PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly router bits

Casey Mabry
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Just needing some opinions from those who've used them, or can suggest an equally priced equivalent. Some bits I may use sparingly so I don't see the need in buying top dollar bits. Thanx for any advice.:)

jerry nazard
09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I bought a set several years ago at a clearance price. My intent was to treat them as "throw-away" bits and replace them as necessary. They still cut just fine and I have had no need to purchase replacements.

Like so many things from Grizzly, you get a good value for your buck.

Dave Lehnert
09-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I have used router bits from http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/
Good bits at a good price. They offer free shipping so you can pick up just one bit as you need them.

Jim Crockett
09-13-2009, 12:05 AM
I second MLCS - I have bought a lot of router bits from them, both their standard bits and their better quality Katana bits (compare with Freud/Amana). Good quality and superb customer service. I broke a 1/8" inch straight bit cutting hickory (actually I ended up breaking two) and sent them an email asking if they had any suggestions/recommendations that would keep from breaking the bit. They replaced the bit even though I readily acknowledged it was my fault and that I had already ordered a replacement. Good thing since the replacement ended up getting broken, too. Boy, hickory is some hard stuff!!! I've sent them several emails asking questions about their products or techniques and have always had a friendly, complete answer within a couple of hours. Wish I lived near their store - actually, maybe it's a good thing I don't!!

Jim

Thomas Pender
09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I have had decent luck with Grizzly bits, although I acknowledge my Frued, Whiteside, and Amana bits work slightly better. Any bit will get dull after a certain amount of feet of cutting - tend to get less vibration with Amana and Freud.

I do note that Grizzly's multi bit boxes are neat - their progressive roundover and plywood straight bits are very handy, as is their rabbeting selection.

For more complex bits, I tend to go with Amana or Freud. However, I will buy bits from everyone - Eagle, MLCS, LV, etc. Have gotten some real bargains.

Casey Mabry
09-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanx for the feedback, and the tip on MCLS I didn't know they existed, it looks like you get a great deal if you buy sets vs individual bits even though the individual are not bad priced.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-14-2009, 9:37 AM
I also use MLCS bits in addition to other brands like Freud, Eagle America, Dewalt and Bosch. They work very well. Good value, good selection, and fast service.

As far as buying bit sets, many folks claim that they don't have a use for several of the bits offered in a set. However, I find the price per bit to be so low that I enjoy having odd bits on hand since I never know were a project may take me.

-Jeff :)