PDA

View Full Version : 1st Tool Gloat

Jason Strauss
09-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I’ve had my eye on a new jointer; in particular, the Ridgid 6 1/8” model. If you’ve been watching the Deals and Discounts area of the Creek, you know that this model is being liquidated by HD in various parts of the country for around $200, or 50% off the normal ~$400 price. Unfortunately, none of the HD’s in my part of the world would do the deal.

Well, this Wednesday, I stumbled upon one of these beauties on Craig’s List. The guy was asking $200 for his year old model. He lives in the city and is moving to a smaller place w/out a garage and cannot keep up with the hobby. I work in downtown Chicago, but live in Indiana. Normally, I commute via rail. On this particular day, however, I happen to be taking a company vehicle home from the office for a road trip the next morning - devine providence. So, after work I went over to inspect the jointer – it was in great shape. The seller was disappointed to have to unload his tool collection, but happy to be selling to a fellow hobbyist who could get good use out of the tool. To my surprise, this guy began offering to give me other items from his shop as he just had no need for them anymore. 15 minutes later, and $220 poorer, I left his garage with the jointer and the items listed below. I ended up giving him the extra $20 because he was so generous!

- Craftsman mobile tool base - $50
- Grip Tite Magnet - $40
- TS taper jig - $20
- Two 2’x2’ sheets of walnut veneer - $40
- Two full boxes of full sheet sand paper - $?
- Four 12” clamps - $cheap
- 3 BF of beautiful ash - $?

I estimate that this totals well over $500 worth of stuff, including the jointer. I’ll sell my Delta benchtop jointer on CL for at least $100 and end up better than even! Not bad for my first gloat!:cool:

Carroll Courtney
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Congrs. on your fine jointer that you are now the proud owner.Its nice to come across a person that its not always about the money but giving.I'm sure(I would be)he is sad about giving up his hobby,but he's happy that he help improve someone else's hobby.---Carroll

Pat O'malley
09-12-2009, 9:38 PM
Nice score Jason, I just picked up the same jointer and ordered the same base from Amazon. Good to see your from N.W. IN. also...Pat

Mike Cruz
09-12-2009, 9:53 PM
Nice score. I have also found that those that are unloading stuff are practically willing to give away other stuff when the have a "buyer" come by. I sold a jointer today, and was happy to give him some "extras" I had lying around the shop that I may have put $5 here and $10 there on CL, because he could use them and I didn't have to deal with people saying they would show, then not...yada, yada, yada. He could use them, I didn't need them. They went to a good home. I was happy. Back to you. Congrats on your first gloat. Hope you have more to come.