PDA

View Full Version : Got my [Ridgid tablesaw] R4511

Scott Hildenbrand
09-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Well I'm a happy camper.. Though I was going to get a Grizzly G0661 a bit of a money crunch knocked that out.. So I opted for what seemed like the next best thing and got the R4511. Kept hoping that I'd have a gloat of some kind, but naaa.. Just the standard sale..

FIL went and picked it up for me at the store since I'd already paid for it and had it sitting in wait then delivered it earlier today on the back of his trailer.

Took it off by backing it up to the patio slab and tying off the feet, then pulling the truck forward a bit until the bed tilted from the weight shift.

2x4 lever and some yanking later and it was down on the slab. Then we tilted the sides so I could slip a pair of furniture dollies under it and move it under the overhang.

So it's here, out of the weather and waiting to be hauled down stairs. Opened it up to check the main top and it's fine and dandy with no clips.

Must say, I'm looking forward to the (long) setup to get this thing up and running. Also picked up a Wixey saw fence readout and angle gauge on eBay for $104 shipped, so will be setting that up too.

Now to go back over all the conversations about the saw and make sure to follow the plethora of advice and tips that have been shared so it goes together easily.

Casey Mabry
09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Congrats on the new saw, I got mine in may and so far I really like it with no problems. I highly suggest the forum on the rigid site, their was all kind of tips on putting it together that helped me, because the instructions are very vague to say the least.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
That they're vague is an understatement in some places.. ;)

I'd been hanging out over there as well sucking up information via osmosis (head to screen) as much as possible. Alot of good tips and such.

Richard McComas
09-16-2009, 6:19 AM
Congratulations on you R4511.....what ever that is.

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2009, 8:09 AM

It's that newfangled combination machine that takes a log in one end and spits a raised panel door out the other end.

The one from Altendorf does the same thing and applies the finish and installs the door, however it's slightly more money.......:D

regards, Rod.

P.S. I wish people would use simple titles such as "My new XXXXX Band saw arrived today".

scott spencer
09-16-2009, 9:31 AM
Congrats on your new saw Scott.

Re: a gloat.... HD is currently offering rebates on power tools (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=PM_TH_Ultimate_Power_Deal&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=d25-_-powertools-_-hero1-_-upd&locStoreNum=1244&marketID=93). $75 off orders of $400 or more, $125 off orders of $600 or more, etc... worth checking into. Put that rebate money towards a good blade!

glenn bradley
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Congrats.

BTW, I Googled "r4511" and the first 12 hits told me this was a Ridgid tablesaw.

Jason White
09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Double-check and make sure yours is not one of the recalled units....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118631

Well I'm a happy camper.. Though I was going to get a Grizzly G0661 a bit of a money crunch knocked that out.. So I opted for what seemed like the next best thing and got the R4511. Kept hoping that I'd have a gloat of some kind, but naaa.. Just the standard sale..

FIL went and picked it up for me at the store since I'd already paid for it and had it sitting in wait then delivered it earlier today on the back of his trailer.

Took it off by backing it up to the patio slab and tying off the feet, then pulling the truck forward a bit until the bed tilted from the weight shift.

2x4 lever and some yanking later and it was down on the slab. Then we tilted the sides so I could slip a pair of furniture dollies under it and move it under the overhang.

So it's here, out of the weather and waiting to be hauled down stairs. Opened it up to check the main top and it's fine and dandy with no clips.

Must say, I'm looking forward to the (long) setup to get this thing up and running. Also picked up a Wixey saw fence readout and angle gauge on eBay for $104 shipped, so will be setting that up too.

Now to go back over all the conversations about the saw and make sure to follow the plethora of advice and tips that have been shared so it goes together easily.

Mike Svoma
09-16-2009, 1:48 PM
Scott, I have one of these saws and I love it. Great saw for the money. Assembly isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just take your time, use both of the manuals that came with the saw for assembly along with the parts list, and have some to help with the heavy lifting. Oh yea, post a few pictures when you get it set up.

Mike

Bruce Page
09-16-2009, 3:35 PM

...Ditto...

