PDA

View Full Version : Wall Clock

Jay MacDougall
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Here's a clock I recently completed for my mother-in-law. Built of African Mahogany, it was my first time turning finials. I made the clock face as well, maple burl, mottled aspen and dyed black veneers, the "H" in the center is the first letter of her last name (not sure I like it, my wife's idea). Used a plan from Murray clock with a few changes.

Let me know what you guys think.

Paul Saffold
09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Very nice, Jay. What kind of movement does it have?

John Keeton
09-14-2009, 6:33 AM
Jay, that is some very nice work! I particularly like the face, although I would have to agree with you on the "H." But, notwithstanding, you did a great job on this project. I have never worked with sapele, but others say that it is a pain to use. You have obtained very good results in this project. Good design, and the color is very nice.

ROY DICK
09-14-2009, 7:17 AM
Jay,
Nicely done, and very good on the 1st time finials.

Roy

Jerome Hanby
09-14-2009, 8:14 AM
Good grief! I can't imagine how fine the clock would look if you liked her more!

Great job! Think I'm going to go hang sheets over the clocks I've tried to build.

And if those are your first shot at finials, I'd say you have them down!

John Thompson
09-14-2009, 8:44 AM
Nice job and it looks really good Jay. I can't comment on the turning as I am clueless in that arena. I personally like the H from her last name. If this were intended for a museum then no... but the H kind of catapults it toward becoming a Hoover family heir-loom. Kind of like a cheese pizza.. adding a little Italian sausage and mushroom gives it some pi-zazz. :)

Excellent job...

Jay MacDougall
09-14-2009, 6:50 PM
Thanks everyone, my FIL was by today and gave it a big thumbs up, also liked the "H", guess I'm just more traditional. It will stay on the wall in our dining room until my MIL comes in a month or so.

Paul it's just a quartz movement, I have a fancy Hermle movement but the instructions are awful and I can't figure out how to install it.