PDA

View Full Version : Wilton lathe

Mike Evertsen
09-15-2004, 7:39 AM
I looking at getting a small lathe. has anyone tried the wilton mini?

Standard Equipment:

Powerful 2.3 amp motor

Variable speed from 750 to 3200 rpm

Cast Iron base, headstock and tailstock

Adjustable tailstock holds work pieces up to 12" long

8" diameter turning capicity over lathe bed

Wide tool rest

Narrow tool rest

Small 2" face plate

Large 5 1/4" face plate

Headstock Spur Center Morse #1Taper

Tailstock Live Center

Tooling knockout and wrench

3 Year Warranty Weight 43 Lbs.

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 8:46 AM
Hard to say much, Mike...it's a new item and they have diddly-squat information about the tool on the web site. One would hope it has the same quality as it's cousin, but perhaps picking the venerable Jet Mini might be a safer investment until this new machine has some "experience" in the market.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Hard to say much, Mike...it's a new item and they have diddly-squat information about the tool on the web site. One would hope it has the same quality as it's cousin, but perhaps picking the venerable Jet Mini might be a safer investment until this new machine has some "experience" in the market.

Evenin" guys. As you may have noticed, I am doing turning demonstrations to get donations for the Freedom Pen Program. I was taking my Jet Mini, but it is heavier than I wanted to have to horse around, so I was looking for something to take "on the road". I tried Jets "Pen" lathe, - my opinion- Too light weight all the way around. I am a little heavy handed when turning and had NO PROBLEM stopping it! Also, the handles were made for Light duty - Not my BIG hands.

Then I saw an ad at Menards for the Wilton. I went to see it. At that time they were selling it for $89.00. Not as good as my Jet (my opinion again), but head and shoulders above the "Pen" lathe. I liked the variable speed, too. I have used it at two demonstrations, turning pens and other small items. The only thing I found lacking was a hand wheel on the outboard side. I took care of this with a Lefthand Threaded 3/4X16tip Nut. I don't use it to slow down the lathe, just something to hold the drive side still when I want to. I believe that it was well worth the money, however, Menards put it on sale for $84.00. I went back and received a credit for $5.00 + tax. Not bad! Now for a GLOAT. The next Sunday, they reduced the price again to $79.00 with an instore rebate of $10.00, making the end price $69.00.

For small work at this price, you can't go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Just one OLD man's opinion."

Bruce ;)

James Carmichael
09-16-2004, 6:06 AM
Mike,

I was looking at the Wilton, too. Unfortunately, we don't have any Menards down here in TX.

I'm awfully curious, though, about the Fisch Mini. A local mom & pop tool store has a couple for $199 with a bed extension that takes it up to 39". Does anyone have this lathe or know anything about it?

Jim Becker
09-16-2004, 7:38 AM
I'm awfully curious, though, about the Fisch Mini. A local mom & pop tool store has a couple for $199 with a bed extension that takes it up to 39". Does anyone have this lathe or know anything about it?
The Fisch has been around for awhile and is a "not too bad" machine. Basically very similar to the non-VS Jet. Of course, ya gotta like blue! If the $199 includes the bed extension, that's a very good price.

James Carmichael
09-16-2004, 9:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Jim. Yes, that does include the bed extension. Guess I could paint it, either grey to match my Ridgid tools or Makita blue.

Ken,

I'm a bit confused as to how my earlier reply in this thread violated TOS. The link was not in a signature line (unless the forum has a default, I don't even have a signature), to another forum, or to an Ecommerce site. It was a link to the manufacturer's web site of the product being discussed, for informational purposes only.

Doug Jones
09-16-2004, 6:07 PM
I use to have it (had three lathes and got rid of the smallest one). For pens its great,,, but for anything else I'd go up to the Jet or Delta