PDA

View Full Version : I finally should post some pictures

Bob Winkler
09-15-2004, 3:53 PM
After lurking for years (on the Pond back then), and finally becoming an official member a couple of months ago, I guess it's time to post a few obligatory pics. I know how many of you love pictures.

The cherry TV Stand and bookcase were modeled after the beautiful work in the T. Moser catalog, although I'm sure the quality of the construction is not even close. I'm a real cherry fan, but the price of it in CT is just terrible!

The closet renovation shows my love of home improvement, and a chance to try torsion panels using cherry plywood. Shelves and drawer fronts are solid cherry, drawer cases are baltic birch. The picture only shows my half of the closet- my SWMBO is almost the same configuration, just much messier :)

The playing card boxes were a big hit a xmas several years ago as gifts. This pic shows them as mahogany with maple sides, but I made them several other woods as well. My favorite part of them is the rare earth magnet keeping the lid closed. (I love a good gadget).

I have a lot more projects and pics, but I won't bore everyone to death at once. I'll save some for another time.

Bob

Bob Winkler
09-15-2004, 3:57 PM
I already messed up- forgot the closet pictures. Sorry about that, here it is.

:confused:
Bob

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 3:58 PM
Beautiful work, Bob. Thos Moser figures as my major inspiration (along side George Nakashima for certain things) when it comes to furniture...ever since I saw his stuff for the first time in the libary of Muhlenburg College near Allentown PA many years ago. I've been a fan ever since. When they had a store in Philadelphia, I happened to have an office across Broad Street and sometimes wandered over to "fondle" the furniture. One of these days I need to get up to Maine and visit the "mother ship"... :D And welcome to SMC "officially" now that the picture requirement has been met, hee hee.

Greg Heppeard
09-15-2004, 4:00 PM
Welcome to the creek!! Looks great!! More pics please. :D

Bob Winkler
09-15-2004, 4:01 PM
Hi Jim,

How ironic- I grew up a few blocks away for Muhlenberg in Allentown. Used to go to their library to study (I was sort of a geek).

I miss PA a lot and get back often. I still don't feellike a New Englander.

I been often to the Moser Freeport gallery- that's why they keep sending me catalogs:)

Bob

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 4:06 PM
Bob, my previous spouse is a graduate of M and active in the alumni organization. It was during an alumni weekend event a number of years ago that I "discovered" Moser and have been "in love" ever since. I was pleased that they participated in the Philadelphia Furniture and Furnishings show this year as it gave an opportunity to see, touch and sit in some of the new designs. I'm soon to build an armoire for our guest room based on one of his pieces...there is no closet in that room as it's in the 250 year old portion of our home. I have a Moser catalog collection, too...I don't throw them out as they are great references in addition to his books.

Dick Parr
09-15-2004, 4:11 PM
Very nice work Bob and Welcome to the Creek!

Rich Konopka
09-15-2004, 4:16 PM
Hi Bob - I'm glad you crossed over from the Dark Side and are an official creeker. Where do you get your Cherry?

Jason Tuinstra
09-15-2004, 5:10 PM
Bob, like Jim, Moser has always been a major inspiration to me. I manage to stay on the mailing list via the Chicago gallary they have. A great place to go and see some nice furniture. Speaking of which, you've produced some nice stuff yourself. Great job! I look forward to more Moser inspired pieces in the future!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2004, 5:46 PM
Welcome to the "Creek Bob! Nice work! Pictures of nice work will never bore us! Again....nice work.....and Welcome! (Tyler....Chris......don't need the Pic Patrol for this guy!) :p

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 6:40 PM
Bob, nice stuff but does that shelving unit in the first pic taper out from the bottom?? Or, is it an artifact of the camera angle? Pretty wild!

Bob Winkler
09-15-2004, 7:03 PM
Last time I looked the sides were square to the bottom. I'm hoping it's the camera- I couldn't do that flair on purpose if I tried.

Rich, I usually get my cherry from The CT Wood Group, Hardwood Outlet in Enfield. They usually have decent quantities and quality on hand. I occasionally go to Harris Hardwoods which is about 5 minutes from my house. I find them usually more pricey.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Bob

Lou Morrissette
09-15-2004, 8:07 PM
Nice work Bob. Am realy interested in what you did with the closet. Looking to do something similar with a few of mine. Your own design or from plans?

Btw, both my kids were born in Vernon. Nice town.

Jerry Olexa
09-15-2004, 8:12 PM
Welcome AND beautiful work!!

Bob Winkler
09-15-2004, 9:32 PM
Nice work Bob. Am realy interested in what you did with the closet. Looking to do something similar with a few of mine. Your own design or from plans?

