PDA

View Full Version : I come to the Creek....

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2004, 4:37 PM
Ok....in light of a post I just made.....I wanted to see about your input.

Keep in mind on your reponse that you are saying:

I come to the Creek:

then state your reasons why you come to SMC. Share knowledge, gather knowledge, gain friendships, or just to be part of a ww group? Only YOU know why YOU come, visit, post and read posts on SMC.

Come on....let's see what ya'll are all about. :p :D

Kent Cori
09-15-2004, 4:59 PM
I come to the Creek ...

To participate in an incredibly rich collection of woodworking knowledge and expertise :) and an equally rich collection of characters. :D

Michael Stafford
09-15-2004, 7:09 PM
I come to the Creek:

To learn new woodworking techniques, to share ideas and to meet people who share my love of wood and this hobby. Being self taught I have been doubly disadvantaged in being not the best student and not having the best teacher either.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-15-2004, 7:19 PM
...............to look, listen, learn and share this crazy addiction we all have a passion for. ;) That, and to hang out with my buddies................like YOU Dennis! :D

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 7:20 PM
I come to the Creek:

To goof off and spew rampant sarcasm...or mearly for the companionship and help to all my questions! :D

Glenn Clabo
09-15-2004, 7:30 PM
For the comfort of being with people who like what you like...who don't judge what you do beyond constructive thoughts...and to be with people who have one thing in common.

Greg Heppeard
09-15-2004, 7:47 PM
All of the above....and for the excellent BBQ?? ;) :D

Bart Leetch
09-15-2004, 7:54 PM
I come the the creek....

Just a minute... getting crackers out of the cracker barrel (figurativly)....kick back in the recliner (literally) keyboard in lap (literally) ice tea on the left end table (literally) AH... munch munch...well now where were we oh ya why I come to the creek?

I like wood working & many time can't always be doing it. I get lots of good ideas from the members of SMC.

Besides that the people here are a class act when it comes to being courteous & helpful. I think I have made several friends here that I hope to meet in person someday.

However Chris this garage wiring & pluming gig is getting a little looong...chuckle elbow in the ribs ;) I've neeeeeever seen anyone draw a job out sooooo loooong :eek: :eek: :eek:... It's a good thing I know your just into the tiredment part of you life & not the retirement part otherwise I'd think you were wasting a lot of time. :D

Mike Cutler
09-15-2004, 8:13 PM
Dennis. I come to the Creek because of members just like you. Members who strive to be more than themselves, to learn and teach, and better themselves, thus enriching their life and mine, and are humble enough to admit that they don't know it all, and ask a question. When you built the Knife project, it was as if I could say to people, "Hey look at what a friend of mine from Arkansas made" when I showed them the post, and the picture. This is also not a unique experience here, it is the norm.
It seems as if some time in the last fifty years, and certainley the last twenty, people abondoned good manners and civility. And stopped helping a "neighbor out". This forum represents to me an exception and deviation to this accepted norm, and it is enlightening and refreshing. Of course folks disagree, this is human nature, but civility can be maintained in such disagreements, and it seems to happen here.
Wheteher we want to admit or not the art, or craft of woodworking is diminishing. It is being removed from the education system because of lack of interest and liability of injury. Forums like this one and others help maintain the knowledge base that already exists, so that people who arrive at a point in their life where they want to, or need to know these subjects can have a ready resource. How do you replace the knowledge of a Bob Smalser or a Dave Anderson when it's gone?or for that matter alot of the members of the board fall into this very same category. Mark Singer's design work is another example. Here are designs where non traditional mixed mediums are applied and the results exist in balance and harmony.
It would be sad to think of time when the knowledge of woodworking existed only in books. This is a craft that is meant to "passed on". I was very fortunate that I was able to recieve an elementry rote introduction to woodworking in a classic woodshop/classroom enviorment early on.( Of course some of those lessons were learned at the business end of a Teak Paddle. Until I was about 15 I thought the only use for teak was to make paddles to apply a "shot of peach juice" to the behinds of some miscreants, like me). I find that some of the detailed explanations, along with pictures that have been posted here, on various aspects of woodworking to be incredible, and while they don't necassarily preclude a hands on lesson they are the next best thing in my opinion.
In short. I come here because this is my escape from the stress of life. A time to sit down and exchange ideas on subjects that interests me, and to learn from a diverse eclectic cross section of people from all over the place.
This is about as articulate as I can be, and when you only type 6 words a minute it takes some time to write this much. And that is the final reason I come here. I seriously doubt if everyone is a touch typist, so I know how much effort is put into peoples posts and for that reason alone, I respect the people and the knowledge they have to impart here
To everyone. Peace be unto you all.

Dick Parr
09-15-2004, 8:34 PM
I come to the Creek to learn. :) I think you can never stop learning and this place has some of the best people to learn from. And I really like pictures. :D

Rob Russell
09-15-2004, 8:39 PM
I enjoy a number of things about SMC. I learn from others. I can hopefully share some of my knowlege and have other people find it to be of value. I reserve the right to occasionally put my foot in my mouth or even be wrong about something, but the general spirit of SMC tolerates that. Some other places don't. I have fun. It even looks like I'll met an SMC'r face-to-face in the near future.

