PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help (Complete Rookie!)

Leigh Edwards
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I called Epilog yesterday and they suggested I ask y'all for help ....please:)

I have a newly purchased Epilog Mini, I have installed the Epilog Driver and Corel X4. I have never worked with a vectoring program before and am having problems understanding how to use Corel.

I am fairly conversant with Photoshop CS3 and do all my graphic work in that program. As I understand it, when I import a psd file from PS, it automatically converts to a Corel file... I looked at the tutorial on Epilog's site on how to do a vector outline using Corel, but even following the steps, it doesn't work.

Their instructions are using Corel X3, and I don't know if that makes a difference http://www.epiloglaser.com/clipart_outline.htm

What I asked the Epilog tech, and he didn't know, was when I import a file, do I need to merge the layers first? Does it flatten the images automatically? Do I need to import each image separately and try and get a vector outline around each one individually before importing the next one? I'm so confused:confused:

I went to an Epilog training seminar, but that was before I actually had my Mini, or Corel, and the guy zipped through the program so quickly that it didn't make much sense to me.

I want to use my machine for cutting wood, and at this time I have no plans to do any engraving.

I'm sure y'all have been asked these type of questions a million times, and I appreciate your indulgence with my complete ignorance:o Thank you.

Martin Boekers
09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I recommend investing in a set of Corel instructional videos and work through them. Well worth the $$$'s

Also make use of Corel web site and forums for Corel (Corel is quite a bit different than Photoshop. Closer to Illustrator.)

You Tube is great for video tutorials.

Do some web searching there are tons of free tutorials out there also.

You'll find that one question will lead to another and another when you are just getting started that's why I recommend this approach.

Good luck and welcome aboard!!!

Marty

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
As I understand it, when I import a psd file from PS, it automatically converts to a Corel file
Umm. No. Corel has been known to do horrible things to PSDs; particularly with layers. The best way in my experience, is to flatten the image and save as a TIFF (you can have transparency- corel understands that). TIFF seems to transport images between photoshop and corel best for me.

I looked at the tutorial on Epilog's site on how to do a vector outline using Corel, but even following the steps, it doesn't work.
Have to be a little more specific here. WHAT doesn't work?

do I need to merge the layers first
Best to, really.

Do I need to import each image separately and try and get a vector outline around each one individually before importing the next one? I'm so confused
If your layers all merge together in one lump, you can merge the layers and export it as a TIFF with transparency, and corel will happily outline the total shape. If you want to move stuff around in corel, then you'll probably have to do the layers separately.

If you want to convert your PSD (bitmap) into vector, you'll have to use the 'trace' function in corel. Just importing an image doesn't make it a vector (I wish it did!). So to get a vector format, either use the trace function or import the bitmap and go over it by hand in corel. If you just want an outline round the bitmap (for cutting out etc), export as a tiff with transparency from photoshop & corel'll accept that.

Hope that helped

EDIT:
Their instructions are using Corel X3, and I don't know if that makes a difference http://www.epiloglaser.com/clipart_outline.htm
They started with a vector image in that tut. So that's why.

I called Epilog yesterday and they suggested I ask y'all for help
How much shall we invoice Epilog for customer support chaps?

Doug Griffith
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
My recommendation since you have no experience with vector programs but are already familiar with Adobe's interface is to use Adobe Illustrator. The 2 programs are similar and share many tools. PSDs import great also.

I use it exclusively with my Epilog Mini and never have problems.

You won't have such a large group of people to get help from here on SMC but a few of us Illustrator users are on here daily.

Cheers,
Doug

Leigh Edwards
09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Thank you for your replies:)

I have searched several sites, including Corel's for tutorials, but since I'm so unfamiliar with the program, and the tech talk that goes with it, I didn't really grasp the concept (must be that right brain artist in me:o) However, I never thought of checking YouTube, thank you for that suggestion.

How much shall we invoice Epilog for customer support chaps?

LOL!! That's EXACTLY what I thought when the tech squirmed out of walking me through the program.

