PDA

View Full Version : Never Intrduced Myself

Jake Byrd
09-15-2004, 3:18 PM
Hey,

My name is Jake Byrd and I live near Winston-Salem, NC. I am 12 years old and I am in the 8th grade. I will be getting a Jet Mini Pen Lathe(I heard about it already) from my grandma either today or tomorrow, hopefully. I know a lot of you have seen me from my Getting a Lathe and One Big Pumpkin post. Anyway, I just wanted to say hey!:D

Russell Svenningsen
09-15-2004, 3:24 PM
Jake,
Welcome to the Creek! Congratulations on the lathe! Should work nicely for you.

Now go do your homework! :D

Jake Byrd
09-15-2004, 3:26 PM
As we speak Mr. Svenningsen, as we speak.:D

Dave Right
09-15-2004, 3:30 PM
Wish I was your age to start WW and with a great bunch of guys.
Ask a lot of questions. Everyone will help.

Michael Stafford
09-15-2004, 3:32 PM
Welcome aboard Jake. I grew up in Winston-Salem a few years ago moved away to pursue a career and have now returned to NC. Woodworking is a good hobby. Just protect those fingers and eyes. Good luck!

Jon Olson
09-15-2004, 3:48 PM
Jake,

Remember to wear and use all safety equipment. Now let your creativity fly and show us some pics. There a lot of great wood tuners here, that can help you grow in the hobby. Make sure to tell your grandma THANKS!!

Welcome to the Creek.

Jon

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 3:54 PM
Welcome aboard, Jake! 'Wish I got started in woodworking at your age...but it was 28 years later for me...do the math for practice! :D And as Jon says...safety first.

Brad Schmid
09-15-2004, 3:56 PM
Welcome Jake! A grandma like that is a keeper :D Better make sure she gets a nice pen set ;) Glad you joined in.

Brad

Jake Byrd
09-15-2004, 4:00 PM
I was just looking at the member list and there are a TON of people from NC. I bet we must have some good clubs and stuff here to.

Dick Parr
09-15-2004, 4:16 PM
Welcome Jake.

Jim Ketron
09-15-2004, 4:19 PM
Welcome Jake Good to have you here!

Jim

Kent Cori
09-15-2004, 5:04 PM
Jake,

Let me add a hearty WELCOME to all the others you've already received. We're glad to see someone like you starting out on a hobby that you can enjoy all your life. Make sure you thank your grandma and that she gets your first pen! ;)

Denny Lawson
09-15-2004, 5:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Jake! 'Wish I got started in woodworking at your age...but it was 28 years later for me...do the math for practice! :D And as Jon says...safety first.
lessee......8+2 carry the 1....hang on I gotta take my shoe off....dangit Jim!:mad: quit givin out these hard assignments late in the day:D

oops I forgot my manners...Welcome aboard Jake!;)

I don't post much, I started hanging around here a couple months ago and recognized a lot of these folks from other forums, so I've just been kinda lurkin on them..:)

Lots of nice folks here....Enjoy!

Denny

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2004, 5:39 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek Jake! Lots of neat people here with varied skills but all with the love of woodworking! There are some really great turners that are members here. I'm sure they'll be glad to give you advice should you need it. We'll also be asking for advice and hopefully you'll contribute! Be sure to thank that Grandma of yours! She really sounds special! She should get that first pen set! She'll cherish it for the rest of her life! Again.....Welcome!

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 6:38 PM
Wow...so young! Too cool. I think at your age (actually, younger) I was making racecars for the Cub Scouts for their pinewood derby. Fun stuff.

I've never had a lathe and I actually hope I don't get one...for now. I just have no room for it nor any money.

So did you manage to get a corner in your dad's garage/shop to set yourself up? I hope so...post some pictures if you can.

Glenn Clabo
09-15-2004, 7:35 PM
Hey Jake...welcome aboard.

Lou Morrissette
09-15-2004, 7:52 PM
Welcome Jake. Have fun with your new tool. Pretty exciting stuff you're getting into.