PDA

View Full Version : DIY Sliding Table?

Scott Hildenbrand
09-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Something just uncured to me as I was fiddling around looking at things. Through all the countless sites and resources I'd looked through over my years online I don't recall seeing anyone build a sliding table..

Anyone know of someone who had and have a link?

Inquiring mind.

Dick Sylvan
09-16-2009, 12:51 AM
My inquiring mind says you are either too cheap or too crazy!! No insult intended, but since I have a very robust sliding table, the idea of a home made one seems totally ludicrous to me.

John Guerra
09-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Wood did one a while back.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/wood127.jpg

Josiah Bartlett
09-16-2009, 1:03 AM
I bet you could fabricate a home shop quality one pretty easily with a good quality set of drawer slides. If you wanted more longevity you could use an old set of Jetlock fence rails and some bronze bushings or commercial linear bearings. Cruise McMaster Carr for some ideas. I've been tempted to make a resaw carriage for my bandsaw by removing the stock table and using an old set of 7 foot jetlock rails. Then I wouldn't have to bother jointing one face and could resaw short raw logs. I would also gain about an inch of capacity to the bottom guide.

Rich Engelhardt
09-16-2009, 7:11 AM
Hello,
Do a search here on SMC for Nissim Avrahami.
He made a sliding table out of laminate flooring.

BTW, enjoy the search.
Nissim is creative to the max.

Curt Harms
09-16-2009, 9:15 AM
I don't know if these slides (http://www.accuride.com/Woodworking/Product/Details.asp?ProductID=63) from Accuride would have tight enough tolerances or not. Flat mount load rating of 150 lbs. Hmmm

edit: Holy Catski! They ain't cheap, especially in longer lengths.

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2009, 9:56 AM
I built a sliding table for a 14" saw about 30 years ago.

I used ball bearing pillow blocks supporting shafts with cast iron pulleys as the wheels, which ran on 1" round cold rolled steel as the guides.

Like all designs of that type, it had a frame that was in the way, all the time.

The easiest way to make a great sliding table from stuff laying around your house, such as a cheque book, is by visiting your Felder or Minimax dealer.

regards, Rod.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I was looking into building one a lot like the older Robland models
By the time I was done pricing out the things I needed just to get started I was already in the hole for a brand new slider.
So I bought a slider instead.
It was all the guide components that really killed the thing. Can't just use bar stock: Gotta use ground guides.

Paul Greathouse
09-16-2009, 10:34 AM
My inquiring mind says you are either too cheap or too crazy!! No insult intended, but since I have a very robust sliding table, the idea of a home made one seems totally ludicrous to me.

Not too concerned about making new friends now are ya Dick, No insult intended.

johnny means
09-16-2009, 10:45 AM

People who think like that are never the ones to come up with the big idea. The naysayers told me I could never sell my work, but I proved them all wrong. People told Steve Gass his idea was stupid. Look at him now, thousands of people myself included have shelled out premium prices to own his silly invention The original poster may be the one who finally invents the affordable, quality sliding table kit. His idea may be the next big idea in woodworking.

And yes, too cheap or too crazy obviously are intended to insult. What else could words like that possibly do? I believe the whole point of this forum is to be a place where creativity, ingenuity, and the can do spirit can come in order to find a community of support and, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

You know the first euro slider was home made. So was the first car, airplane, light bulb, etc, etc, etc. There are plenty of people building race cars from scratch.

I really can't see what would be so hard about building a sliding table if one had a little extra time and some gumption, along with some a good idea.

BTW your "robust slider" doesn't somehow make someone else's idea invalid. In my world, if your slider doesn't have a 10' table and weigh 2500# it's useless. And that's the bare minimum. That doesn't mean that I can't admire the Jessem slider as a great way to solve a problem or see the how cool a little Felder 500 is for someone else. I for one am driven by my creative spirit and love to see any new creative ideas, good or bad.

Jerome Hanby
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Kudos for wanting to build a slider. FWW Book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561581186/ref=ox_ya_oh_product) has one.

