PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Compact Generators

Matt Meiser
09-15-2009, 5:34 PM
I'm thinking about getting a very small generator for camping--just enough to run the coffee pot (750W) in the morning and recharge our battery. Of course everyone says Honda, Honda, Honda (OK, or Yamaha) and I can get a nice 1000W inverter-type for about $700 or maybe $400 if I can find one used--actually just passed on a Honda for $425 but 2 hours away today. The inverter unit would be nice to back up a couple computers for power failures since I work from home. But that's pretty rare.

Or I can get a 2 cycle Chinese 1000W unit new with a 1 year warranty for about $120. I'm thinking I can throw away a few Chinese generators before breaking even. We'll probably use it a few times a year for a couple hours each time. Actually Harbor Freight has them for $130, or just over $100 with the 20% coupons. And they sell extended warranties with over the counter exchange for 2 years for $35.

Anyone have one?

Gene Howe
09-15-2009, 7:35 PM
Matt,
I have to join the Honda crowd. I've had several others and my 1000 and 3000 are the quietest, (very important to us as we do a lot of camping where there are other campers) easiest starting and most trouble free of all I've owned.

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2009, 10:15 PM
For power failures I have a 5000 watt Generac that I'm happy with except for the noise, it's really loud as are all but the Honda in the small ones. From what I have heard the Chinese ones may hold up under light use but are even louder and may make your neighbors in camp very unhappy. For installations I often use a 250 watt inverter that clips onto the truck battery. I can't use a circular saw on it but can use a hammer drill or sawzall. You can get one for under $100 (Coleman) at an auto parts, but I bet you could get it for half that at H.F. They are SILENT!

Matt Meiser
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
We've got a 5500W Generac as well. But I don't like to run computers on it because I don't think the power is very clean. And it weighs a ton so its not possible to take camping, and is overkill for what we need.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda.....one of the main objects of camping is to get away from the noise.

James Jaragosky
09-16-2009, 2:57 AM
Honda.....one of the main objects of camping is to get away from the noise.

That made me chuckle.

Build a fire and get a old style coffee pot. It's quiet and you can cook your breakfast on it as well.

For me the main objective is to get away from technology and all that comes with it. Next thing you know he will be trying to get a signal for his crackberry or laptop.:eek:

Honda, bite the bullet; your fellow campers will be much happier.

Harlan Coverdale
09-16-2009, 3:05 AM
Has anyone mentioned Honda yet? :D

It's like most other tools. Buy quality and you only cry once, yadda yadda. ;)

Dave Johnson29
09-16-2009, 6:13 AM
I'm thinking about getting a very small generator for camping

Or I can get a 2 cycle Chinese 1000W unit new with a 1 year warranty for about $120.

Hi matt,

Not sure about the Chinese generator but I installed one of these pumps on a friend's property out here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66585

She runs it 2 to 3 hours every day for water to the dogs in her rescue. It is not all that loud, and it has been working fine for almost 3 years. Mostly the pump is stalled as she wanders around with a loooong garden hose and valve on the end. Rustic I know, but this IS the boonies. :D

I mention this only as a possible guide to the Chinese engines in the Honda ruckus here. :) Don't get me wrong I love Honda and have two motorcycles, but this little pump engine just keeps on keeping on.

I got her some cheap engine-start spray from Wally's and it starts first pull every time. I have replaced the foam air filter a few times and I think 2 new plugs over the time.

Rich Engelhardt
09-16-2009, 7:37 AM
Hello,
One of my main customers is one of the largest electrical contractors in Ohio.
They've gone to only using Honda generators.
They used to have "others", but, the crews were always fighting over who got the Hondas, so they dumped everything else.

David G Baker
09-16-2009, 8:32 AM
Matt,
Remember the small white gas/propane Coleman stoves? They are great if you just want to cook or boil water and they last for years if taken care of. Won't help you in the battery charging area. Guess the brand of generator I have for back up power for my home, "Honda" of course. While in the house you can not hear it running. When there is a power failure in the neighborhood it sounds like an overnight truck stop for refrigerator trucks when the neighbors fire up their noisy generators.
When I worked out of a live TV microwave truck we used heavy duty diesel powered Genrac generators built in the truck that ran off of the truck's fuel. When we needed a small second generator to power our portable microwave transmitters we would use a very small "Honda" generator that was quiet and fit in the storage area between the front seats of the Dodge Ramcharger.

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2009, 8:32 AM
I'm thinking about getting a very small generator for camping--just enough to run the coffee pot (750W) in the morning and recharge our battery. Of course everyone says Honda, Honda, Honda (OK, or Yamaha) and I can get a nice 1000W inverter-type for about $700 or maybe $400 if I can find one used--actually just passed on a Honda for $425 but 2 hours away today. The inverter unit would be nice to back up a couple computers for power failures since I work from home. But that's pretty rare.

Or I can get a 2 cycle Chinese 1000W unit new with a 1 year warranty for about $120. I'm thinking I can throw away a few Chinese generators before breaking even. We'll probably use it a few times a year for a couple hours each time. Actually Harbor Freight has them for $130, or just over $100 with the 20% coupons. And they sell extended warranties with over the counter exchange for 2 years for $35.

Anyone have one?

Matt, I'm sure you know that you can get a small coffee pot to go on top of camp stove, they're really quiet:D.

As to throwing away a few Chinese generators, I'm going to give you a hard time about environmental irresponsibility.

Regards, Rod.

Jim King
09-16-2009, 9:38 PM
Here if we want to get real fancey we take a charged car battery to the jungle for light , radio and communications. Firewood still smells good for cooking or drinking beer beside the campfire at night.

Brent Leonard
09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I think for what you want, I would try the HF generator. Its not like it will be getting 1000 hours per year on it...

and the noise?

They make silencing mufflers for ATV's. The one I saw limited the sound to a clicking noise. One word, "amazing!". They are aftermarket and universal/clamp on.
What would such a device do to the engine on a small generator? It would change the backpressure. Would that hurt the engine? I don't know.

I found that you can move a generator away from the camp site, stack wood aaround the unit on the side of your campsite, run a 100' extension cord and it does a decent job of cutting your noise.

Matt Meiser
09-16-2009, 10:23 PM
The more I think about it, I don't really want to deal with a 2-cycle due to the need to mix oil.

I've also been tempted by a "Honeywell" inverter unit Costco sells online. The nice thing there is that they'd take it back no questions asked.

I really want a Honda or maybe even better the 2400W Yamaha which would run our AC if we wanted (Honda's 2000 is iffy--works for some people, not others.) Just not sure its the fiscally responsible thing to do. On the other hand they appear to be really easy to resell.

Karl Brogger
09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
No experience with the Yamaha generators, but I've used the little suitcase Honda one plenty for ice fishing. They are very quiet, use little fuel, and always start.

Everyone is telling you to go with the Honda, notice a trend?:D

Matt Meiser
09-22-2009, 8:27 PM
Well, I got a Honda. I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist and got a hit yesterday. Its not an inverter, but a model (EX650) that preceded the current inverter line so it will meet our needs nicely. Including running my little coffee pot ;)

Best part--paid $225 which is at least $125 less than the going rate. And it looks and runs like new. Even if we decide we want a bigger one in a year, we'll at least get our money back out of it.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2009, 8:39 PM
And best of all Matt.....You got all of us Honda-lovers off your back! :rolleyes:
Sounds like you got a good deal. Congrats!

Dave Johnson29
09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Everyone is telling you to go with the Honda, notice a trend?:D

Yup, too much disposable income. :D:D