PDA

View Full Version : Warped Table Top

Marco Cecala
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I have built a mdf top trimmed with 2.5 inch wide QSWO. The section is 36" wide and 24" long. It is 1" thick and veneered both sides. The other sections are fine. The top has an 1/8" bow in the center making a lip when the table is closed.

I clamped the bow in the opposite direction overnight, but the bow still remains.

I build tops this way to avoid this problem, does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to leave the top clamped longer? Thanks for the help.

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Is the veneer laid up directly on the MDF or is there a crossbanding layer? Are both sides treated in the same manner or are you only veneering the top?

Jamie Buxton
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
That is one fine-looking table top.

My guess is that the MDF was not flat before the veneer was glued on. Either it came to you non-flat, or it somehow got twisted in the veneering process.

A possible fix would be table leaf pins. They can help to tweak the leaf flat as you close the top. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=787&filter=table%20pins

Marco Cecala
09-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

The veneer was flat when cut and banded. All I can think of is the oak picture framed edge warped in the process. I leave these alone for some time to make sure they are going to stay flat. This one just managed to change its mind after veneering. The marquetry and banding are applied directly to the mdf, I used maple backer.

I have table pins to line the top up. They try to pull it down. but the table is a butterfly leaf, so the top needs to glide well when the pins disconnect.