Btw, both my kids were born in Vernon. Nice town.
Thanks for the nice comments Lou. Small world isn't it.

The idea came from a mag article on the cover of Workbench April 2003. This issue has a lot of good info on torsion panel construction to build light and strong. In my closet, the main tower section is 1x doug fir sandwiched between 1/4" cherry plywood. Makes a strong, but light, panel.

The layout was modified to fit my closet and my wife. Solid cherry for edging, shelves, and drawer fronts. I used heavy slides for all the drawers instead of following the mag article.

Good luck. I've attached another view if you're interested.
Bob

James Giordano
09-16-2004, 5:23 AM
Hi Bob. I don't know who this Moser is but I like your work.

Whaaassuuuup
Are you any relation to the Fonz:p

Nathan Hoffman
09-16-2004, 7:19 AM
Looks like some nice projects, and its good to hear from another CT Creeker. I, too, get most of my hardwood from CT Wood Group and have found them to be good to deal with, though it still seems like wood should be less expensive than that! I have a contact in upstate New York we occasionally several of my friends and I will go get a whole load of cherry to save some money. Welcome aboard!

Bob Winkler
09-16-2004, 7:29 AM
Looks like some nice projects, and its good to hear from another CT Creeker. I, too, get most of my hardwood from CT Wood Group and have found them to be good to deal with, though it still seems like wood should be less expensive than that! I have a contact in upstate New York we occasionally several of my friends and I will go get a whole load of cherry to save some money. Welcome aboard!
Good to hear from you Nathan. Nice to know that others from CT are reading the posts- although now I know I have competition on those great Lowe's clearance items at Buckland.:)

A couple of guys from work also have talked about a group purchase from PA or NY, but we have never got our act together. Plus, I don't have a great storage area for lots of expensive hardwoods. One of the problems with a basement workshop! But still, if you come across any great cherry deals, let me know:D .

And let me state for the record- no relation to the Fonz.

Jim Becker
09-16-2004, 7:40 AM
Hi Bob. I don't know who this Moser is but I like your work.
http://www.thosmoser.com

Feast thy eyes...<G> A number of well known folks worked with Tom in the past, including Christian Becksvoort. His books are excellent...this shop drawings book is my favorite, although the latest "coffee table" book is a very nice read.

Lou Morrissette
09-16-2004, 9:08 AM
Thanks for the pic Bob. I know I have that issue burried somewhere. I remember reading it. This could solve my storage problem. Thanks again.
Lou

Mark Singer
09-16-2004, 9:23 AM
Bob,

Excellent work!!! Love to see more of it!

Kent Cori
09-16-2004, 9:27 AM
Great work Bob and welcome! I really like the closet built-ins and the TV stand. I'll have to check into that torsion panel method. It sure looks good when finished.

Dave Brandt
09-16-2004, 2:13 PM
Beautiful work Bob! I'd like a little more info on the card boxes. Did you use a plan? How are they hinged? Any special techniques used? Etc., etc., etc.

Jon Olson
09-16-2004, 2:26 PM
Bob, Welcome. I was going to ask the same question as Dave above, are those card boxes your own design or from a plan. I like the simple functional design. The closets are beautiful.

Jon

Tyler Howell
09-16-2004, 2:35 PM
Attention Lurkers,:mad:
Now this is how it's done. Bob didn't just wade in to the Creek, This is a Swan dive. Welcome and thanks for raising the bar just a little higher:cool:

Bob Winkler
09-16-2004, 2:45 PM
Beautiful work Bob! I'd like a little more info on the card boxes. Did you use a plan? How are they hinged? Any special techniques used? Etc., etc., etc.
Thanks for the nice comments.

I seem to recall that the card boxes derived from a WOOD article, but am not sure. I'll try to check tonight if I have a chance. The article showcased use of veneers, but I used solid wood instead.

The hinge is a simple brass pin. The only special thing for me was to use some hand tools because of the small parts. I bought a small, manual miter saw for the cuts. The corners are only glued and mitered and I was worried about strength, but after several years in service, all 4 boxes I made are as good as new.

Bob

Bob Winkler
09-17-2004, 9:17 AM
For those who were interested in more details on the card boxes, I searched for an hour through back issues, but couldn't find it. Then I got smart and let my computer do the searching, and on the Woodsmith site, I found out it was Woodsmith No. 132, now available in the Annual Volume No. 22 only.

Now I remember- I borrowed a coworkers back issues of Woodsmith a long time ago and must have seen the article then. Sorry, I no longer have the issue, but will try to have my coworker find it.

Good luck, and hope this helps.