PDA

View Full Version : Juried In

Bill Grumbine
09-14-2004, 9:47 PM
Good evening all

I have just returned from my first formal jurying process, and I am now officially a juried member of the PA Guild of Craftsmen. I have been involved in several show juries in the past, some of which I think juried my wallet for the entry fee more than anything, but this is my first with no immediate result other than a piece of paper I can hang on the wall. I am only juried in the local chapter, and only in turning. If I want to be juried state wide or for furniture, that is another process altogether.

Not only did I get into the guild, but I am pretty sure I landed a commission to build a blanket chest for another artist who wants to paint it for her son who is getting married in the spring. Now that is some real business!

Bill

Mark Stutz
09-14-2004, 9:50 PM
Congratulations, Bill. I had no doubt this would be the outcome when we were talking a couple of weeks ago. Your work is just too good! Again, congratulations!!

Jim Becker
09-14-2004, 9:54 PM
A hearty congratulations to you Bill!!! 'Sounds like an interesting process, too.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-14-2004, 9:55 PM
Congratulations Bill! That is quite an honor, and well deserved. I am sure the PA Guild of Craftsman just moved up a notch with you as a member! :)
Those folks must know quality turning and a quality person when they see one. FANTASTIC! (Does that mean the price of turning lessons just increased?) :D ;)

thomas prevost
09-14-2004, 9:56 PM
congrats Bill!!:) Making some of the rest of us drool

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 9:59 PM
Congrats Bill !!:)

BTW hows the DVD thing going?
Jim

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Bill,
Thats great! Congradulations!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Congrats Bill!

Wes Bischel
09-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Congrats Bill. From what I've seen of your work the jurors had an easy decision to make.

I have a friend that was juried a few years ago. He does work with gourds - beautiful work I might add - so you are in good company.

Wes

Brad Schmid
09-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Bravo Bill! Earned and deserved.

Brad

Cecil Arnold
09-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Well done Bill, a movie star and now this. Congratulations.

John Miliunas
09-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Good grief! Too much more of this and he's going to charge extra $$ for the autograph on those DVD's we have coming! :eek: :) That's GREAT news Bill! You are truly deserving, as your creations are exceptional! Keep us posted! :cool:

Waymon Campbell
09-15-2004, 7:30 AM
Congrats Bill - Couldn't have happened to a nicer, more talented guy :) !

Syd Lorandeau
09-15-2004, 9:00 AM
Hi Bill,
Way to go!!! I guess I should be happy to live in NH and not PA they have to be some tough group. I just received the latest journal of American Association of Woodturnersand there on page 56 is a picture of your work.. I feel good just reading it, to have some work published, W_O_W!!!
Syd

Bob Hovde
09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Congratulations, Bill. Peer recognition is what we strive for. Those of us who have seen your work here on the Creek already knew you did great work.

Bob

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 10:58 AM
I don't understand this "jurying" thing. Could someone explain it in real simple terms so that even a guy from Colorado living in California can understand it? :D

George Summers
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Bill -

Good show. I'm sure it will pay in time.

Chris -

Juried is basically "You can't play with us unless we approve". The guild (or club or whatever the group is called) has to approve you and your work before you are allowed to participate in their shows.

George

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-15-2004, 1:49 PM
Congratulations Bill, that is a great accomplishment.

Roger

Bill Grumbine
09-15-2004, 3:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I was speaking with a lady last night who was very apprehensive about her own work, and I asked her if she sold it. She said yes. Then I asked if people bought it. Looking a little puzzled, she answered yes again. Then I said, "If you are putting your work up for sale and people are buying it, that is your ultimate jury, regardless of what these people say about your work tonight." She liked that idea.

Chris, as George says, the jurying process is one that recognizes my work as being at a certain level, as judged not by other woodworkers (although some were there) but be craftspeople across various disciplines. In essence it opens the door to some more and different shows, offers a bit of prestige to put on the wall of my booth or shop, depending on where I am hawking my wares.

Jim, the rough edit for the DVD is done, and we are waiting with worms in our mouths (bated breath) for the video company to call us down for the final cut. Hopefully it is coming soon.

Bill

Jack Hogoboom
09-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Bill,

I NEED that DVD. I've managed to forget just about everything you taught me.

Jack

Alan Tolchinsky
09-15-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm not surprised you accomplished this honor.

Martin Shupe
09-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Was there any doubt? If they had not taken you, I would have been shocked. ;)

Let us know when we can order the DVD, and when you are going to start the second DVD where you show how to turn table legs (Shaker style, of course) and knobs! I, too, have sadly forgotten much of your excellent instructional wisdom.

Congrats again.

Terry Hatfield
09-16-2004, 12:24 AM
Congrats Bill!!!!!

t

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 5:38 PM
Well, shoot, Bill, now that I know what it is, very cool and congrats! Soon you'll need to turn yourself a trophy rack, eh? Maybe turn your own trophies??? :D