PDA

View Full Version : Black Granite and Home Depot ????

Randy Digby
09-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I know, I must be dreaming stuff up agian, but I'm sure I've read several posts here where you folks purchased black granite from HD, and I was thinking I saw some pics of some 4" x 4" engravings. So I go to my local HD and they have some black in 12" x 12" tiles but say they never have had it in 4". So I go to Lowes...same story. I know that several of the laser material supply house have material available but I wanted some cheap stuff to learn on and I do not want to purchase a wet saw. Have you been able to find 4" tiles at you local building supply?

Edit: Maybe I'm looking for marble instead. Anyway, basic questions is: Have you found black marble or granite in a typical home improvement store in a 4" x 4" tile?

Darius Ferlas
09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't have the slightest idea about engraving, but if it's just to learn the process then what would the problem be if you got a 12" tile and did a series of 4" engravings on that? You'd have 9 squares, and if they come out well you could then consider getting a tile saw to isolate them.

Linda Kroeker
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
I have purchased 12 x 12" granite from home depot and they have cut it into 6 x 6" pieces for me...just that all edges won't be beveled like the 12x12" is.

Dan Hintz
09-13-2009, 7:29 AM
I have purchased 12 x 12" granite from home depot and they have cut it into 6 x 6" pieces for me...just that all edges won't be beveled like the 12x12" is.
That's what I do with the large tiles, but then I also use my hand-ROS for 30 seconds on each tile to get the beveled edge back.

John Lewandowski
09-13-2009, 1:26 PM
I got the same 12 x 12 as Linda at HD. In the past I bought 3 3/4 x 3 3/4 at the tile store in town. Tile store is much more expensive and they typically will not break a case package.

Phil Garcia
09-13-2009, 4:54 PM
I have only been able to get 12"x12" black granite or marble at HD. The 4"x4" is the porcelain black glossy tile which I use for my wedding packages which include bride & groom glasses, wine bottle, 4"x4" black porcelain tile, laser engraved ribbon for the bride's garter and bouquet and 3 gifts for bridesmaids and groomsmen.