I'd call all of that pretty neat.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-15-2004, 8:52 PM
I come to the Creek to, at least partially, accomplish one of my life's goals--that of life long learning. I feel that I learn much and occasionally contribute to the learning done by others. Wading the Creek also keeps me in contact with many of the nicest people that I have never had the privilege to meet in person. Meeting these people, here at SMC or in person, would meet another of my goals--creating new friendships.

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 9:02 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
I come to the Creek:
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
First to learn
Second to help
Third to learn
Fourth to spend time with friends
Fifth to learn
Sixth to chill out
Seventh to learn
<!-- / message -->

Steve Clardy
09-15-2004, 9:58 PM
Almost all of the above and to have a little fun!!!:)

Steve

Tyler Howell
09-15-2004, 11:05 PM
I back stroke in the Creek: What they Said!
But mostly to torment my California and Wisconsin Buddies;)

Jack Diemer
09-15-2004, 11:06 PM
My list is just like Becker's, except I come more to learn. :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I Came to the Creek because of the Freedom Pen Program.

I stay because of the members and what you all offer!

Bruce

Mark Singer
09-15-2004, 11:25 PM
I back stroke in the Creek: What they Said!
But mostly to torment my California and Wisconsin Buddies;) And that is why I ask my self often..."Self why do you come to the creek for such abuse"

But here I am ....trying to get Tyler to show some pics of that new project!

It is a great place to share and learn and help and listen. If we took all the time each of us spent on the Creek and spent it in our workshops....wow! We could make a couple of spruce geese! and what would you do with them anyway? I might as well come here and let Tyler give me a bad time, help a fellow Creeker with his snow plow ( you didn't know I was a snow plow expert?) Glen even bought me a few beers here! Great guys(Girls too) A lot of dog lovers ! Even some people that know a lot about woodworking. Better than any magazine...you can chose your own topics... and then there is Tyler?(no I haven't been drinking) :eek:

Ian Barley
09-16-2004, 4:24 AM
I come to the Creek.....

To share time with people who share an interest.
To learn a little of what the world looks like from a different perspective.
To refresh my faith in life that most people, most of the time, are basically good in their intentions.

James Carmichael
09-16-2004, 5:56 AM
To add to my tiny store of knowledge, occaisionally share a little of what I know, and to relax and meet new folks from all around.

Nice Avatar, Steve!

Frank Pellow
09-16-2004, 7:24 AM
I came the Creek following a pointer from a specific tool review.

I keep coming back because:

I learn a lot here from my fellow members (including the fact that I should purchase the tool whose review first pointed me here)

I appreciate the courtesy, the helpfulness, the humour (usually), the friendliness, the knowledge, and the encouragement, that I find here

I agree with the guidelines for membership, such as use of full names, no profanity, and no out-and-out "wars" in threads

I like the technical format if the forum (I like it even more after attempting to use a Yahoo forum in the last week)

I like the support for including pictures in posts (if we could only get them in-line with text, I would like it better) and I like the "Sawmill Creek culture" that encourages people to include pictures.

Tony Falotico
09-16-2004, 7:58 AM
In short. I come here because this is my escape from the stress of life. A time to sit down and exchange ideas on subjects that interests me, and to learn from a diverse eclectic cross section of people from all over the place.

Ditto Mike, :) I couldn't express it any better.

Dave Brandt
09-16-2004, 8:04 AM
I come here to see what cool and beautiful things you all have made (and to steal ideas). The information that is freely given increases my knowledge, even when I'm not trying to learn! And there's no (hardly ever) sniping at each other, unless it's in jest. What a great place to chill out!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2004, 8:47 AM
I came to the 'Creek to learn, to ask for and share opinions. I stay because I found a friendly place where people are treated with civility unless, of course, in jest. The diversity of skills, skill levels, interests, postings, projects and personalities make it an interesting place to hang out.

Donnie Raines
09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
I come to the Creek:

Becuase I enjoy the interaction with people with like intrest as I. Just when you think you have something figured out...someone else shows you a better way...or should we say another way.... :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
09-16-2004, 11:39 AM
It's because of SMC that I have more friends now than I have ever had. People have offered to send books (loan them to me), let me borrow videos, called just to check up on me and provide me with contact info just so I can call them when they are on my mind.

Joe Tonich
09-16-2004, 9:54 PM
I come to the Creek:

because there is a LOT of information and knowledgable people on board. When I started WW'ing I had no-one to ask Q's so I was "Forum taught", first at B.P., then here. I've asked some stupid Q's and have received civil answers. :p It's nice to know that others are at the same level of skill as I am and have the same Q's also. Lots of times I can find answers for my Q's in a search because someone else has had the same problem. Heck, I have even been able to give a correct ANSWER once or twice. :cool: I've even met some of the members here and haven't found one I wouldn't invite to supper. In my (or your) travels, I'd like to meet more. Who knows??

Joe - wishing he could get to the CSBBQ, hoping everyone there has FUN!