PDA

View Full Version : PC Router Table

mickey cassiba
09-14-2009, 9:33 PM
Hey Ya'll
I've got a PC router table with a 890 mounted in it. Need advice. I also have a a Delta Model 441B contractor saw(made in Tupelo). I'm not considering a cabinet saw, as I have no space or $ for it, but do have enough hardware to mount a full size table extension(bies. 52" as I remember) Finally to the question: As I have already modified the PC table for table top height adjustment and re-engineered the pitiful fence system, would it be a far stretch to let the aluminum table top into the extension, or scrap the aluminum and mount the router directly to the saw table?
All opinions/thoughts gratefully accepted.

Mickey

Forgot to say that the TS is on a mobile base so cabinetry underneath is not in the plan.

mickey cassiba
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
From the deafening silence, I assume that this has been sent to the DQ file. Let me re-phrase. I'm interested in installing a router table set up into my table saw. Suggestions?

Kyle Iwamoto
09-18-2009, 1:04 PM
Okay, I'll chime in then. I'm not a pro, but I just installed a router plate in my extension wing. That's what I'd suggest you do. I assume your table has a plate in it. Just take the plate, use it as a template and route the hole for the plate. Easy. I have yet to route the T-Track channels so I can build a dedicated router fence. The TS fence works for now.

Since my ext wing is MDF, I also built a support structure under the wing that the plate actually sits on.

mickey cassiba
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Kyle...hate to scrap the aluminum plate as it is super flat, but space is my primary concern. All the tools live in a shed and get pulled out onto the porch when needed. The 6' long TS is the Queen of the shed. Trying to economize space. The Biesmeyer table is ply with formica overlay. Your suggestion should work out. Beats a hole in the table.

glenn bradley
09-18-2009, 11:54 PM
My dad and I went through a bit of trouble to do as you describe. The aluminum RT is still in place as a wing on his TS but we never even got a router into it. He went with a Rockler table instead.

As you have already dialed in your fence and the table is reported as flat, I see no trouble in giving it a try. If after awhile you don't care for it, you can at least use it to build your new table and fence.

mickey cassiba
09-19-2009, 1:23 AM
Thanks guys. I was just wondering if the router motor(presently PC890 soon(i hope) to be replaced with a PC7518 I've been tinkering with) would cause any significant sag in the whole assembly. The saw cuts like a dream, and I'd hate to screw that up.
Since I'm a "newbie" at woodworking, I'm trying to cover all the possibilities. In my years at Delta I saw all kinds of combos com through the Recon shop. (Mostly failures that were sent in on the "90 day, No question" return policy. Now that I'm no longer with Delta I don't want to become one of the failures. Besides, All of my gear is built from warraty return parts. It's a one shot deal for me.
I've learned a lot, lurking around on the Creek.
Hope to put some of it into practice soon.
MC