Leigh Edwards
09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
but are already familiar with Adobe's interface is to use Adobe Illustrator

Yes, that's what I wanted to do originally, but both the instructor at the class I went to, and the tech at Epilog, strongly discouraged the use of Illustrator when working with the Epilog, and recommended I purchase Corel X4....mmmmmm, are they getting a kickback from Corel???:D

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Most engravers use corel. So most of the tuts and the quick replies to fiendishly advanced and complicated questions are for corel. Using illustrator is doable, but the resources are fewer and further between.

I use photoshop & corel...can't get my head round illustrator at all.

Doug Griffith
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes, that's what I wanted to do originally, but both the instructor at the class I went to, and the tech at Epilog, strongly discouraged the use of Illustrator when working with the Epilog, and recommended I purchase Corel X4....mmmmmm, are they getting a kickback from Corel???:D

It is probably because they are not experienced with Illustrator and can't provide good tech support for it. If you have ever created a bezier curve using Photoshop's path tool, you're well on your way to knowing Illustrator. Corel's interface is so different from Adobe's, your learning curve will be a lot longer if you go that direction.

Doug Griffith
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Most engravers use corel. So most of the tuts and the quick replies to fiendishly advanced and complicated questions are for corel. Using illustrator is doable, but the resources are fewer and further between.

I use photoshop & corel...can't get my head round illustrator at all.

I think most engravers use Corel because it is (or was) the cheapest option and has embedded itself in the industry. Engravers that use Illustrator are probably converts from the graphics arts industry and continue to use what they know best. Because of that, they are probably Mac users as well which means Corel has always annoyed them because it never really evolved on that platform.

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 1:04 PM
To: xxxxxx@epiloglaser.com
Subject: Invoice- customer support subcontracting

Hi Xxxxxx,

Thank you for referring your customer to us for customer support.
The issue was resolved.

INVOICE:

TO: CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUBCONTRACTING
AMOUNT: $18
PAYABLE TO: SawmillCreek.org to buy memberships for the 3 on-call
support technicians that answered YOUR customer's query as follows:
1) Darren Null
2) Doug Griffith
3) Martin Boekers

Thank you for your custom, and please use our service again.
Sawmill Creek support crew.

Darren

Leigh Edwards
09-15-2009, 1:14 PM
[QUOTE they are probably Mac users as well [/QUOTE]

Yep, that too, although I did install Corel on a PC!

The guy at the class asked how many people used a Mac, 2 or 3 of us raised our hands, and he said 'well, don't come to us with questions, you should use a PC':eek:

Leigh Edwards
09-15-2009, 1:17 PM
TO: CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUBCONTRACTING
AMOUNT: $18

I think you got the amount wrong...you're seriously underselling your services (Epilog charges $100 an HOUR for labor if they work on your machine, you should charge at least that much... for this highly technical advice;))

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 1:20 PM
This was indoor work from a comfy chair and with no heavy lifting.
:D

Doug Griffith
09-15-2009, 1:23 PM
Come to think of it, I don't even think I've seen an ad by any of the laser manufacturers on SMC. They should show a little support.

Martin Boekers
09-15-2009, 1:42 PM
If you are already familiar with Illustrator, (I'm not that familiar with it), maybe you could set up your file in Illustrator the save it, convert it or export it into a Corel importable form.

Then use Corel to send to the laser if your having problems with going directly from an IA file.

Maybe someone here could help with that.

Marty

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 2:16 PM
Dear Darren,

Please send remittance address at your convenience. Do you accept
Monopoly Money? =)

On a serious note, I would just like to say that as a sales team we do
take advantage of telling our new customers about the great information
they can find on Sawmill Creek. We are experts on building laser
engraving equipment but you all know what it is like to run a laser
engraving business day-to-day and it is very comforting for new laser
owners to hear from the experienced laser owners out there. Hopefully
new memberships because of our referrals help out the community at
Sawmill Creek!

While I will discourage our Tech team from sending such inquiries to the
Creek from now on, we do appreciate all the knowledge that you all pass
between one another.

Thanks & have a great day!

Sincerely,
Name withheld because you can never tell the corporate reaction to a quick game of silly sods
A pretty graceful answer, considering.

And a reply, just to cover various bits:

Hi *COUGH*,

Remittance address is sawmillcreek.org. And dollars isn't far off
monopoly money these days, alas.

