PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Planer - Spiral Cutter

jerry cousins
09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Am looking at a used 3hp 15" Powermatic planer with the spiral cutter head. Wondering if anyone uses one and what they think of the cut? I use lots of exotics and am hoping for a smoother result - less chipping.
Thanks - Jerry

John Harden
09-16-2009, 1:04 PM
To the best of my knowledge, PM sells two of these in the 15" size. Basic planer is the same. Only the cutterheads are different. Basic machine has digital height gauge that is very handy and a mobility kit built into the base that works very well. It's tucked up under the cabinet, unlike the clunky bases you drop the unit down in to.

I owned (but recently sold) the model 15S, which uses high speed steel blades that have a solid leading edge, but are "segmented" at the rear, making them flexible. The kerf in the cutter head spirals around and the blade flexes to bend so it slides down into the kerf. Blades are self setting, so they are a snap to install and change out.

Very slick and has the advantage of being HSS, which takes a keener edge than does carbide. Its also a true heclical cutterhead as the blade enters the wood at an angle and shears the wood.

The second version they sell uses a Byrd cutterhead. Cost is about $400 more new as they have to pay Byrd. Uses individual square knives that have four edges you rotate.

Unlike nearly every other "helical cutterhead" out there on the market, the cutters in the Byrd are set at an angle and produce a true shearing cut. Most of the others that claim to be helical are fudging on their claims. Sure, they install the blades in a helical pattern, but the blade edges are set parallel to the cutterhead (think Byrd patent). They offer no advantage over a standard straight knife, other than they have rotatable blades.

If you have a choice and cash, I'd recommend getting the PM model with the Byrd cutterhead. They work great. My HSS version works very well, but from what I've heard from owners with the Byrd version, the cuts they produce on very difficult woods (birds eye maple, jatoba, etc..) are all but identical.

That's my .02

Regards,

John

Tom Hintz
09-16-2009, 1:16 PM
Powermatic makes at least two planers that can have the spiral heqads, one 15" and one 20". I have the PM15HH (Byrd head) and am totally amazed at how well it cuts. See the link below for my full review with photos and a video. I keep wild-grained pieces of oak and cherry to show people how I can run it through in either direction without chipping!

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm15hhrvu.html

Robert Chapman
09-16-2009, 8:43 PM
I have the PM15HH with the Byrd head and it does a really good job on figured maple. I use a lot of birdseye and curly maple. There is literally no tear out with this planer. But......the cutter head leaves a very light scalloped effect which sands out quite easily but does need to be sanded. Don't be fooled into thinking that it is so smooth out of the planer that no sanding is needed like I was the first time I used it.

Jim Hill
09-16-2009, 8:55 PM
Jerry,

If you do decide to go with the the 15S, I have a new set of knives for it, and a lightly used set still on the head itself. I could make you a deal! I have upgraded to a Byrd head and really like it.

Jim

Jim King
09-16-2009, 9:24 PM
Jerry:

I process over half a million SF of tropical wood a year from crotches to twisted grain. I would never again consider anything but a helical head planer. I have a General 20" and an Oliver 40", both fantastic.

Just be sure to not buy the Chinese replacement chips . They are not there yet in quality. I have no problem going a month in Ipe or Bloodwood or any others without rotating the chips. How many hours a month in down time am I saving by not shutting down every hour or two to sharpen straight blades ?¿?¿

Helical is a no brainer if you do any volume at all.

gary Zimmel
09-16-2009, 9:44 PM
Jerry

I have had my 15" powermatic with the Byrd head for about 8 months.
Anything that I have fired through it has come out without a flaw.

I love mine and would highly recommend it.

Jim Eller
09-17-2009, 8:44 PM
I have the PM 209HH and am really happy with it.

I had the 15HH and returned it.

Jim