PDA

View Full Version : Set screws for Nova G3

Paul Ray Moore
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I purchased a Nova G3 from a fellow turner but I got only 4 of the screws to hold the jaws. I need to find 4 more to hold the 50mm jaws. The manual shows them as M6X6 c/sunk screws. My question is are those screws just generic screws or do I need to buy ones from a Nova chuck dealer?
If I have to buy Nova screws does anyone know where I can buy them?
Thanks,
Paul

Steve Mawson
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I have purchased screws that are identical at a hardware store. I usually take one along to match.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I would be careful about buying screws from just any store. They should be hardened, not just any grade. That being said, what store did you find it at? I'd like to have some spares. I'm sure evenually some of the screws will find thier way into my vacuum. You could always check your local dealer or Nova to get actual replacements.

Jim Johnstun
09-14-2009, 2:03 PM
Woodcraft sells a package with replacement screws and an allen wrench. Can't remember for sure but think there are 10 screws.

Steve Mawson
09-14-2009, 2:41 PM
I believe the ones I got were metric at Ace or True Value. The display has flat boxes that have 8-10 compartments in each flat. Several lengths and sizes in each box. These are machine screws that are hardened. They are a quality screw. Seems like they run around .49 cents ea, not real cheap but work well.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-14-2009, 3:07 PM
Thanks! Will check my local Ace..... I've looked in the BORG, no luck......

Paul Engle
09-14-2009, 3:07 PM
I also have a G3 , I got my extra's at True V. they are hardened and take the same size allen wrench , when installing and setting up your jaws for the first time use a touch of vaseline or copper coat to lube the screw with, they will not back out but makes it easier to get them loose in changing jaws.:D

Mike Peace
09-14-2009, 5:02 PM
Just about anyone selling Tecknatool chucks should have spares. CSUSA has them even if you can't find them in the catalog. I would be leery of generic screws with heads that do not exactly match the bevel of the original. IF not I would pass on them. Yeah, you may have to pay shipping but that just gives you an excuse to buy some more stuff!

Darryl Hansen
09-14-2009, 5:12 PM
tecknatool.com (Nova) sells replacement packages.

Ryan Baker
09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Woodcraft sells them for less than $10 for the full set. Anybody selling Teknatool stuff should carry them. Get some spares too for those times when you lose them in the middle of a project.