PDA

View Full Version : Not really turned... but...

andy Needles
09-12-2009, 11:44 AM
I do LOTS of these platters, shaping them freehand, with inlay, I love to use resin, and crushed stone, abalone, shells, etc. I feel an affinity to turners, as I use the same techniuqes and materials, just without spinning the wood:D

Ted Calver
09-12-2009, 1:07 PM
Andy,
I think those are pretty cool!! Can you show us how you do the bottoms?

Jim Underwood
09-12-2009, 3:10 PM
Nice plate/platter/bowl thingies!

You definitely need to take up turning if you're going to do that kind of stuff.... well. Even if you're not......

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2009, 5:47 PM
Andy - very interesting work! Would be interested in knowing how you created these pieces!

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2009, 6:48 PM
Very nice pieces Andy. Pictures from different angles and the bottoms would be interested in seeing.

Mike Minto
09-12-2009, 7:31 PM
andy, VERY cool work - imagine what you could do with a lathe! :D Mike

andy Needles
09-13-2009, 12:14 AM
These are platters 1-2 inches thick. I have a curved shoe planer- a mikita, and a rough them out, then I use hard resin pads for the secondary shaping with an angle grinder. Then I add the resin/rock/abalone, and work it flat with an RO sander. On the back side, I put a bit of a bevel on it with a regular 3 1/4 power planer, and use the same process. Im always on the lookout for material I can stick into the platter. The latest is bits of silver solder in rolls or in melted gobs, and crushed abalone shell with resin.

Richard Madison
09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice work Andy. Would be a lot easier with a LATHE. But probably a lot more expensive with a lathe.