PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with these?

Jake Helmboldt
09-15-2009, 1:45 PM
I have a set of the cheap carbon steel Jet chisels that came with my lathe. I thought about selling them, but I'd be lucky to get $20, and even then I'd feel guilty for selling them to somebody. My frugality says I can't throw them away, so what can I use them for?

I see that at least one quality turner here known for his hollow forms and who lives in the center of the universe, AKA Harvey, MI has a set by the lathe. I've thought about modifying some of them for various scrapers to get into tight spots. Any other potential worthwhile uses? Or should I just unload them on the first unsuspecting individual for free and let them think I am generous? :p

JH

Sean Hughto
09-15-2009, 1:57 PM
I was at a turning class recently where the instructor did a demonstration to make a point about the relative simplicity of turning. First, he took a regular no name bench chisel and used it sort of like a skew to excellent effect. Next, he took a screwdriver off the tool rack, touched it to the grinder to make sure the tip was clean and square, and then used it to do a bit of spindle turning, again with reasonable results. I took his point to be that even though fancy tools are very nice to work with and may be required for certain operations, we sometimes forget how basic it can be. Regular steel has drawbacks in just the way HSS might have drawbacks relative to powdered or carbide in certain instances, but it doesn't mean that the carbon steel can't do the work or be useful. Lot's of stuff was turned very nicely back when carbon was the only game in town.

I'm just a beginner, so I don't mean to come off like a professed expert - just sharing some thoughts and my limited experiences to date.

Michael Mills
09-15-2009, 2:52 PM
Just keep ‘em in a drawer for now. Need a dovetail chisel for your chuck, about 5 minutes at the grinder and you have a $25 tool. Decide you want a beading tool? Tilt your drill press 10% and drill a hole at the end, take it to your grinder and remove ½ of the hole… now you have a $35 beading tool.
Mike

John Beaver
09-15-2009, 3:50 PM
I completely agree with the 2 previous posts.

I acquired a really old set of unknown chisels... They're great to have around to regrind for specific little details. I made one for dovetails and I love it.

I took a class once where we made our own tools out of allen wrenches. We bent one 90 degrees at the tip and used it under the lip of small hollow forms.

Steve Mawson
09-15-2009, 4:05 PM
I have a set of Craftsman that are probably 50 years old. If you are careful when sharpening them they will cut as good as any tool. They do get dull a little faster. I have a round nose that I made into a scraper and it works quite well. Same thing for a diamond point. I would for sure keep them, but thats just me.

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2009, 4:08 PM
Jake - my set of carbon tools hang close to the lathe and get used a lot more than I originally thought they would. They are great for small detail work and take a great edge - just don't last very long. I have ground one of the scrapers into an extreme spear point and use it more than the others. So, hang onto the tools and modify them for those special cuts.

curtis rosche
09-15-2009, 4:42 PM
i have a few cheap tools to. i use them on very very hard or abrasive woods for hollowing or roughing, so that i can just go back and touch up with an exspencive tool. makes the nice tools last longer from less sharpening

Jake Helmboldt
09-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Great replies! I hadn't even thought about things like beading or dovetail tools (probably because I haven't had the need....yet). But now I'll keep that in mind when I think, "gee, I wish I had a tool for this one time need."

Steve, a variety of spear points is precisely what I had in mind. I'll be getting to work on the grinder.

And Sean, your point is well taken, especially if it is a tool that is needed only occaisionally and edge retention isn't a major factor.