PDA

View Full Version : 13" Planer Problem - Electrical

tim walker
09-13-2009, 8:34 PM
Was using planer all morning, no issues. Went to jointer to do some work. Came back to planer and absolutely not even a grunt from it. Checked electrical source and all OK there. Plugged directly to wall outlet, nothing.

Is there a chance the switch has gone bad or do you think there is a motor problem? I have not noticed any unusual smells or anything.

Thanks all,

PS Unit is about 6-7 years old and is used maybe several hours every month

Myk Rian
09-13-2009, 8:59 PM
My first guesses would be either the switch, or motor brushes. Can you disconnect the motor and see if there is voltage there?

Tom Veatch
09-13-2009, 9:05 PM
Break out the voltmeter and find out where the voltage stops. If it's a circuit problem, the culprit will be just upstream of that point. Probably an induction motor so not likely to be a brushes problem.

Dale Coons
09-13-2009, 9:38 PM
I have a delta benchtop planer. Same problem--sending wood thru, turned it off and it wouldn't turn back on. Wiggled the safety switch around, tried again and it wouldn't work. Wound up taking the planer apat enuf to get the switch out thinking it needed replacing, but found sawdust inside the switch. Gently opened, blew out the dust, worked fine again.:)

tim walker
09-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Up and running again. I removed the brushes, looked a them and just wiped off, replaced and running again. Whew, could see another $300 out the window.. Thanks all