PDA

View Full Version : Wanna get one

Troy Shaffer
09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I would like to pick up a laser engraver. I have seen a couple at trade shows and can't even remember the brands. I don't want to get a lemon or pay way to much for. I wanna burn wood and etch stone and cut plastic. I would like to be able to add a rotary at some point. And I got about $5000.00 give or take $2000.00 if I can get somethin way better for just a little more $$. I been cuttin vinyl for quite some time. Will flexisign run etchers or do I need corel or something. I know corel will run my plotters. Thanks Troy

Dan Hintz
09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
For that budget you're looking at a decent-sized Chinese machine with decent wattage or a bottom of the line US machine (at the tip top of your pay scale) with low wattage. If you don't mind used, you could probably pick up a decent-sized US machine with mid-range wattage for that kind of dough. If you plan to work with etching stone, the low-wattage models are probably not what you're looking for.

Troy Shaffer
09-18-2009, 1:38 PM
Ok so I think I will make more money just burning wood then anything else. Stone would be nice with all the wedding chappels in vegas, but I can upgrade later.
What would be my best option on like a 18-24inch low wattage for wood burning.
With my plotter it was easy cuz i reconized the roland brand as quaility. most of the laser etchers I have never heard of the brand and don't know what is best. Thanks all.

Garrett Nors
09-18-2009, 1:40 PM
We have a 24x18 45w Helix and it has done us very very well. Sometimes the table size is limiting but on the other hand those jobs were probably more work then they were worth anyway.

Bob Savage
09-18-2009, 2:25 PM
We have a 24x18 45w Helix and it has done us very very well. Sometimes the table size is limiting but on the other hand those jobs were probably more work then they were worth anyway.

That's the machine I'd really like to end up with, but haven't found a good enough deal on a fairly new, used one. I'd prefer a larger work surface, but 24"x18" should suit my wants/needs.

David Arana
09-18-2009, 2:42 PM
Flexi sign works great for vector files.
I use photoshop to draw the raster and then I take the file into flexi and draw the vector files.
Works great for me that way. Just make sure you make your Flexi lines at
.001 in black. No fill of course.

The advantage with Corel is you can do both.

Martin Boekers
09-18-2009, 4:42 PM
Troy,

You need to do a bit more research before you buy. There are only a handful of major brands out there. If you don't recognize any of them you are at the right place!

What I recommend is to check out previous posts on laser recommendations, plus and minuses, quality and service etc. There is ton's of information that will help you in making your decision.

Welcome aboard.

Marty

Bob Savage
09-18-2009, 4:57 PM
Troy,

You need to do a bit more research before you buy. There are only a handful of major brands out there. If you don't recognize any of them you are at the right place!

What I recommend is to check out previous posts on laser recommendations, plus and minuses, quality and service etc. There is ton's of information that will help you in making your decision.

Welcome aboard.

Marty

Isn't this the truth! This forum has allowed me to narrow my search greatly, and make an educated decision about buying once the right used system comes along.

The search function is your friend.