PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a large granite mural

Darrell Janish
09-12-2009, 9:52 AM
Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum but have been reading and studying for quite some time now.

Does anyone have an idea of how to hang a large granite mural for a business behind their reception desk? it is 4' x 8' and weighs 160 lbs made from 8mm fiberglass reinforced granite

any ideas are MORE than welcome.

Dave Russell Smith
09-12-2009, 11:37 AM
What is the framing 2x4 wood or steel ?

Darrell Janish
09-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Hello Dave,

the structure is 2 x 4 wood studs with 5/8" fire retardant sheetrock. I was thinking maybe drill some holes and epoxy a french cleat. just not sure on the epoxy adn what would be sufficient.

Dave Russell Smith
09-12-2009, 12:02 PM
You could use 1/2 all thread into the 2x4 or mount backer board behind the granite piece and make it an inch narrower all round so it makes the granite stand out.
Then mount the granite on the four corners i've done this on a block wall with 4x6 3/4 solid granite.

Darrell Janish
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Yep, that would work.

The only issue I have with that is my customer does not want to see the anchors (yes, I failed to mention that first! told you I was new to this posting stuff :-). Thats why I was thinking that I could drill some holes from the back (not all the way through) and epoxy some anchors with the french cleat.

Picky customers you know! but of course I want to provide what they want if possible.

Dave Russell Smith
09-12-2009, 1:11 PM
I would'nt want any liability issues :eek: just because he did not want to see any form of fixing on the front unless you use some form of screw head cap to blend in with the Granite ? or you create a recess in the drywall then thinset in flush with the finish wall

Scott Shepherd
09-12-2009, 1:40 PM
Possibly something like this :

http://www.monarchmetal.com/pages/panelclip.html

Darrell Janish
09-12-2009, 2:05 PM
Thanks Scott,

This is a form of a French cleat, (just an upscale model). and this is what I was looking for. Thanks for the link, my only issue now is finding the best epoxy to attach it to the back of the granite. I know that i can drill several holes, I have a hammer drill and diamond tipped bit for ceramic and glass, but am wondering if you may know of anything that would be a good epoxy (i say epoxy but really just looking for an adhesive of some sort) that would be strong enough to anchor it into the granite.

Dave, I completely agree with not wanting the libility just because they dont want to see the anchors. if I do not feel confident with another alternative then that is what they will get or I will let them find someone else to hang it.

Scott Shepherd
09-12-2009, 3:06 PM
Darrell, I don't know of an epoxy that fits that bill, but I'm certain there is something out there. Here's a link to someone that would know. These guys are very sharp on that stuff and have helped me in the past.

http://www.chemical-concepts.com/

The show up at Trade Shows for sign makers, so they know a lot about signage and applications in that area.

Darrell Janish
09-12-2009, 3:19 PM
Thanks Scott,

looks like they will be able to help me, if not then it doesnt look like it can happen the way the customer wants. I will get with them and see what I can find out.

James Jaragosky
09-12-2009, 3:43 PM
Thanks Scott,

looks like they will be able to help me, if not then it doesn't look like it can happen the way the customer wants. I will get with them and see what I can find out.
Looking at the cleat-link that scott posted, you can get the same type of profile in .25 aluminum, right out of the rack at tractor supply. Just by twice the length you need and cut it in half.

The best adhesive anchor system I have ever used for stone is sold by Hilti. here is a link to one site that sells the stuff, However, many commercial construction supply houses sell it as well. I usually get mine from Granger American. It is not cheap it sets up fast, real fast; and it will work with anchor bolts or just threaded rod. a special applicator gun is needed to mix and apply the stuff and it is not cheap ether. once it sets up you will need hammer drill to remove the stuff. http://www.dowdconstructionsupply.com/Hiltianchorsandfasteners.html
Regards
Jim J.

Darrell Janish
09-12-2009, 4:17 PM
Thanks James,

with that information, and if it works out for me or course, I think your $.02 has went up to a quarter. this is very similar to the epoxy that I used to anchor J bolts in a foundation when my guys would forget to put them in the concrete when they were pouring stem walls. I just cannot remember the name for nothing.

this has been a GREAT first experience here in the forum. you guys really try to help and I appreciate that.

thanks a million!

Dan Hintz
09-12-2009, 4:49 PM
If none of that works for you, contact Belinda... she used to deal almost exclusively in natural stone, so if anyone can tell you from experience it's her...