Ed Bamba
09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
People who think like that are never the ones to come up with the big idea. The naysayers told me I could never sell my work, but I proved them all wrong. People told Steve Gass his idea was stupid. Look at him now, thousands of people myself included have shelled out premium prices to own his silly invention The original poster may be the one who finally invents the affordable, quality sliding table kit. His idea may be the next big idea in woodworking.

And yes, too cheap or too crazy obviously are intended to insult. What else could words like that possibly do? I believe the whole point of this forum is to be a place where creativity, ingenuity, and the can do spirit can come in order to find a community of support and, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

You know the first euro slider was home made. So was the first car, airplane, light bulb, etc, etc, etc. There are plenty of people building race cars from scratch.

I really can't see what would be so hard about building a sliding table if one had a little extra time and some gumption, along with some a good idea.

BTW your "robust slider" doesn't somehow make someone else's idea invalid. In my world, if your slider doesn't have a 10' table and weigh 2500# it's useless. And that's the bare minimum. That doesn't mean that I can't admire the Jessem slider as a great way to solve a problem or see the how cool a little Felder 500 is for someone else. I for one am driven by my creative spirit and love to see any new creative ideas, good or bad.

Well said Johnny. (Rant on) I'm really getting tired of the negative attitude displayed by some on this forum. Especially the elitist who seem to think that there is no substitute for ultra high end [in their minds at least] machinery (Rant Off) Will I be banned now?

Ed

Kyle Iwamoto
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I take pride in being "cheap". I'm sure that you could buy a slider better and cheaper than a couple drawer slides and a sheet of plywood and days of experimenting time. But that is not the point.

Brand snobs irritate me too.

Chip Lindley
09-16-2009, 2:29 PM
WTG! Kyle! I too, am a *cheapskate* at heart! I was recycling wayy before green! It was only rusty/greasy then! I take great pride in my inventiveness in adapting *junkyard parts* to closely duplicate commercially-made woodworking accessories for only pennies on the dollar!

Unlike *some* contributors to this thread, who presumably have much more money and bravado than imagination and tact, the idea of a shop-made sliding table, for TS or shaper or mortiser/tenoner or x/y router jig is very *doable*!

Thomson makes some really nifty linear pillow block bearings (I dismantled three, 1" dia. at a junk yard for $10!) Had to purchase the 4th for $40 on eBay! Still not Baad! Speaking of robust, 1/2" steel plate sliding on 1" solid steel rods is pretty ROBUST! for a sliding shaper table.

And Yes...I lucked into an Exaktor sliding table which came with my bargain PM66! But no way could (or would) I spend $900+ for a new one!

IMO, those who use their *yankee ingenuity* to provide jigs and fixtures for the home shop get much more credit than those with deep pockets (or over-extended plastic) who have every blingy doodad in the catalog!

Commercial situations are admittedly different. Time is Money! But some persevere on their days off to provide solutions which will hurry up the work next week! After all, there are two kinds of budgets--big and SMALL!

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2009, 3:31 PM
I take pride in being "cheap". I'm sure that you could buy a slider better and cheaper than a couple drawer slides and a sheet of plywood and days of experimenting time. But that is not the point.

Brand snobs irritate me too.

As someone who built one for a 14" saw, I know how much work it took, and how much money it cost.

Yes, it was cheaper than a real slider, however it wasn't as good, and it took up more room than a real slider.

Since I was paid to make it, I didn't mind, however if I had made it for myself, it would have been money wasted, as I would have replaced it after a while with something I was happy with.

Making things is a lot of fun, and I do make a lot of metal items such as mobile bases, storage racks etc.

I made a hydraulic lift table for my motorcycles a decade ago, however now there are off the shelf ones that cost less than the parts and steel I had to buy to make my own.

There are always trade offs in any decision and I don't classify it as being "cheap" or being "snobby", it's more about making a critical decision regarding money/time/performance.

regards, Rod.

Dick Sylvan
09-16-2009, 3:50 PM
Well said Johnny. (Rant on) I'm really getting tired of the negative attitude displayed by some on this forum. Especially the elitist who seem to think that there is no substitute for ultra high end [in their minds at least] machinery (Rant Off) Will I be banned now?

