PDA

View Full Version : Shaper jig photos?

Rick Fisher
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
If anyone has any photo's of their jigs for the shaper, I am looking for ideas..

I want to build something that I can clamp a pattern into, and then the workpeice above.. It will be for Aprons, Table legs and similar.

I have a drawer full of DeStaco clamps, big and small, that I got at an auction.. A 2" Bearing and 2" straight cut bit..

Any suggestions or photos are appreciated..

Mike Heidrick
09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Shaper Handbook - Roger Cliffee
http://www.amazon.com/SHAPER-HANDBOOK-By-Roger-Cliffe/dp/B000UQARYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1252809579&sr=1-1

The Shaper Book - Lonnie Bird
http://www.amazon.com/SHAPER-BOOK-Lonnie-Bird/dp/B000UQ6XYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1252809572&sr=1-1

Both excellent books with great jig ideas.

Jay Brewer
09-13-2009, 9:16 AM
Hi Rick, If I was going to build a universal jig, I would model it after the manual Weaver Crown rail jig. Use some type of T track for the clamps so they can be easily moved. I usually just screw the template back of the piece. Now I will be thinking about this all day

I would also look into a different cutter for this type of work. I haven't had good luck with straight cutters and template work. They like to tear out coming out of arches. I now use a 2" tall spiral carbide insert cutter that does a good job. I keep it mounted on a spindle with a rub bearing on top and bottom. Hope this helps

Russ Massery
09-13-2009, 9:33 AM
Mike's reply with either book is a good start. I have both books and both are good in there own way. Here's a couple of pictures from a jig I make for forming chair backs a made awhile ago.

Rick Fisher
09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks very much for that..

I will look into a spiral cutter.. I have had a straight cutter sitting in a drawer for a couple years.. lol..

Those pictures are very helpful. 2 clamps? I would have thought more would have been needed.. I bought about 50 of these clamps at an auction for .... $50 ..

The support, other than clamps is what I was wondering about..