PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestions??

Brent Leonard
09-13-2009, 9:20 PM
I feel quite confortable with my technique and craftsmanship in woodworking. Technique books are not what I want, nor do I want a book of plans of projects.

It's my "design" or, more importantly the art form of furniture that I want to build my skill at. Everyone says my designs are excellent, but at times I feel that my design just doesn't have that "magic".

A close relative who is a professional artist (New York gallery stuff), tells me that artists go through the same thing. Everyone else thinks it's wonderful, but to the artist, it may be missing that magic. He tells me that YOU KNOW when your piece has it, but it doesn't come with everything you do.

I know that art form is a journey, not something you can read about and know, but
any good books that discuss the "form & flow" of furniture?

mike holden
09-14-2009, 8:39 AM
Brent,
Get the LN dvd from George Walker. He discusses form and proportion and finishes by drawing both a period piece and a modern piece using the same proportions.
George will be doing a series of articles for Popww soon, so watch for those.

There are many design books out there for architects - keep in mind that architects were the primary designers of furniture for many years - Breuer, the bauhaus movement, etc.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
09-14-2009, 7:43 PM
Pick up a book dealing with Phi. There are several on in print.

Wayne Sparkman
09-14-2009, 7:45 PM
You might try picking up either of Krenov's first two books.
Never bought the third, so can't speak to that one.