I in no way wish you to discourage using Sawmill Creek as a resource.
As you say, this is where the machine users hang out; and we do have
a different take on things than you guys who manufacture them do.
It was a little cheeky of your tech to get us to do his/her job for
them, so I was just being cheeky back. And if the 3 of us who did
help out scored memberships out of it....well. Worth a try. No harm
no foul either way.
=8-)

I don't represent Sawmill Creek in any capacity whatsoever, by the
way. Keith Outten is the owner etc.

Darren

EDIT:

Thanks for the clarification, Darren!

We all need an opportunity to be a little cheeky now and again, don't
we?

Keep up the good work that all of you members do at Sawmill Creek!

Sincerely,
Nice email. No membership though. *sigh*

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 2:24 PM
IIRC you can import AI files into corel; but you sometimes lose a bit in translation if you're using super features of the latest illustrator version.

Doug Griffith
09-15-2009, 2:52 PM
IIRC you can import AI files into corel; but you sometimes lose a bit in translation if you're using super features of the latest illustrator version.

I go directly from Illustrator to my Epilog Mini without any problems. No need for Corel.

John Noell
09-15-2009, 3:19 PM
Corel's interface is so different from Adobe's...Yeah, but the old MacDraw was probably closer to Corel's than Adobe's interface. :)

Doug Griffith
09-15-2009, 3:49 PM
Yeah, but the old MacDraw was probably closer to Corel's than Adobe's interface. :)

...and MacDraw went the way of the DoDo bird along with Claris.

Jeanette Brewer
09-15-2009, 5:31 PM
Come to think of it, I don't even think I've seen an ad by any of the laser manufacturers on SMC. They should show a little support.

Doug,

I can't speak to the ads -- frankly, I either have mine turned off or I just never notice them (sorry). I'm sure, however, that you've noticed several of the laser manufacturers who support SMC by participating in the discussions. I've seen quite a few of them offer assistance/information when requested (and, sometimes, when not requested)! ;)

Bill Cunningham
09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
It was damn nice of the rep to refer a question he could not answer to the folks on the creek.. After all, they make lasers not Corel tutorials. And in their field, they've had all the right answers for me.. I'd only bill the few companies that actually 'charge' you for after warranty tech support.. As if the 20-100k you spent with them does not qualify for 'extra' services..:mad:

laura passek
09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm surprized that the Epilog tech didn't mention that there is a manual that you can purchase from them that is geared for people that us CD with a laser.
I purchased one when I bought my laser and it is fairly well written.

CorelDraw and Your Laser Engraver by Mike Clarke.
It's Canadian but you should be able to get it in the US.

Leigh Edwards
09-16-2009, 2:05 AM
...and MacDraw went the way of the DoDo bird along with Claris.

Hey!! I think I STILL have MacDraw loaded on my Mac:D

Leigh Edwards
09-16-2009, 2:08 AM
I'm surprized that the Epilog tech didn't mention that there is a manual that you can purchase from them that is geared for people that us CD with a laser.

Thank you, I'll check into that too.

Leigh Edwards
09-16-2009, 2:17 AM
[QUOTE The best way in my experience, is to flatten the image and save as a TIFF (you can have transparency- corel understands that). TIFF seems to transport images between photoshop and corel best for me.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have a chance to try this today, but it will be the first thing I get to tomorrow. Thanks again:)

Darren Null
09-16-2009, 5:28 AM
Welcome. Save as dialogue box in photoshop --> TIF. There's a box with options that comes up for TIF, and transparency is one of the boxes (default unchecked). It then pops up a warning to the effect that some programs can't handle transparent tif, but relax because corel isn't one of them.
It'll also pop up a warning if you've got layers, and IIRC that one's worth listening to.

Keith Outten
09-16-2009, 5:47 AM

Doug,

I asked every laser manufacturer if they would like to sponsor a banner ad here, not one of them has been willing :(

There are a lot of laser manufacturers employees who are registered Members here that check in regularly, I expect they use our Private Messaging system to contact their customers or possibly their competitors customers :)

Peter Meacham
09-16-2009, 8:58 AM
It's not Epilog's, or any other laser manufacturers, job to teach people to use Corel Draw over the phone - an impossible job at best - I thought it was appropriate of Epilog to refer Leigh to a valuable resource such as the SMC where we could advise Leigh further.

My opinion.