John Schreiber
09-15-2009, 2:45 PM
http://downloads.hyperscale.com/guides/B17log.pdf

this is some interesting reading.....
Wow. What to say. Wow.

Ben Franz
09-15-2009, 6:05 PM
+1 WOW.

My dad flew in B-17's in South Pacific. Wish I had something like this from him - just have a very spotty journal w/few entries.

Butch Edwards
09-15-2009, 7:24 PM
I think the most important thing about this, is that it's living history that should be read in schools...forget about what people THINK happened and why, tell it from the eyes of those that were there....

Mark Stutz
09-15-2009, 8:53 PM
Read the whole thing...couldn't stop.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Just read it all, I think I'll do it again. Men where made of tougher stuff then. It's been an honor to have known several guys like this, and every one of them has seen and done things that I just can't comprehend. Phenomenal.

Can you imagine that matter of fact perspective today?

Pat Germain
09-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow, that was downright fascinating! I also read the whole thing. I'm glad it had a happy ending; for the writer, anyway.

I've been doing research on my grandmother's two brothers over the past several years. One flew on B-24's and the other joined the Royal Canadian Air Force before the US was in the war.

My uncle who was in the RCAF flew on plywood bombers called Wellington's. He was shot down over the North Sea. His was the only body found. He was buried on a Danish island by a German priest. Interestingly, I found very detailed records about all this. I requested my uncle's service record from Canada and they happily sent it to me.

FYI, if you have relatives who served in WWII, it's actually pretty easy to request their service records. You can do it from the US Veteran's Administration web page. I'm still researching my uncle who flew on B-24's.

Thank's for sharing that link, Butch!

Mike Sheppard
09-17-2009, 8:08 AM
I live about 15 miles from The Yankee Air Museum, about two times a year they fly a B-17 over my house, what a rush it is, you can hear it coming way before it gets in sight. At 72 I still run outside (well walk fast), its not very high so I get to see it very well.
Mike

Karl Brogger
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Damn good find!

My fathers uncle was a B-24 captain, unfortuntly I don't know much more than that. I met the man a couple of times, but I was very young at the time. He passed away and was burried at Arlington in 2005. My older brother made the trip for the funeral.

Reading that makes me want to watch Band of Brothers again....

Matt Ranum
09-17-2009, 5:36 PM
Thank you for bringing that here. Awesome history in this from someone who lived it.