PDA

View Full Version : High quality bandsaw sought.

Bob Cross
09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm looking for a good bandsaw to do both typical bandsawing procedures as well as some intricate work such as making wooden clock gears. (I prefer a bandsaw to a scroll saw for this) I'd like to keep the price under $1000 and nearer $500 would be great.

My main criteria is a very well made saw that is precise and will stay in alignment. Balanced wheels, a good tensioning system, low vibration, high quality blade guides and a good flat table. (This may be where "Dream The Impossible Dream" starts playing in the background)

I've looked at the usual places and was considering one of the Grizzly's such as the G0555x or G0513x2. My dilema is that in reading reviews for these quite a few people have found substantial problems mainly stemming from low quality control or poor craftmanship with offshore production.

I have very little experience with bandsaws and am hoping that some of you with more experience can point me in the right direction and give me the benefit of your wisdom.

Thanks,
Bob

Jerome Hanby
09-15-2009, 11:37 AM
How about a vintage cast iron Delta. Find one for under $300 and start going through the Iturra catalog upgrading it...

Dave Bartley
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
One of the best bandsaw's for the Buck is the Shop Fox 14". It has cast iron wheel's and is 2 speed. You can also get a riser kit for it so you can cut up to 12" material. I believe the HP is 1 1/2.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
the MM 16 may be just the ticket. More money but, a great rep.
Often considered the Gold Standard. It's got flat wheels so it'll track little blades just fine.

Thomas Pender
09-15-2009, 1:00 PM
Price is right. Mine cuts everything - it is the go to in my shop, from cutting intricate stuff to ripping 12/4 oak - just change the saw blade.

While I am sure some claim the more expensive ones are better and who knows, they may be, my 14" Grizzly just keeps on ticking and I do some real fine cuts on it with a thin blade. I even use it to cut tenons for dresser web frames, arches for mission furniture and even some near scrollwork stuff. Typically it has a 1/2 3 tpi on it, but I do use a 1/16 and more commonly a 1/4.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2009, 1:04 PM
Bob,

To the best of my knowledge of the better known manufacturers, only General of Canada still manufactures a bandsaw on the North American continent. Of course, you will pay more because it's made on this continent.

That leaves one alternative...buy an older one made here and refurbish it. If you are mechanically inclined, that could be a good deal and you could become educated about bandsaws while doing it.

As Cliff stated, I have the MM-16 but it's Italian made a whole lot more cash than you indicated you wanted to spend.

That leaves the ones made in Asia. The ones made in Taiwan, China etc, have their place in the market. They are designed to sell at a cheaper price. As such, they sell a lot more of them than say the MM-16 I have as it's 2-3 times as much money.

I would expect because the Asian made saw sell many times as many saws, you would expect to have more problems reported.

Many folks never tout the fact they bought one and it's working well, but they seem to rejoice when they have something to whine about..... The point, a bad review of a product is more likely to be reported Online than when someone is happy with a product.

So....for your price range.....and if you don't want something from Asia, I'd recommend looking at a used one.

Other than that.....there are a lot of folks here that have b/s made in Taiwan...China..........and have found them to be a good bang for the dollar.

Mine was made in Italy....It's a lot of bang....a lot of dollar....was it worth it? When my two sons fight over it after my demise....I suspect it will be.

Rod Sheridan
09-15-2009, 1:46 PM
Bob, Ken has given you good advice.

Offshore bandsaws for Americans come in three flavours;

1) Canadian as Ken indicated, excellent solid cast iron construction, accurately machined, priced accordingly.

2) European Bandsaws, excellent engineering, construction and quality control, priced accordingly

3) Asian made saws, typically lower quality, construction and engineering, priced accordingly.

The fourth option is an older North American saw, they can be a good choice if you're mechanically inclined. Often bargain priced, however watch out for defects that aren't repairable, or are extremely costly to repair.

If I wanted a good high quality bandsaw, option 2 would be my choice.

Note that in option #3, none of the distributors make their own machinery, so getting parts in 10 years could be a problem, depending upon the circumstances/importer.

Regards, Rod.

Cary Falk
09-15-2009, 2:01 PM
There are plenty of happy owners of the G0555 and the G0513x2 on this site, including me.

John Coloccia
09-15-2009, 2:11 PM
There are plenty of happy owners of the G0555 and the G0513x2 on this site, including me.

514X2 also. I love mine.

Stephen Edwards
09-15-2009, 2:24 PM
Count me in a satisfied owner of both the the G0555 and the G0555X. Here's a review that I wrote shortly after getting my "X" model properly set up:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81302

Since posting that review and reading tons of BS threads here on the Creek, I've learned more about blade tension, bearing adjustments, etc.