Scott Hildenbrand
09-16-2009, 4:18 PM
Sorry about the title.. I thought for sure I said what it was within the first sentence.. :rolleyes:

It's the newer one and not on the recall list.. I'll triple check.. I'd be surprised if HD sold one out if it was recalled when the notice is well posted.. Then again, can never be too careful.

I also got it on the mega power tool sale that's going on, so I did save some bucks for sure.. Also picked up a $14 drillbit set to push me over.. Budget locked me in there else I'd have gone all out and picked up some other large tool.

scott spencer
09-16-2009, 7:05 PM
...I also got it on the mega power tool sale that's going on, so I did save some bucks for sure.. Also picked up a $14 drillbit set to push me over.. Budget locked me in there else I'd have gone all out and picked up some other large tool.

Then it's gloatable! Woohoo! You got a granite topped hybrid saw with a riving knife, cabinet mounted trunnions, Herculift, large handwheels, steel t-square fence, and a lifetime service agreement for $450! Gloat away! :D

Scott Hildenbrand
09-19-2009, 7:07 PM
LOL.. Yeah.. It is a good deal.. But nothing like these deals were people go to pick up a table saw for $50 and walk away with a whole shop for $100.. That's nutty...

Managed to get it down stairs today and must say, it's NEVER leaving the basement. I'll have to take a picture of what we had to deal with in order to get it down the stairs.

Was way easier getting the washer, drier and freezer down stairs. Eesh.

At any rate, will start putting it together later this evening most likely. Sadly, since I don't have a dust collector yet I'll be leaving the shroud off, which means down the road I'll have to break the saw down and put it back together again to install it.. Unless I can jam it in some how without laying the saw down and removing the herc-u-lift.

Chris Harry
09-19-2009, 8:00 PM
Was way easier getting the washer, drier and freezer down stairs. Eesh.

I moved a high efficiency front load washer down the same steps I moved my R4511 down.

R4511 wins, hands down! That washer was a BEAR...person helping me said I looked like I was gonna have a heart attack while moving it.

I move the 4511 down by myself, after removing the main table top while the saw was in my garage.

Steve Southwood
09-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Scott go ahead and put the shroud on now. I used a big shop vac on mine until I got a small DC. I used a 2-4 reducer and a piece of pvc to make the connection. Worked OK. Just open the side up every now and then to get a good cleaning job.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I was reading somewhere that someone used a shop vac and ended up filling the cabinet with sawdust.. Granted, I'm sure they'll be doing more work than I will at any given time.

I guess I'll give it a shot.. If I need to clean it out now and then it won't be a big deal. Normally vacuum the shop after I'm done with a round of cutting anyway.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-20-2009, 6:12 PM
Well it's going together awfully slow. I didn't have any trouble with the herc-u-lift like others have.. My only trouble has been that I've been lied to all of my life and that screws are bolts and bolts are screws.

Also, the dust shroud is BEST put on BEFORE the herc-u-lift, which I think I read somewhere and forgot. Once the base is together, it dun fit. I had to take a few bolts out and pry the legs apart to get it to slip in..

For some reason it feel like the saw is taller than it was when I looked it over at the store. It's just a smidge taller than my kitchen coutertop.. I'm sure I'll get used to working at that height.. Just way more than my old saw, that's for sure.

All in all, still happy with it and with luck will have it together tonight and ready to tune.

Gene Howe
09-20-2009, 7:35 PM
it's that newfangled combination machine that takes a log in one end and spits a raised panel door out the other end.

The one from altendorf does the same thing and applies the finish and installs the door, however it's slightly more money.......:d

regards, rod

Now, that there is funny!

Scott Hildenbrand
09-20-2009, 7:59 PM
For that much more money bit better pour me some coffee while I watch it work, too.. ;)

Scott Hildenbrand
09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, was putting on the Wixey digital fence to it tonight, which was going rather well. Only thing I need to do is tap the two outer holes that hold the Wixey rain in place.

On a whim though I decided to check the table.. Dag blasted thing, the right wing slipped out of alignment and dips down at the end now.

Wouldn't be too big of an issue to correct if the entire fence and wixey rail was not in place already.

I'm hoping I can cut down an allen key so that it can fit between the fence and the table so that I can loosen the front and then adjust the table level again.