PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Pods- maybe a dumb question

Michael Armstrong
09-12-2009, 1:06 PM
I've attached a photo of some banksia pod hummingbird feeders that I have turned. My question is - now that I have turned away some of the natural outer 'shell' of the pod, do I need to add some kind of finish to protect it? Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Michael

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-12-2009, 1:56 PM
Michael, the choice is yours. I think with this type of outdoor feeder, I'd leave them be and let them naturally weather - that might be more "bird friendly".

Michael Armstrong
09-12-2009, 2:44 PM
Thanks, Malcolm. That would be my preference but I want to make sure that whoever buys them doesn't come back in a year and tell me that they have self-destructed.

Michael

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2009, 5:52 PM
Michael - nice work and a really cool idea! I agree with Malcolm to let the pieces weather naturally. I suppose if you were real concerned about the effects of weathering you could put some sort of a clear protectorate on them - like used on decks to protect against the effects of UV and moisture. Personally, I'd advocate the all natural materials and leave it at that.

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2009, 6:49 PM
Great looking feeders. I would leave them natural.

Michael Armstrong
09-12-2009, 7:51 PM
Thanks Steve & Bernie. Looks like it is 4-0 for the natural.

Michael

Mark P. Brown
09-14-2009, 8:46 PM
To seal them I think soak in Minwax wood hardner a few days then let dry then assemble the holes around the outsid could then be used in winter to hold suet feed for the other birds.
Mark

Michael Armstrong
09-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Mark:
Unfortunately no one sells Minwax wood hardener around here. Home Depot used to but they don't anymore. I tried another major retailer and it is no longer available from their warehouse.

I guess I'm just going to go with the unfinished natural option for now.

Michael

Kyle Iwamoto
09-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice!

I'd go natural. And let your customers know that since it's made of wood, the natural process will proceed, and eventually it will become a pile of dust...... I think most people can/will accept that. I understand your concern about keeping ALL of your customers happy....... It is really hard.

Michael Mills
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree with the others however, if I were selling them I could coat the pods with anchor seal just to bring out the contrast. I use the Woodcraft version of anchor seal and have used it on a birdhouse. Wipe it off after about and hour and it should not feel sticky to the touch, will be clear, enhance the color, and still give a few years of protection.
Mike