PDA

View Full Version : Laser Buzz Product Stains

Peter Meacham
09-14-2009, 11:03 AM
For those of you that make the Laser Buzz wooden tribute items, what color stains do you use?

I think Tom originally suggested the Minwax Golden Oak and Early American spray stain for a contrasting color combination. Does anyone have some other color suggestions that you use? I find the Early American color to be a bit dark and it tends to hide some detail in the products.

Thanks

Bob Perdue
09-14-2009, 1:18 PM
I use golden pecan and golden oak

AL Ursich
09-14-2009, 4:24 PM
I use Golden Oak for 99% of what I do.... It's a great look.

AL

Phil Garcia
09-14-2009, 4:57 PM
Al, Golden Oak is also my favorite.

Peter Meacham
09-14-2009, 8:39 PM
Thanks for your inputs.

I tried a new method the other day on a couple of Laser Buzz wall tributes - before I put the items in the engraver, I sprayed the wood with clear poly - the idea was to reduce or eliminate some of the smoke residue and effects of vector cutting the wood. Using clear poly first worked well and I will use it for other products.

I am wondering now if I spray the wood with a color stain, say golden oak, before I engrave, will that have the same effect as using clear poly in reducing damage - and will it enhance the vector engraved designs as the laser burns through the stain.

I will give that method a try and advise (I have to find Minwax spray stain in a store first - Home Depot and two hardware chains don't carry spray cans of the stain in my area).

Thanks again.

Bob Perdue
09-15-2009, 4:54 PM
Minwax spray stain is available at Lowe's stores in this area.

Anthony Welch
09-15-2009, 8:49 PM
Peter, I believe you would still need to apply the poly over the stain so the smoke residue would wipe off. It would help cut down on some time, if you do a lot at one time.

Anthony

Peter Meacham
09-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys - my nearest Lowe's is 100 miles away - but I get there sometimes. And I will try the poly as a final coat too.
Thanks.

Tom Buzz Bernard
09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Had a customer try Golden Pecan on the outer ring and inner design, with Red Mahogany on the middle ring. The contrast was stunning. Stain darkness will only work on the 3D products, too dark for the 1D products. (my opinion) Said it increased his wholesale sales by 600%

Here is a comparison between using Golden Oak & Early American with Golden Pecan & Red Mahogany

James Rambo
09-16-2009, 7:39 PM
My local big box 's did not have the spray stain Buzz suggests either. I went to a local ACE hardware and asked about it and they ordered the two colors for me. The order took 2 or 3 days but I did not have to drive out of town for it. Now I stop and order it a couple days before I really need it.

Phil Garcia
09-16-2009, 8:19 PM
How about Wally World or TrueValue Hardware stores....I do not know if you have one in your area or not but it could be worth a call or two.

Tom Buzz Bernard
09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
How about Wally World or TrueValue Hardware stores

Wally World does carry the Golden Oak in the spray can in most areas. I always forget to tell people about Ace Hardware being able to get all colors. I am not sure about TrueValue.

Some have bought these rechargeable aerosol spray cans (has a nozzle to fill it with air) then they buy the stain anywhere in a can. I bought one, but have yet to test it out. I tend to wonder if it will stay clog free:confused: I bought it at either HD or Lowe's.

Peter Meacham
09-17-2009, 3:18 PM
All good inputs - I will try Wal*Mart and True Value (if I can find one). I live in the country - we have a Farm Supply Store...

Thanks