PDA

View Full Version : Who prefinishs faceframes before applying to box?

Tim Reagan
09-13-2009, 2:51 PM
I'm about to install ff to my prefinished maple ply boxes for the kitchen. On the boxes that attach to each other I plan to prefinish the ff, so not have to mask off all the interiors. My ff will be flush on the inside of the box, except where it is a finished end. the finished ends I think I will have to mask and finish after attaching. I plan to spray. Any unforeseen problems here?
tim

Matt Meiser
09-13-2009, 4:03 PM
First, I'm no pro an ddon't have extensive experience. But I've done it both ways.

On a vanity, no big deal because it was one piece, not much masking and I was able to attache the side panel and flush trim it to get a nice transition. Masking probably took 10 minutes tops.

On a kitchen with 19 boxes, no way I could manage that much stuff in the shop not to mention the hours of masking so I prefinished. Except the island with has four sides that need finishing. That I'll mask and spray as one.

Jeff Wright
09-13-2009, 4:58 PM
I prefer prefinishing the face frames prior to attaching to the carcasses. I most often use the Sommerfeld offset mortise and tenon method to attach my carcasses to the frames. I highly recommend his system. Helps insure perfect alignment and strong attachment.

Tim Reagan
09-13-2009, 5:33 PM
Thanks. Matt, I've been following your posts on the kitchen, as mine is similar. How did you do exposed sides? Did all have applied panels?

Matt Meiser
09-13-2009, 7:45 PM
Yes, we are going to have trim panels on all exposed ends.

Jay Brewer
09-13-2009, 8:51 PM
I build and pre finish everything( FF,doors, mouldings) before even starting on the boxes. Boxes are built last, FF installed and they go on the trailer.

I attach the FF's with pocket screws covered with skins or RP Finshed ends. No nail holes to have to putty.

I have done it both ways, and will never waste all that time masking and lugging around those heavy boxes again. JMO.

Jim Becker
09-13-2009, 9:09 PM
I did for all my built-ins for our addition last year. And I don't attach them until the carcasses are hung/installed. I apply the FF using glue while a few biscuits along the top edge to hold them up until I can use my pinner to "clamp" them in place for the glue to dry. Obviously, all the final fitting and scribing gets done before the glue and pinner come out to play.

Darrell Bade
09-14-2009, 7:43 AM
When I built my kitchen cabinets I put the face frame on them before finishing but I did not use any prefinished ply. My wife who was finishing them grumbled a little. The last couple of cabinets she got to the face frames first and stained them before I attached. It was fine for the ones that I pocketholed into place. However one angled cabinet had glue and bisquits only and the glue did not stick with the stain on it. I ended up sanding that one and attaching and she had to stain it then. Guess it depends on what type of glue you use, but Elmers Woodglue did not stick to the stained wood.