Ed
Let's see, you criticize me for critcizing what I still think is an idea that will produce a disappointing result. I guess it is OK for you to criticize me personally by calling me an elitist, but I can't criticize what I think is a bad idea. I specifically said my comment was not intended as an insult. So, please.... cool it.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-16-2009, 3:53 PM

I'd say cheap, but I lean strongly to crazy.. :)

Really, it may be a fruitless endeavor but if you can not have fun taking the walk then there's no point in standing up.

I enjoy the thinking behind such things and the journey it leads to. Be it good or bad in the end, it's still a learning experience and one which I'll surely grow from no matter what the outcome.

I'm not insulted by criticism, either well meaning or not, so no issue there. ;)

I'd noticed that things seem a little volatile here lately myself while lurking around and reading threads. I wonder, is there something in the water, or perhaps some solar event? Regardless it's not encouraging.

But I digress. Appreciate the thoughts, feedback and links on the matter.. It's a project that's well behind other jigs and fixtures that I need to either build or rebuild. :D

Dave Brandt
09-16-2009, 4:06 PM
Years ago I build a slider for my 10" Grizzly. It was fun to make and it worked pretty darn good! I believe I got the plans from Woodsmith, or possibly ShopNotes.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-16-2009, 5:01 PM
Hello,
Do a search here on SMC for Nissim Avrahami.
He made a sliding table out of laminate flooring.

BTW, enjoy the search.
Nissim is creative to the max.

I bet he did too.

Is this it:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36808&highlight=Sliding

Ed Bamba
09-16-2009, 9:53 PM
Let's see, you criticize me for critcizing what I still think is an idea that will produce a disappointing result. I guess it is OK for you to criticize me personally by calling me an elitist, but I can't criticize what I think is a bad idea. I specifically said my comment was not intended as an insult. So, please.... cool it.

Just so you'll know Dick, if my comment was directed at you, I would've quoted your response. Just like you did with mine. Go back to my response and you will see that I was responding to what Johnny wrote. It looks like others here are actually encouraging the OP. To the OP, sorry about using your thread for my rant.

Cary Falk
09-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd noticed that things seem a little volatile here lately myself while lurking around and reading threads. I wonder, is there something in the water, or perhaps some solar event? Regardless it's not encouraging.

It's not just this site.

If you decide to go for it post the play by play here or in the project forum. I would love to see the process whether it turns out or not. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would offer suggestions if you gent into design/implementation problems.

Marty Paulus
09-17-2009, 8:57 AM
OK folks I seem to remember some of the greatest inventions took more than one try. Let’s see, wasn’t it Thomas Edison once said he now knows several hundred ways not to make a light bulb. Imagine what would have happened if someone told him (Actually someone probably did) he was cheap and crazy for trying to make a light bulb and he would have listened! When making something that has to be complex and/or accurate, most people do not get it right on the first try. It takes several tries. Many of you must not be engineers. Why do you think the term 'PROTOTYPE' is used? That way you can evaluate the idea and make improvements. It is a way to see what works and what doesn't. I know for me if someone tells me it can't be done, I have to prove that to myself first before I give up. I take pride in showing someone that it can be done. In my professional life I deal with more people that look for ways something will not work then the way to make it work. I am making a career out those type of people. It is a rare occasion where I find an idea that just will not work without an unlimited budget for development and high final cost. Usually it takes a fresh set of eyes or a different mind-set. Development and final cost usually end up being very reasonable.

One of the things I like about this board is looking at the pictures posted by some proud person who has just had the great idea light bulb light up and made the idea come to life. Some of the solutions to 'opportunities' are truly impressive. Most are not the first try but rather the result of several improvements even if they are not original ideas. Want an example? How many of you have a work bench that if true to a purchased plan? I am betting not many of you. I read most every day about I how someone bought the plans (or looked at a picture of the bench) and made improvements that better suite their situation.

