PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Plaque Mess Up

Brian Jacobs
09-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I've been lurking around for a few months trying to sponge up the gigabytes of knowledge left on this forum, but today I ran across a problem I can't find the answer to. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I engraved some alder and walnut plaques. Had some varnish buildup and wiped it off with a damp cloth... (no problem). I wanted a bit more contrast on the engraving so I used some Minwax Walnut Wood Finish. BAD IDEA! The stain did its job... then proceeded to bleed into the grain and under the factory varnish. I'm not going to do that again, but how can I get a deeper 'natural wood' contrast (without it looking like a solid color fill)?

-Brian

Darren Null
09-15-2009, 12:00 AM
There's that wood-filler stuff that you repair chips in doorframes etc. with. Acts like putty. Comes in a range of colours. Can't remember what it's called though (it was Spanish, so yours'd be different anyway).

AL Ursich
09-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Thicker Latex Paint will work too.... But spray paint or thin paint or stain will wick up the exposed grain.... Or look for a GEL Stain like NORM uses on the NYWS. Might work better....

AL

Rodne Gold
09-15-2009, 2:42 AM
Wax shoe polish?

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-15-2009, 3:34 AM
Wax shoe polish?
And I use a tooth brush to get the shoe polixh into the text / logo.

AND I learned it here.

Brian Jacobs
09-15-2009, 8:40 AM
Think my wife will notice if I borrow her toothbrush? (I'll hide the mirrors.)

Great options... thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm glad our distibutor has a local warehouse. This one will cost a bit more than expected.

Rob Patterson
09-15-2009, 10:39 AM
You could also try using a clear sealer on the engraved area before going with the color. Even a clear lacquer will normally work. The sealer will "seal" the end grain and limit the amount of color it soaks (and bleeds) on to the rest of the plaque.

I have had decent luck with this process.

Bruce Volden
09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
You could also try using a clear sealer on the engraved area before going with the color. Even a clear lacquer will normally work. The sealer will "seal" the end grain and limit the amount of color it soaks (and bleeds) on to the rest of the plaque.

I have had decent luck with this process.

+1 from me~~~THIS WORKS!!

Bruce