Now that I've had the G0555X for a year and a half or so, I'm still very satisfied with it. Are there times when I wish that I had a bigger, more powerful BS? Yes. Do I need one for my tasks? No. It just takes me a little more time to do 10-12" resaws. I don't do those often enough to warrant spending the money, from my point of view, for a "bigger, better" machine. But, that's just me.

Rick Moyer
09-15-2009, 4:33 PM
Well more often that not you get what you pay for. I have the G0555. I think it is a $600 saw that costs $400, i.e., a good value. I have been researching saws lately and I believe that I would choose the G0513X2 now. I consider it the best "value". While the G0514x2 is a better saw yet, I personally don't feel the extras are worth the extra $400 it costs over the 0513X2. Depends on what you want. Same could be said for the "better" European saws, etc.
That being said, if you don't do more sawing than I do, the 0555 or 0555X should be enough. I haven't used another bandsaw than mine, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It really is enough for me, I'd just LIKE to have a better saw.

richard poitras
09-15-2009, 4:47 PM
Bob what is your location ?....

John Coloccia
09-15-2009, 5:49 PM
Well more often that not you get what you pay for. I have the G0555. I think it is a $600 saw that costs $400, i.e., a good value. I have been researching saws lately and I believe that I would choose the G0513X2 now. I consider it the best "value". While the G0514x2 is a better saw yet, I personally don't feel the extras are worth the extra $400 it costs over the 0513X2. Depends on what you want. Same could be said for the "better" European saws, etc.
That being said, if you don't do more sawing than I do, the 0555 or 0555X should be enough. I haven't used another bandsaw than mine, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It really is enough for me, I'd just LIKE to have a better saw.

The only reason I choose the 514x is for the throat clearance. I just needed another inch or so for some operations. If not for that, the 513x seemed like the clear price/performance winner.

Bob Cross
09-15-2009, 7:50 PM
Thanks for all the responses and the good advice. I'm still unsure which route to take but I'm leaning towards one of the Grizzly saws. I can't really go much higher in price than I indicated and the really good European and Canadian saws seem to be a good bit more than my budget allows.

Richard, you asked my location...I'm on Marylands Eastern Shore.

Thanks all,
Bob

kenneth kayser
09-15-2009, 8:54 PM
I don't think I will ever buy another tool from Grizzley. I ordered some parts for my belt sander. They were the wrong parts. After I returned them, I was charged a "re-stocking fee". The correct parts were no longer available even though the tool was less than 5 yrs old. The tools itself is pretty decent, but the company is terrible to deal with. Goodbye Grizzley.

Cary Falk
09-15-2009, 9:13 PM
I don't think I will ever buy another tool from Grizzley. I ordered some parts for my belt sander. They were the wrong parts. After I returned them, I was charged a "re-stocking fee". The correct parts were no longer available even though the tool was less than 5 yrs old. The tools itself is pretty decent, but the company is terrible to deal with. Goodbye Grizzley.

How is that Grizzly's fault that you ordered the wrong parts? A restocking fee is not that uncommon.

george wilson
09-15-2009, 9:57 PM
He didn't yet say he ordered the wrong parts. If they made the mistake,certainly no restocking fee should result,though.

Cary Falk
09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
He didn't yet say he ordered the wrong parts.

I ordered some parts for my belt sander. They were the wrong parts.

He did say it but he needs to clarify. I order parts all the time using part numbers from parts diagrams. I don't trust customer service to get it right.

If they made the mistake,certainly no restocking fee should result,though.

I agree.

Dan McCallum
09-16-2009, 12:44 AM
I would echo the comments previously posted about the merits of picking up an older US (or Canada) made bandsaw for cheap and fixing it up. Keep an eye on your local online classifieds and check out the Old WoodWorking Machines website. A 12" machine may be all you need.

It will be a fun project on its own and if you are the least bit mechanically inclined you won't have any problems restoring one. And when you're gone it'll be a machine that your heirs will fight over instead of just hauling to the kerb!

Dan

Josiah Bartlett
09-16-2009, 12:51 AM
I think the Grizzlys are great saws for the money, especially the 17 and 19" models. I almost bought one right before I got a deal that I couldn't pass up on a 16" Walker Turner.

Montgomery Scott
09-16-2009, 9:46 AM
Have you considered a different approach to making gears? In FWW Small Projects book there is an article about a guy who makes his gear teeth using a lathe and router. He gets exactly the tooth same profile every pass and the lathe indexing system allows precise repeatability. However, if you are looking at making large gears, then a BS may be the best way to go.

