-2009, 4:19 PM
my grandfather passed away yesterday. after a bad battle with alzheimers, in about 5 years he went from perfectly fine, never smoked never drank in his life, to not being able to remember his own name or faces. horrible thing to have to watch it happen to someone.
he was the person who got me into wood working. everytime we would go to our grandparents house we would end up in the basement working on some part or another to an huge marble run. it was never finished or put together, nothing really matched up. but my brother and i sure did learn to use almost all the tools in the basement from it. he is also the first person who put me infront of a lathe and started my own hobby. he will be greatly missed, but atleast he wont be stuck in a home not knowing what is going on around him anymore.

to those of you out there who have grandkids, take that extra time to show them the hobbies that you do, and the things you have learned. they will always remember you for it, and the time you spend with them will be priceless.

Clara Koss
09-16-2009, 4:23 PM
i feel saddened by your loss.... my grandad was so precious to me... i know how you feel.... but not only did he give you joy you gave him joy as well by being his buddy.... wishing you good memories....:(

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2009, 4:29 PM
Dear Curtis, please accept my condolences on the passing of your grandfather.

It is apparent from reading your post that you were able to spend some special times with him, and those memories will be with you.

Thanks for the encouragement to spend time with our children/grandchildren, it's something we often forgo in the rush that we call a modern life.

My grandfather was a scalar who worked for the government, he spent his life in logging camps. I remember sitting with him on the porch of his cabin, being instructed in the fine art of carving some odd shaped firewood.

Forty some years later he'd be disgusted to see how little my carving skills have evolved.:D

I'm going through the same issue with my Mom, she doesn't remember who I am. The elderly lady sitting across the table from me looks like my Mom, however I sure miss conversing with my Mom.

Best wishes and warmest thoughts..............Rod.

Brian Kent
09-16-2009, 4:58 PM
Curtis, our hearts are with you. I am grateful that he passed on some of his own life to you through your woodworking.

You really said a wonderful word there about us passing along the sam gift to our grandkids (and kids and nieces and nephews…).

Brian

Steve Schlumpf
09-16-2009, 5:03 PM
Curtis - sorry to hear about the passing of your grandfather! Sounds like you were able to spend some fun times with him and it is those memories that will live on. Also sounds like you learned a valuable lesson early in life - always take the time to create positive memories with family and friends as those memories are always there for us to cherish.

Phyllis Meyer
09-16-2009, 5:22 PM
Curtis,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! It sounds like Grandpa was a special man! The special times you spent with him are priceless, and they will be with you forever. I know this funeral time in the next few days is hard, but remember the most important thing is to celebrate his life! You are doing that right now by sharing him with us. Thanks for letting us know just how special he was!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Dennis Peacock
09-16-2009, 5:29 PM
Curtis,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandfather. I will remember you and the family in my prayers.

Jim O'Dell
09-16-2009, 7:50 PM
Curtis, I had the same experience with my Grand Dad. The last weekend visit that I saw him before he passed, he was in the nursing home. Dad and I went to see him. You could tell he knew who I was, but he couldn't get words to come out of his mouth. He got frustrated trying, then started crying. One of the hardest visits I've ever made. I worked with him one summer before high school, after he had retired and was bored and did percolation tests for septic systems. So basically we dug holes all summer. It was a great time that I will always cherish. Glad you have some great memories of your Grand Dad!

Alzheimers is a hideous disease that robs people of their lives from the inside out, and takes those around them on a rollercoaster ride where there aren't many high points. Jim.

Mark Hix
09-16-2009, 8:22 PM
I am so sorry for your and your family's loss. Grandfathers are special. I lost mine about 30 years ago and still think about him all the time. Altzheimer's was hard to deal with. Over time, you kind of forget about that part and remember the other parts, the stuff that really matters. I am certain that the time he got to spend with you showing you things ment as much him then as it does to you now.

You and your family will be in all of our prayers.

Sam Hatfield
09-16-2009, 9:14 PM
Curtis
So sorry about your grandfather. I grew up next to my grandparents and spent the better part of my youth in his woodworking shop at the time I did not know how lucky I was. I am the man I am today thanks to him.