I also liken this to the person who restores old things (cars, machines, tools, etc.). Sure you can just go and buy a (insert object here) and it will be better out of the box. But the person doesn’t want that. He/she likes the old one and will, in a lot of cases, make it better then new. Yea its crazy but only to the person who isn’t willing to understand why it was done. If nothing else it gives that person a sense of accomplishment. Self-pride. Why take that away from someone? There are a lot of us out there in today’s economy that only have that left. The brand sobs aside we should not be looking for ways things will not work but rather how to make it work or work better.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

george wilson
09-17-2009, 9:52 AM
Carry on,Scott. though I have a very well equipped wood and metal shop,I often go to the trouble to make things I might be better off buying. Right now,it's a wood carving pantograph machine.

I don't understand Dick's remark. Just because he HAS a sliding table,the idea of making one is crazy to him? What's that supposed to mean to the guy who DOESN'T have one? That's a very snotty and elitist attitude,DICK.

Mike OMelia
09-17-2009, 10:04 AM
You could hunt around on ebay for linear bearing kits (the square ones that could actually substitute for drawer slides). I have seen affordable ones on ebay. I little bit of 80/20 aluminum and your off to the races. You may not save a whole lot, but when was that always an impediment? At least you can buy the parts over time.

Don't listen to naysayers. Seek smarter folk than that.:)

Mike

Nissim Avrahami
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Thank you Rich and Cliff

Actually, I've never made a sliding table because I bought it with my TS as a "Package deal" and it can handle boards up to 39½" wide but most of the time I'm using a sled that can handle boards up to 25"...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Glass%20table%20WIP/003.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Glass%20table%20WIP/024.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Glass%20table%20WIP/025.jpg

This guy in Aussie made a sliding table
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=86252

Hope it helps
niki

george wilson
09-17-2009, 10:45 AM
You can cut aluminum just fine on a wood bandsaw. Don't use your new blades,and DO wear goggles. Lots of bouncing, tiny chips.

We used to saw 1/2" brass on our 20" Delta before we got a metal bandsaw at work. Believe it or not,somehow sawing some brass actually seemed to make the blade sharper when we used it next on some wood. Might have built up a "false edge" on the old blades we used on metal. Did sharpen them though.

My point is,you could make many of the parts out of aluminum for your table. Don't be afraid to bandsaw them. Just clean out your saw afterwards,and get the chips off your tires.

Frank Drew
09-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Build it or buy it, an accurate, effective sliding table will make you totally fall in love with your table saw.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Actually, I've never made a sliding table because I bought it with my TS as a "Package deal" and it can handle boards up to 39½" wide but most of the time I'm using a sled that can handle boards up to 25"...

niki

See, now THAT thing is more in line with what I was thinking and knew I'd seen before. In fact it was most likely yours. You might call it a sled, but it's more of a sliding table IMO. Just one that sits on top of another table.. ;)

I've really got to dig through all your old posts.. You've done some pretty ingenious things.

Anyway.. Thanks again to those and their opinions, good or bad.. ;)

Hmmmm... I've got 10 boxes of laminate down stairs.. Those will serve well as jigs and fixtures!

Rob Cunningham
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
There is a type of bushing used on die sets, that is lined with ball bearings. We used to call them ball cages but the proper name escapes me right now. If you use them in conjunction with some ground round stock, you will have a very smooth and accurate motion. I'll dig around a little and see if I can find the right name for them.

Brian Walter
09-17-2009, 1:04 PM
There is a type of bushing used on die sets, that is lined with ball bearings. We used to call them ball cages but the proper name escapes me right now. If you use them in conjunction with some ground round stock, you will have a very smooth and accurate motion. I'll dig around a little and see if I can find the right name for them.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to, but your description sounds a lot like how linear bearings work, you know, the ones used in sliding compound miter saws. By the way, why is it that so many of the sliders feel like they used square bearings? I mean they really aren't very smooth.

Brian Walter

John Harden
09-17-2009, 1:05 PM
I guess whether or not it is doable depends on the design you choose and your skill in implementing it. As far as ready made ones, I saw and used a Jessum and was impressed by it, but I tend to favor their designs as I find them robust and of high quality. You might look one over and borrow some of their design ideas.