Shiraz Balolia
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
He didn't yet say he ordered the wrong parts. If they made the mistake,certainly no restocking fee should result,though.

This is off the subject of this thread, but I cannot let this go without a response and clarification.

1) He did order the wrong parts. We had the right parts in stock and offered them, but he said he "improvised" and did not need the parts anymore.
2) He did not get charged restocking fee for the returned parts, but he did not get reimbursed the shipping charges.
3) He did buy a small handtool that he returned and was charged restocking fee on.
4) He has not purchased anything in over 5 years.

We generally have very good notes in our computer system.

Bob Cross
09-16-2009, 2:05 PM
Another question...I like the G0513x2, it takes a 131.5 inch blade...is it difficult to find good after market blades in this size? I haven't had much luck sourcing them.

Montgomery- I've seen the lathe indexing system online but for now I think the bandsaw suits me better.

Bob

Cary Falk
09-16-2009, 2:11 PM
I have a Carter blade that I bought locally that is that size. You can order blades online form Suffolk(sp?) and other places any size you need.

Ed Moehlenpah
09-16-2009, 2:12 PM
hope not. Mine is on it's way.
Highland Hardware.(Wood slicer)
Grizzly
Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf)

That's my plan at least.

Rod Sheridan
09-16-2009, 2:29 PM
Another question...I like the G0513x2, it takes a 131.5 inch blade...is it difficult to find good after market blades in this size? I haven't had much luck sourcing them.

Montgomery- I've seen the lathe indexing system online but for now I think the bandsaw suits me better.

Bob

Bob, buy your blades from an industrial supplier.

They cut them to length and weld them, so any size is possible.

That's the least expensive way to buy band saw blades, forget the retail method.....Rod.

Stephen Edwards
09-16-2009, 2:54 PM
That's the least expensive way to buy band saw blades, forget the retail method.....Rod.

Ditto, what he said.

glenn bradley
09-16-2009, 2:58 PM

I too was brought up a bit short on the QA comment. Where are you reading these reviews/comments. I have heard little other than praise for the 555 and the 513 family. If the G0555 is being reviewed by an Agazzani owner without consideration of price I could see there might be some expectations that weren't met ;-)

David Keller NC
09-16-2009, 6:43 PM
Bob - A suggestion. It sounds like you don't need big power and large capacity (not much point in buying 12" or greater resaw capacity if you're not going to re-saw). That means that you're probably looking for the typical, 14" floor-standing models, which should cost you about $800 in Delta, perhaps a bit less in Grizzly, and perhaps a bit more in a Jet with the new triangular frame.

Anyway, the factory tolerances for wheel balancing, tracking, guide quality, etc.. is usually fairly middle of the road, which is highly appropriate for most woodworkers that want to use it to rip stock, re-saw, etc..

However, if you want high precision tracking and completely vibration free operation, there are many things you can do yourself that will drastically increase performance from this aspect.

In particular, I spent a Saturday afternoon very precisely balancing the idler and driver wheels and shafts, replaced the standard v-belt with a link belt (which typically gives lower vibration), and replaced the stock guides with Carter ball bearing roller guides. I also tuned the blade by carefully smoothing down the weld, and rounding the back. THe difference was really unbelievable - well worth the time spent. And the expenditure was modest - about $125 for the Carter kit, and another $15 for the link belt.

Simon Dupay
09-16-2009, 8:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses and the good advice. I'm still unsure which route to take but I'm leaning towards one of the Grizzly saws. I can't really go much higher in price than I indicated and the really good European and Canadian saws seem to be a good bit more than my budget allows.

Richard, you asked my location...I'm on Marylands Eastern Shore.

Thanks all,
Bob

The Delta X-5 is still made in the U.S and is under $1,000.

Phil Thien
09-16-2009, 10:06 PM
We generally have very good notes in our computer system.

Some day you've GOT to write a book on operating a business.

Stephen Edwards
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
The Delta X-5 is still made in the U.S and is under $1,000.

To each their own, but I'd certainly take my time comparing the features of the Delta saw with its Jet and Grizzly counterparts. Seems to me, from what I've read, that you'll get a lot more saw for less money if you choose one of the latter.

I also wonder what they mean when they say "American Made". Are all the parts made in the USA? Is it 100% American manufactured and assembled?

Personally, I don't care where a machine is built as long as it's a good machine for the money spent. Even foreign made machines provide a lot of jobs in America.