PDA

View Full Version : My expensive, inexpensive trip

Stephen Walker
09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok here goes. I recently traveled to Oklahoma, from Indiana, to visit my uncle and cousins. Over all the trip was cheap, just the cost of fuel to get there and back. Now here's the expensive part, my uncle is a turner, and he initiated me while I was there. Ever since I got back, I've been looking for a lathe, with no success as of yet. I'm considering saving for a bit, and probably will buy new. I've looked at Jet 16-42's and am really kind of leaning that way, but have some questions. Since the headstock will rotate, or slide to the tail end, is it possible to use a remote tool rest to turn more than the 16" swing of the lathe? If so, where can they be found, Ive been surfing, and can't seem to locate anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.+

Jason Clark2
09-14-2009, 1:14 PM
Welcome to the vortex.

The Jet 1642's headstock will slide but does not rotate.

There are floor stands available, here's one from Powermatic (same oarent company as Jet)
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=6294732&Category_Code=lathes-acc-toolrst-pmtr

Jason

charlie knighton
09-14-2009, 1:22 PM
you my try from:

WMH Tool Group
2420 Vantage Drive
Elgin, Illinois 60123

they have locations around US

www.wmhloolgroup.com (http://www.wmhloolgroup.com)

800-274-6848

also on the web:

i have used WMH Tool Groug

7.Tool Nut (http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Westchester-Magazine/Westchester-Resources/Best-of-Westchester/index.php/alpha/T/category/Shopping/bestof/Best%2Bof%2BWestchester%2B2005/name/Tool-Nut/listing/15580/)

Yorktown Heights, NY
914-621-0200

correct me if i am wrong, i believe this is the place, i did not have this in my favorites, i have used the tool nut

Stephen Walker
09-14-2009, 1:23 PM
Thanks Jason

The stand will probably be a down the road purchase, just wanted to see if what I was thinking was a possibility.

Al Wasser
09-14-2009, 2:17 PM
Sucker!!! Take the cost of that new lathe and then double or triple it for the associated things you will want/need to go with it. Sure is fun though!! Some spend their $ of golf or whatever so you can enjoy a lathe

Brian Brown
09-14-2009, 3:08 PM
Looks like you got too close to the slippery edge of the vortex. :eek: Didn't your mother ever warn you about getting too close to the edge of a large hole? ;) Welcome in with the rest of us who got too close! By the way there is no escape. :)

If I remember correctly, the headstock of a 1642 will slide all the way to the end of the ways, and you can hang the spindle over the edge to turn larger diameter items. This is better than turning the headstock to the side, because the spindle remains aligned, a problem I am fighting right now. :( . If you do plan larger diameter stuff in the future, be sure to get the 2HP model now, because large diameter projects take more horsies. You may also consider a mini lathe now, so you can be honing your skills while you wait for the big boy. It is amazing what you can do on a mini lathe. In the future when you gat a larger lathe, the mini's usually hold their value well, and can be sold, or can be used for other tasks like buffing. What ever you choose to do, good luck.

ROY DICK
09-14-2009, 3:10 PM
This is what you "NEED".
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm3520brvu.html
With 18" extension of course. :D

Roy

Joshua Dinerstein
09-14-2009, 4:34 PM
Stephen,

I had a Jet 1642 and now have powermatic 3520b. I really liked them both. Before that I had a cheapy Harbor Freight lathe #34706. (I still have that lathe as it makes a great sanding station.) But turning on either of those "real lathes" was SOooOOooo!!! much better than on that original $169 lathe that it was like night and day. I would never ever want to go back.

So for a direct comparison of those 2 high end lathes.

The Jet is a little lighter than the Powermatic. There are 2 headstock bearings in the jet versus 3 in the PM. The controls are a bit different in layout but extremely similar. The PM is a 2HP motor that has more horse-power than the more common smaller Jet which is 1 1/2 HP 110v.

Ok so that covers the basics that most will tell you. But what does it really mean?

As far as the bearings to me personally so far? Nothing. In the end i believe more stability as you are cutting but again I have experienced no different personally.

The weight? The heavier the better. Less vibration, less chance of it walking across the shop, which I had happen once and it is NO FUN! But you can add more weight via sand-bags to either one of these 2 so between these two having a heavier lathe starting weight isn't much of an issue IMHO. Now between either of these and my 125lbs HF lathe? There is so much difference it defies explanation.

The controls, this is down to personal preference. I liked them both and never think twice about it really.

So what would I recommend personally? Honestly? It depends on a few things. I love that "feeling" when you know you own a truly fine piece of equipment. So I love love love my Powermatic 3520b. But it has a few down sides. The extra weight makes moving it more of a pain. The 220v only configuration makes running it more limited. I didn't get to set it up at my last house because no 220v was available and adding it became problematic as we were trying to sell the place. It costs a very pretty penny more. Again I love mine but in really thinking back about it... I think I would have acted differently.

