PDA

View Full Version : I Have A New Job!

David Freed
09-13-2009, 7:33 PM
I start tomorrow. I was at my old job for almost a year and have been looking for something better ever since. They say that starting a new job is one of the most stressful things that you will do in your life. My old job was so bad though, I am more relieved than stressed. Drastically better work environment and almost double the pay of my old job. Closer to home too.

glenn bradley
09-13-2009, 7:37 PM
Congrats. That's great news.

James Jaragosky
09-13-2009, 7:46 PM
Congrats. That's great news.
You have been Blessed, Don't forget to give thanks.
Glad to hear you are happy.

Bruce Page
09-13-2009, 7:49 PM
Better work environment, double the pay, and closer to home. What’s not to like about that!
Congrats and good luck!

Jacob Mac
09-13-2009, 8:04 PM
Better work environment, double the pay, and closer to home. What’s not to like about that!
Congrats and good luck!

Agreed. That sounds like a win. Congratulations!

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2009, 8:22 PM
Congrats David! Sounds like a huge improvement!

Ron Jones near Indy
09-13-2009, 8:47 PM
Congrats David! Seems like things are looking up!

Chris Kennedy
09-13-2009, 9:17 PM
Going on to the job market is ridiculously stressful. You question if it is worth the anxiety, and then you question your own self-worth, you see others that must be more qualified than you . . . .

And then you get the new job with a group of people who respect you and admire what you can do. And they reward you accordingly.

And then, all is right with the world.

And all the complications, anxiety at the old job makes you want to say: " ******** " (I can't fill that in because it would make a sailor blush.)

Having been there not too long ago, . . . Congratulations. Enjoy. You deserve it.

Cheers,

Chris

Mike Henderson
09-13-2009, 9:33 PM
Congratulations! It's good to hear some positive employment news.

Mike

Craig Summers
09-13-2009, 9:43 PM
Congratulations on the move up.

I was in that scenario a couple years ago. It truly is is a blessing from God when that happens.

Never forget, a JOB means Just Over Broke.
:rolleyes:

sean m. titmas
09-13-2009, 9:53 PM
David,

what type of work were you doing at your old job and what will you be doing at the new one?

is starting a new job like starting a new school year where you go out and buy a new shirt and pack a special lunch?

David Freed
09-14-2009, 3:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I was getting pretty down about our situation. Most of my life I would dig in and work hard when things got tough and that would bring us through. The last couple of years it seemed like it didn't matter how hard I tried, our situation kept getting worse. Not only did working hard at my old job not gain anything, it actually just made more work for me, which meant getting cussed at more.

David,

what type of work were you doing at your old job and what will you be doing at the new one?

is starting a new job like starting a new school year where you go out and buy a new shirt and pack a special lunch?

I was self employed for 14 years. Four years ago I borrowed a lot of money to start a second business in woodworking. To make a long story short, the woodworking business sunk me. If I hadn't started it I would still be self employed.

When it got to the point that my income was 1/2 to 1/3 of my expenses and I had borrowed from everywhere I could to keep going in hopes that things would turn around, I took the only job I could find working on a farm. That in itself didn't bother me too much because I have a lot of farming in my background. What did bother me was the guy I went to work for was a real jerk. That is stating it mildly. I can't say what I really think. Also I was making less in one week than I used to in a bad day when I was self employed; half as much as a good day. I literally don't have the money to buy new clothes. My wife has been keeping my old ones patched together. I still don't know all the details, but I think they supply uniforms at my new job. As far as lunch goes it will still have to be bologna or turkey sandwiches for a while.

At the job I am going to I will be loading trucks with building materials and making short haul deliveries (up to 400 miles). I know several people that work there and I have had a charge account with them for a few years.

Never forget, a JOB means Just Over Broke.
:rolleyes:

I will be making almost twice as much as before, but I wasn't even holding my own at the other job. The income at this job will literally keep me just over broke as Craig said. Most weeks for the last several months I would keep just enough cash from my paycheck to buy enough gas to go to work and we are late on many of our basic household bills. I have been trying to come up with enough money to declare bankruptcy for several months because even with this new job, we will never be able to pay our business debts. We have been given notice that we are going to be sued and the lawyer we talked to said that by state law the judge will take 1/4 of your paycheck. We can't afford that. Even though I need to declare bankruptcy, I am still intending to get all my local debts paid. If things go well it will still take a while just to do that.

I haven't eaten in a restaurant for several months; not even fast food. Maybe in a month or so we can get caught up and I can take my wife out for dinner at a local buffet that she likes. They have good food and even with a tip it's less than $20. I can't get too extravegant because our house needs a new roof as soon as possible. I hope I can get an employee discount for the materials.

Sorry for the long strung out sob story. I do know that a lot of people are in worse shape than us.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-14-2009, 9:51 AM
Keep up the optimism David, it will get better! I was sunk by a business venture that was ruined by a unethical relative not long ago. The lessons learned it that sort of thing are not forgetable, and have proven to be valuable in the next things that came up.

One thing that may help, is to see if you can find some legal help. A lawyer may be able to help get your creditors to play nice. Good luck, and glad to hear it's getting better!

David Freed
09-16-2009, 3:55 AM
I hope I can get an employee discount for the materials.

15% discount on anything I buy or rent where I work!!! That will help a lot on the cost of my house roof. :D