PDA

View Full Version : disston saw ???

David Christopher
09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I was cleaning out the shop today and found a handsaw that I have had for about 20 years and never used...I was starting to throw it away when I looked at the medalion and it had disston on it but it has a plastic handle.
the question is, are these saws worth keeping, maybe making a new handle or just throw it away

Phillip Pattee
09-15-2009, 10:34 PM
If the handle is two-toned, its probably a bakelite handle. Disston used these on the model no. 95. The blade is one that Disston sold as a high end saw. Check it out at the Disstonian Institute site. It might be a great user.

David Christopher
09-15-2009, 11:40 PM
here are some pics

william scott
09-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Are these newer Disston saws still good quality? I saw one in a junk shop last week that was about like that for three or four dollars. I thought only the old ones with the flowers on the handles were the good ones so I passed on it. Maybe I should go back and buy it?!

Frank Strazza
09-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Hello Dave,

If all else fails you can cut it up and make scrapers or scratch stock. I just got through doing that a little while ago to make a cutter for some reeded legs I am making.

Jim Koepke
09-16-2009, 2:09 AM
They are also good to try sharpening if you do not want to do it to a good saw.

jim

lowell holmes
09-16-2009, 2:21 PM
You could make a wooden handle for it. It's worth a try.

I have an old disston I take with me to the lumber yard so I can cut long boards off to fit inside the camper top on my truck.

Frank Drew
09-16-2009, 5:57 PM
In any case, instead of throwing it away, think about bringing it to a thrift store like a Salvation Army outlet; someone might get some use out of it.

Phillip Pattee
09-16-2009, 6:35 PM
That looks like a D 100 type of handle, except those were aluminum and wood. I doubt that this is a typical high quality Disston saw.

lowell holmes
09-17-2009, 8:21 AM
Hello Frank,

What are you making now?
Is it for thr Kerville competition?

Please post pictures of your Federal piece shown at last year's show.

Greg Crawford
09-19-2009, 8:17 PM
Dave,

I recently picked up a bundle of saws at a local antique store and got one of those. It says Disston Model CH-II. It doesn't appear to be anything spectacular, but the teeth aren't "flash hardened" like the modern Borg saws, so it can be sharpened.

Like some of the other posts have suggested, there are many things you can do with it.