The Jet 1642-EVS that I bought was a 110v lathe. I bought it to use and because my best friend wanted it but was in the middle of a move and couldn't get to it for way longer than it was going to last used in the local classifieds. So I bought it and used it while he finished moving and then sold it to him several months later when he was all settled in. I loved using it as well. The benefits in my mind? The 110v would plug in anywhere. Never had it trip my breaker. Being 110v it was easy to shift around to various locations in my shop, what some would call the garage, and dealing with powering it was never more complex than a good sized extension cord if necessary. It had plenty of power. Only 1 time did I ever bog it down. But that was learning experience. I had been on the higher speed belt setting and was running it at less than 150rpms and it just wasn't a good mode. I shifted down to the lower speed belt and never had a moments trouble afterward.

So I said above I might have gone a different way? Given a chance to do it all over again I thought I would have just gone for the Jet 110v version. Why? Because in my case I needed all new chucks, new tool rests, new hollowing rigs and other support equipment to get to try out all of the new features and the new size capabilities. Having spent every penny on the larger PM I find I am still scrimping and saving and trying to get all of those "needed extras" purchased for my shop. If I had gone with the jet for 1/2 the price I would have just bought them all at the time.

Would I sell my PM now to go back? No! But if it was a do-over I think I would do it differently.

Since you are just starting into the vortex you aren't worrying about existing chucks not working/fitting etc... So you have more of a freehand than I did at the time. But I just wanted to warn you of what I ran into. I am sure others have felt the same way.

To-date the lathe, even my most expensive one, isn't my largest purchase in the vortex. The first one I bought was $169 at HF and the chuck I bought to put on it was $179 PSI Barracuda2 from Amazon. The tools I bought were the $39 HF HSS set. Then more chucks followed and more tools and more wood and more tool rests and more... Keep in mind what else you need and pick from those 2 lathes the one that fits in the best. You won't regret either one of them.

Just my $0.02...

Joshua

Jeff Rich
09-14-2009, 7:19 PM
Welcome to the spiral!
I have a 1642 and can say after several different "cheap" lathes, it was a good investment.
I would go with the 2hp if you can afford it and I rarely turn anything over 16" in diameter.
A couple of bowls have been close but this lathehas been able to handle all of my turning jobs, so far. It is a steady slope of other tools and accessories, but worth it.

Toney Robertson
09-14-2009, 7:21 PM
Ok here goes. I recently traveled to Oklahoma, from Indiana, to visit my uncle and cousins. Over all the trip was cheap, just the cost of fuel to get there and back. Now here's the expensive part, my uncle is a turner, and he initiated me while I was there. Ever since I got back, I've been looking for a lathe, with no success as of yet. I'm considering saving for a bit, and probably will buy new. I've looked at Jet 16-42's and am really kind of leaning that way, but have some questions. Since the headstock will rotate, or slide to the tail end, is it possible to use a remote tool rest to turn more than the 16" swing of the lathe? If so, where can they be found, Ive been surfing, and can't seem to locate anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.+

Stephen,

Swayzee? The only Swayzee in the world? Isn't that what the sign says?

Can't help you on your lathe search but....

I live over north of Kokomo right off of 18 close to the metropolis of Galveston. You are more than welcome to stop by anytime and I can show you how NOT to do things.

Toney

Stephen Walker
09-14-2009, 8:25 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice that you've given. I'm hoping that by your descriptions, to try and make this a gentle entry into the "spiral", but, if it's like anything else I've started, it looks like the "death spiral" that is upcoming. I have managed to find a Jet mini at another site, w/ a small set (6 I believe) of tools for under $300. Going to try and snap it up tomorrow. I hesitated mentioning this, as I've been reading on here long enough to know that lathes don't seem to last long when advertised, and I'd hate to lose this to one of you. HA HA.
As much as I'd love to have a PM, based on the one I used in OK, the uncle also had a 14-42 I believe. I figure that the 16-42 would be an in-between and suit me fine. Besides, no sense in starting w/ a dream, and not having a goal to shoot for. I'm expecting a small bonus from work soon, hopefully I'll be able to hold it back from loml, and stash it away for a definite later purchase.
Thanks again for the advice, and keep it coming, so you can get me sucked all the way down to your level in the ever deepening hole that you've described.

Dick Sowa
09-14-2009, 8:51 PM
Good luck Stephen. I think you have gotten some good advice, and also have a positive attitude, which will serve you well.

If you really enjoy turning, you will tire quickly of the smaller lathe, and want to go bigger. If you go bigger, go for broke and get the PM...the last lathe you will probably ever want or need. Although the Jet 16-42 is probably just as good, and lots cheaper.

Don't forget, that top of the line machines will rarely depreciate. If you get a PM or the Jet, they will retain a lot of their value for years to come.

Michael Mills
09-14-2009, 9:14 PM
If you haven't already purchased one, the following will give you lots of info. http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html (http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html)
On the same site is this good info. http://www.nealaddy.org/node/39 (http://www.nealaddy.org/node/39)
Mike