PDA

View Full Version : saw handle(and some gloating)

Aaron Kline
09-15-2004, 3:35 PM
I was at the antique market doing some snooping and picked up a Disston #70 for $15, but the handle ain't too good looking anymore. Where could I get a replacement? I also got a Stanley #48 for $25, it was of course missing the cutters, but St. James Bay fixed that:D .

Steve Beadle
09-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Aaron, I seem to remember a thread or two in which there were pictures of replacement handles made by Creekers. You can use the existing handle as a kind of template, and make your own. You might do a search and see what you can come up with.

Tony Zaffuto
09-16-2004, 7:03 AM
Aaron,

Make your own! Use the existing handle as a pattern and shape to fit your saw hand. Aint hard to do, don't take much time, and is one of the more fun tool "maintenance" jobs.

Tony Z.

Vince Sandy
09-16-2004, 8:54 AM
Aaron,

I started a thread that shows a handle that I made for a Disston no. 12. In that thread you'll see at least one other example of a "creeker-made" handle. I'll try to insert the link (I've never tried this so I don't know if it will work).

See this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11464) If my attempt at inserting the link doesn't work, look in this forum for the thread

"Disston No. 12 with new handle (pics)"

I don't know of any place to buy the type of handle that you'll want for that saw. By making your own you can ensure that it will feel great and look appropriate.

Try making one. I think you will be pleased.

Vince