Regardless of whether you use someone else's design or come up with your own, my advice would be to try and build in adjustability wherever possible. Sliders, like everything with moving parts and wear points, go out of adjustment. You'll want a way to correct for these. The longer the throw, the more likely you'll experience sag, particularly if your work piece is heavy. You can design to overcome this, but it'll take some effort. One of the key things will be that the edge of the slider closest to the blade maintain the same distance from the adjacent edge of the saw throughout it's entire throw. However much it is off is how much off your cut will be.

I for one, have very little design ability when it comes to something like this. Furniture? Yes, I can do that, but tools and mechanical doohickies? Nope. My wife has a BS in Mechanical Engineering and I usually run to her for help. How funny is that?!?!?!?

I've seen some pretty amazing things built by ingenious folks. Geez, just look back through the older FWW's. Some pretty nice things in there including T square fences, tilting shapers, panel saws, etc.

Good luck!!!

Regards,

John

Rob Cunningham
09-18-2009, 9:23 AM
These are the bushings I was talking about. Very smooth operation and will last a lifetime.
http://www.danly.com/productimages/BBC_full.gif

A linear bearing could also be used with good results. It would probably be a little easier to mount also.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/36991/Thomson_A81420SS_Precision_Linear_Ball_Bushing_Bea ring

Greg Sznajdruk
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
OK folks I seem to remember some of the greatest inventions took more than one try. Let’s see, wasn’t it Thomas Edison once said he now knows several hundred ways not to make a light bulb.

Contrary to American folklore, Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb. An Englishman named Joseph Swan patent the light bulb 10 years before Edison. Edison lost patent infringement lawsuits in England and in the US.

Apparently, Edison’s light bulb was identical to Swans’.

Greg

Jerome Hanby
09-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Contrary to American folklore, Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb. An Englishman named Joseph Swan patent the light bulb 10 years before Edison. Edison lost patent infringement lawsuits in England and in the US.

Apparently, Edison’s light bulb was identical to Swans’.

Greg

Since Edison's patented bulb didn't burn up after approximately 14 hours, it wasn't identical to Swans'. There are more than a couple of other inventors that could be given credit for the light bulb that predate both Swans' and Edison's claims. It's like trying to say that George Washington was not the first President of the United States. You may be able to document that someone held a title called President that was associated with the territories that would become part of the United States, but by any meaningful definition Washington was the first US President. Likewise, by any meaningful definition, Edison invented the light bulb. Just looking at their respective inventions, only one of them could be universally identified as a "light bulb".

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/edisonbulb.jpg?w=103&h=128
Edison's light bulb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/peoplesmuseum/images/day15_1.jpg

Swans' light bulb

Gary Curtis
09-18-2009, 4:41 PM
My General Tablesaw had their bolt-on sliding table with outrigger support. The sliding table and hardware had a shipping weight of 220 lbs. If you think you can build something that sturdy, go ahead.

You will need that kind of heft. I'm a hobbyist. Two years of use on my General convinced me that I don't need a sliding table. If you are faced with crosscutting 200 rails and stiles every week, then there would be an advantage.

Otherwise, a quality Mitre Gauge with a flip stop will do the job. And any sliding table will get in your way when performing other sorts of operations on the saw.

Gary Curtis

Greg Sznajdruk
09-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Since Edison's patented bulb didn't burn up after approximately 14 hours, it wasn't identical to Swans'. There are more than a couple of other inventors that could be given credit for the light bulb that predate both Swans' and Edison's claims. It's like trying to say that George Washington was not the first President of the United States. You may be able to document that someone held a title called President that was associated with the territories that would become part of the United States, but by any meaningful definition Washington was the first US President. Likewise, by any meaningful definition, Edison invented the light bulb. Just looking at their respective inventions, only one of them could be universally identified as a "light bulb".

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/edisonbulb.jpg?w=103&h=128
Edison's light bulb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/peoplesmuseum/images/day15_1.jpg

Swans' light bulb

Your point maybe valid but British and US courts did not agree with Edisons claim.

Greg