Sam

Jim Becker
09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Condolences, Curtis.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
My sincere condolences Curtis.

Brent Leonard
09-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Cherish the knowledge and everything else your Grandfather passed down to you.

My Grandfather (passed in 95) loved his HAM radios. He got me involved as a teenager. Before he died, he wanted me to get the higher level license so when he died, I could keep his call sign.
I didn't do it. Something I'll regret for the rest of my life.

Rob Cunningham
09-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Curtis,
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. My condolences to you and your family.

Dave Ray
09-18-2009, 8:05 PM
Curtis, sorry to hear of your loss. He lives on in your memory and your heart. This is a good thing.

curtis rosche
09-18-2009, 8:08 PM
thanks for all the kind words. the funeral is on friday and i will get to meet some of the people who knew him. like the guys he flew with in the military. and some of his woodworling friends

Leigh Costello
09-19-2009, 12:12 AM
My condolences, Curtis.

Don Orr
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't get over to this side of the Creek very often so I'm kind of late here. It sounds like your Grandfather was a good man and a lot of it rubbed off on you. You honor him every time you work some wood. Alzheimers is a very tough thing to watch.

I never knew my Dad's father, but spent a fair bit of time with my Mom's father. He was a real neat guy. He was a telegraph operator for the railroad and never drove a car. He could fix most anything. He repaired furniture and clocks and made a lot of his own parts. I clearly remember climbing down the ladder from the kitchen pantry to his dirt floor workshop in the cellar. He didn't have a lot of fancy tools but he did nice work. We built a birdhouse together once. He died when I was 12 and it was real hard on me-still is. Wish I could have had more time with him. I'm not lucky enough to have my own kids, but I try to encourage where I can.

Take care and remember well. Your post brought back some good memories. Thanks and my condolences,

curtis rosche
09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
thanks again for your kind words. the funeral is tommorow, im sure that i will hear tons of great stories that i havent heard before, and will relive many past moments as they are retold.

kenmiller saas
09-25-2009, 3:01 AM
my grandfather passed away yesterday. after a bad battle with alzheimers, in about 5 years he went from perfectly fine, never smoked never drank in his life, to not being able to remember his own name or faces. horrible thing to have to watch it happen to someone.
he was the person who got me into wood working. everytime we would go to our grandparents house we would end up in the basement working on some part or another to an huge marble run. it was never finished or put together, nothing really matched up. but my brother and i sure did learn to use almost all the tools in the basement from it. he is also the first person who put me infront of a lathe and started my own hobby. he will be greatly missed, but atleast he wont be stuck in a home not knowing what is going on around him anymore.

to those of you out there who have grandkids, take that extra time to show them the hobbies that you do, and the things you have learned. they will always remember you for it, and the time you spend with them will be priceless.

I am very sad heard the news, My grandfather also don't have any bad habits, but unfortunately he died six months back, he is just 60. I felt unhappy after his death...

Walt Caza
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Sorry Curtis,
I musta missed this thread...
don't visit off topic too often.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Hang on to the good memories, and be thankful that he hooked you
on such a deep and satisfying hobby.
What a wonderful gift.
take it easy,
Walt

Nancy Laird
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Curtis, I haven't been here much lately, and just now read your post about losing your grandfather. Please accept my sincere condolences, late as they are.

I know exactly how you feel - I lost my grandfather 41 years ago, and it still hurts and I still miss him so much. You never get over the loss of someone so dear to you. I lost my dad in June, and I still well up with tears when I talk about it. That will never go away.

I'm so glad that you have happy memories to keep your image of him alive in your mind and heart. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Nancy

David Drickhamer
09-25-2009, 9:13 PM
Curtis. Sorry to hear the loss of your grandfather. I lost my grandfathers when I was quite young and don't remember them.
I have 5 granddaughters and spend as much time with them as I can teaching them my hobbies and intrests so they have memories that I never had.
You will have your memories forever.
Dave