PDA

View Full Version : Books, Basic Projects, Learning Material

Bob Haskett
09-15-2009, 4:01 PM
As you can see, I am new here. I just built a workbench last week, it was the first thing I have ever built. There are many things I could have/should have done differently/better, but it was fun, and a great learning experience. Since building the bench, I have realized that I may have potential to take on some harder projects if I could just take the time to learn some technique. My question is, what are some good books to teach me some of the basics? I am about as new to woodworking as they come, I do not know any basic termonology, could not tell you what a jointer is, and until today had no idea what a router was. Also, what are some basic tools I would need to get started? I have a drill and a circular saw, but nothing else. I realize there are all sorts of "nice to have" tools, but what could I get by with to do some basic projects to get some experience?

Here are some of the things I would like to build to get some practice:

Cutting boards (My wife, my sisters, and my mother LOVE to cook)
Jewelry Boxes (Same reason as above, the women in my life love jewelry!)
Shelves for the storage area
A baby changing table
I would like to go from there and kind of see how I like woodworking, and how good I was at the tasks. I am a perfectionist, so this may not be the best hobby for me. I get compliments on the bench daily by friends and family, but I almost hate looking at it due to some flaws/imperfections I notice, and when I compare it to benches I see here...Anyways, basically looking for some literature, needed tools, and listing out some basic things I want to start builiding to give you an idea.

Thanks!

John Gregory
09-15-2009, 4:16 PM
My wife and I made 8 of these for Christmas gifts two years ago. Everyone loved them

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-7-a-cut-above-part-1/

Jerome Hanby
09-15-2009, 4:16 PM
I'm sure this will get a ton of "boos" and "hisses", but the NYWS books are pretty good. I get more out of seeing a technique in the context of building something than just presented by itself. I got hardbacks of the NYWS and Classics from the NYWS from Amazon pretty cheap (less than $10 a piece) and paper packs for Mostly Shaker and Outdoor Projects (not the correct title, but close enough) that were in good shape. Think the only one I'm missing is the one on building stuff for Kids (I have checked it out of the local library).

Speaking of the library, that's where I suggest you go. Check out everything you can get your hands on, request stuff from other branches (or find the branch that has all the good stuff, in my area it's the downtown branch). Anything that you find that's a keeper, login into Amazon, find the book, and add it to your wish list. As your budget permits, find the best ones at the best prices and start filling your bookshelves. Many of the best books I've found at the library, I've purchased from Amazon associates with the cost of the book being less than the fixed $3.99 shipping. With a little patience, you can find good condition hardbacks for less than $10 including shipping. I've purchased at least one NYWS title for 37 cents (plus the $3.99 shipping)!

Chris Tsutsui
09-15-2009, 4:22 PM
The basic tools I started out with was:

Circular saw and straight edge. (Or start out with a track saw if you can afford it like the Festool TS55)
Jig Saw such as a Bosch model
Drill/driver

My other favorite beginner tool is a random orbit sander such as a porter cable. A beginner like me will sand mistakes out. :) I like using 80 grit and 220 grit.

You can make a hardwood knife block if you have a sliding compound miter saw. To me this type of saw is very user friendly.

Maple butcher blocks are fairly easy and you can even use pre-milled lumber and just glue boards together with clamps and trim it to size. Then sand it smooth on the top. If you want to get fancy, then make it an end grain butcher block with rounded edges or a drip trench... mine don't get too fancy because they get beat up anyways.

I made a baby changing table out of baltic birch plywood though to make the edges not sharp I used a router and made the edges "rounded over". The table right now is being used for storage and the baby gets changed on the bed... oh well.

For information I suggest you first watch free instructional woodworking videos at diy.com. Videos just do a better job at teaching me than books. There are also other great videos on youtube, and other video hosting websites.

Good luck and i'm sure many people here would want to see a picture of your bench which you can upload by clicking on "Manage Attachments".

Bob Haskett
09-15-2009, 4:41 PM
Good luck and i'm sure many people here would want to see a picture of your bench which you can upload by clicking on "Manage Attachments".

Thanks for all the info.

Here is the bench I made.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120323

Matt Stiegler
09-15-2009, 4:51 PM
Welcome, Bob. There are more books and articles and websites out there than you could read in a lifetime. And more tools that you just need to buy than you could afford in 10. Part of the fun, but its a little overwhelming too.

My best suggestion for you is this: the single best resource I've found actually is this website. Almost every question you have has been asked, and expertly answered, already. Absolutely indispensable for beginners. So get used to using the search function (the google search option works better than the "search forums" option, IMO).

As far as books for beginners (which tend to address your 'what tools do I need' question), I've seen at least a half dozen good ones and I'm sure there are many more out there. The one I happened to find most useful was Small Woodworking Shops (http://www.amazon.com/Small-Woodworking-Shops-Best-Fine/dp/1561586862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253047807&sr=8-1), by the editors of Fine Woodworking.

Chris Tsutsui
09-15-2009, 5:09 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Here is the bench I made.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120323

Cool, thanks that bench looks great. You shouldn't scrutinze craftsmanship on something like that because it's going to get beat up and as long as it serves its function then there's nothing wrong with it.

What an exciting position to be in and have ample space for new tools. You'll fill up that pegboard in no time. :D

Bob Haskett
09-15-2009, 7:30 PM
Any other good book ideas?

So after drill or impact driver and circular saw what would be the next tool you purchased?

Matt Stiegler
09-15-2009, 7:52 PM
I agree with Chris, next tool I'd want if I had a circular saw and a drill would be a random orbit sander. And probably a hand-held jigsaw (the bosch barrel-grip is very highly regarded) soon after.

But portable power tools will only get you so far. If you get more serious, you're probably going to want the basic stationary tools - a table saw, jointer, planer, drill press, and bandsaw. You'll find lots of threads here debating the correct sequence and endless threads debating which of each to get, new or used, etc.

But in the meantime you're going to want at least a couple clamps, an accurate metal ruler and a square, wood glue, a variety of wood screws, and a variety of sand paper grits.

Your bench looks nice, but mounting a bench vise (or 2) would improve its functionality. Lee Valley is one popular source for those (and much else).

Bob Cross
09-15-2009, 7:56 PM
Bob,

Try your local public library, if it's anything like the one where I live it will have a lot of good material. Libraries are so underutilized these days, with inter-library loan you can get almost any book that you want within a week or two. It's a great way to get to see lots of good material and best of all...it's free!

Matt suggested "Small Woodworking Shops" by the editors of Fine Woodworking. I have that one out from my local library right now...definitely worth a look.

Bob

Matt Stiegler
09-16-2009, 9:54 AM
Or for a, umm, more comprehensive approach to gearing up, just read my #1 all-time favorite SMC post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1012570).