PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl on New Lathe

Steve Mawson
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Cedar that I picked up with some club members about 6 weeks ago. It had some voids so decided to leave them. About 9x4. Deft Gloss Lacquer.

Question: Can I buff out the fish scales with the three wheel system?

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Very nice bowl Steve! Really like the carving! I haven't used lacquer on anything bigger than bottle stoppers - so have no idea if buffing will remove fish scale but it would be worth a try.

alex carey
09-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice looking bowl, like the natural part you got going on there.

Jeff Nicol
09-14-2009, 6:34 AM
Steve, When I use lacquer I use many light coats and sand with 320-600 grit depending on the wood and how many imperfections may be in the wood and finish. When I get to the last coat then it is pretty smooth. After a week or so of good curing them I will buff them out, if you go to quick the lacquer will burn or gum up real easy if you put to much pressure in one spot. But before I start the buffing I will take some 0000 steel wool and cut back the finish with that first, blow off the bowl and then go through the wheels. If the wood if porous and/or dark I skip the white diamond as it will get in the pores and stick out like a sore thumb! I am sure you already have heard that one! But just take care to keep the bowl moving and use a gentle pressure and you will see when it comes to a nice shine!

Good luck and have fun,

Jeff

ROY DICK
09-14-2009, 7:14 AM
Steve,

I really like that one nice turning.
I would love to get my grubby little hands on some cedar, so I will start looking to see where I can find some.
I have yet to use that finish, and I have no idea what fish scale means.

Roy

Ken Glass
09-14-2009, 9:32 AM
Steve,
Very nice bowl, with lots of character. Looks like the new lathe is working out just fine. Jeff covered it all about the finish. If you have any blow ups and broken bowls, or off fall form sawing a blank, you can practice finishes on them and see what really works for you the best. As Jeff said many light coats work best with Lacquer, as each coat burns into the previous one. You can always sand between coats also.

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2009, 2:06 PM
Great looking bowl and lot of character. Well done.

Paul Engle
09-14-2009, 3:18 PM
Steve, Dats the one , very nice indeed, that red cedar is very pronounced and you make it look even more so .:D