View Full Version : Rounded corners?

Jay Yoder
09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
This may be a strange question, but I wondered how everybody else out there puts a radiused corner on the edge of a piece or panel? So far I have just marked it and cut it close on the bandsaw and and then got the final shape by sanding it. This slow messy method got me thinking of other options. I though of maybe making a "master" panel which would have a different radius on each corner. Then I could use a bearing-guided pattern bit in the router and be done other than maybe some light sanding...any thoughts on this? I was also thinking about drilling holes on the "inside" of the "master" to use for the opposite operation...any thoughts?

Noah Katz
09-14-2009, 10:34 PM
You haven't heard of roundover router bits?

william scott
09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
O.K., I'll bite. I haven't heard of a roundover bit and haven't used one before. Got any pictures of what they do?

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2009, 11:20 PM
I'll bet just about everyone does exactly what you are thinking about. A template with a flush trim bit. You can use a router bit but you have to run it with the router sitting on the edge of the panel which is about as awkward as woodworking can get! You might be able to "gang" clamp several panels together to get a wider surface for the router. Or make some kind of platform to clamp the panel to. But none of those "solutions" really seem like any less trouble that using a template and trim bit. Of course, if you have a spare hundred grand laying around, you can do it easily with a CNC router....

Noah Katz
09-14-2009, 11:40 PM
"You can use a router bit but you have to run it with the router sitting on the edge of the panel which is about as awkward as woodworking can get!"

Ah, I didn't understand the question.

But my answer is the same, and yes it's tricky; much easier with a trim router than full size.

Gary Breckenridge
09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I often use a 1/8 or a 1/4" roundover bit on a box or children's toys to give them a more user friendly surface. I also think rounded edges are less prone to dents and dings.:cool:

Steve Clardy
09-15-2009, 12:02 AM
This may be a strange question, but I wondered how everybody else out there puts a radiused corner on the edge of a piece or panel? So far I have just marked it and cut it close on the bandsaw and and then got the final shape by sanding it. This slow messy method got me thinking of other options. I though of maybe making a "master" panel which would have a different radius on each corner. Then I could use a bearing-guided pattern bit in the router and be done other than maybe some light sanding...any thoughts on this? I was also thinking about drilling holes on the "inside" of the "master" to use for the opposite operation...any thoughts?

1 or 2 panels, etc. Bandsaw to line then edge sand.

More than a few, I make a template and use a flush trim but in a router table

johnny means
09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
What size radius are we talking about. When I worked in a countertop shop we kept several such templates. We had from .5 to 12 inch. we made them by shaping a radius on the corner of a square blank, then attaching two strips of wood onto the two sides adjoining the radius. The two strips were flush with the top of the template piece and overhung the bottom by about a half inch. These were used to register the jig on top of the work piece. When the time came to cut a radius you would grab the right size jig, drop it onto the corner you needed to radius and cut it with a small diameter pattern bit. No clamps and it's almost impassible to botch the cut because the jig limits the depth of your cut.

harry strasil
09-15-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/400-1200/new_products

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/400-1190/router_accessories

Bill Huber
09-15-2009, 2:06 AM
I maybe missing the question altogether but I don't see how you could use a roundover router bits to cut a radius corner.

I read the question as you have a 90 degree corner and you want it to be rounded off, not rounding off the edge of the board.

If that is right then this is what I did, make a template from 1/2 inch MDF. I rounded the corner off with my sander to the radius I wanted and then glued 2 small strips on each side. Now I just use a trim bit to cut the radius. It is a lot like the one Eagle sells.

Doug Shepard
09-15-2009, 5:07 AM
I've made a couple different sizes as I needed them that were identical to the type Bill Huber posted. Traced it first then bandsawed the corners about 1/16" oversize, then clampled the template on and trimmed with a lam trimmer.

mike holden
09-15-2009, 8:40 AM
Ditto on the template that Bill shows, but if you are not interested in making your own, Rockler sells kits of corner templates.
Mike

Gregory Stahl
09-15-2009, 8:46 AM
I use a bandsaw to cut close, and depending on what I am making or the material being used, an edgesander or flush trim bit and template.

Jay Yoder
09-15-2009, 10:20 PM
thanks for the replies. Bill that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot! I have a Bosch Colt that would excel at this little exercise! I will try to bandsaw it and then sand it close...or I could get my buddy to cut it out with the CNC where he works if he is willing. Either way, the design works well...

Josiah Bartlett
09-16-2009, 1:11 AM
I've used a circle cutting jig and a router on smaller sized table tops, but it takes a little bit of geometry to figure out where to place the pivot point for the radius you want.

glenn bradley
09-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I have template for drawing a pencil line. I jig or band saw close to the line and sand to finish. Not real sophisticated and if I did it a lot I would seek a better solution.